Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion | Page 9 | Inside Universal Forums

Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Star Wars was a well loved triolgy well before the theme park ride. it's a little different.

I'm not saying it won't be successful, I am saying it's more of a gamble then say Potter was for Universal.

This is a calculated risk. Disney has piles of money, but they also love money and want more. They wouldn't put this much out for something they weren't sure would pay off. This won't, and can't be like Potter. Potter works by placing you into stories you are familiar with. I think this will be more like Splash Mountain than Potter. Something loosely based on a movie and its characters, but more of an experience.

This is a calculated risk. Disney has piles of money, but they also love money and want more. They wouldn't put this much out for something they weren't sure would pay off. This won't, and can't be like Potter. Potter works by placing you into stories you are familiar with. I think this will be more like Splash Mountain than Potter. Something loosely based on a movie and its characters, but more of an experience.

Yup. And it'll be spectacular if done right. And even if Avatar isn't beloved, it's still popular. And that's where I think the difference between franchises like Star Wars/Potter and Avatar lie. The former are popular and beloved, the second is popular. Will Avatar become beloved? Possible, but in my opinion unlikely.

That being said, it's probably going to be a great land, so the conversation is moot, IMO.

Avatar will never be beloved because the story isn't endearing enough to be.

You really don't connect with any of the characters, the only thing it had going for it as a film was the visuals. But as far as an enviroment, it could possibly be spectacular.

Have to see the movie sometime soon. But glad to see Disney's going to make a very immersive land. Sounds like it could be a really cool setting.

I agree with you. The idea of Avatarland at Disney makes me cringe, but when you picture Pandora on the map instead, it actually makes a lot more sense and I'm sure it's going to be inspire some amazing themed attractions and experiences.

But I do wish there didn't need to be such a reliance on properties like Avatar for the parks. Expedition Everest was a huge step in the right direction and I honestly think Disney can create their own stories and people will come and in droves like they did to AK when that ride opened. Acquiring properties like Avatar works for Universal. You're there to ride the movies. So I do agree with those who wish Disney would stick their originality guns, but I'm still really excited about the possibilities of what Disney can do with this.

I agree with you. The idea of Avatarland at Disney makes me cringe, but when you picture Pandora on the map instead, it actually makes a lot more sense and I'm sure it's going to be inspire some amazing themed attractions and experiences.

But I do wish there didn't need to be such a reliance on properties like Avatar for the parks. Expedition Everest was a huge step in the right direction and I honestly think Disney can create their own stories and people will come and in droves like they did to AK when that ride opened. Acquiring properties like Avatar works for Universal. You're there to ride the movies. So I do agree with those who wish Disney would stick their originality guns, but I'm still really excited about the possibilities of what Disney can do with this.

The yeti's problem was that he was too enthusiastic when taking his step forward and done near broked his-self!

This is such a tired argument. It makes no sense. Did purchasing the Twilight Zone stop the Tower of Terror from being one of the greatest attractions of our generation? Sure, there have been some bad character attractions, but the same can be said for "original" ones. Look at the abysmal failures of Golden Dreams, Superstar Limo, Journey into YOUR Imagination, the Timekeeper*, and the like. The greatest of an attraction has nothing to do with where the property from. It has everything to do with the quality of the execution, the entertainment value, and the overall guest experience.

*I LOVED that show, but almost no one else did.

Last edited:
This is such a tired argument. It makes no sense. Did purchasing the Twilight Zone stop the Tower of Terror from being one of the greatest attractions of our generation? Sure, there have been some bad character attractions, but the same can be said for "original" ones. Look at the abysmal failures of Golden Dreams, Superstar Limo, Journey into Imagination, the Timekeeper*, and the like. The greatest of an attraction has nothing to do with where the property from. It has everything to do with the quality of the execution, the entertainment value, and the overall guest experience.

*I LOVED that show, but almost no one else did.

What's the tired argument? That it'd be nice if parks weren't so scared to debut new, original attractions? I wasn't even specifically talking about Disney.. it applies for Universal and any other park in the same game. It seems nowadays like they won't spend much money to build anything that wasn't born in a marketing board room, doesn't already have a built-in fanbase, merchandise sales, a billion at the box-office, etc. But I get it. Obviously.

I actually really enjoyed Golden Dreams, The Timekeeper, and Journey Into Imagination in its original incarnation. Not sure what you were trying to prove there.

What's the tired argument? That it'd be nice if parks weren't so scared to debut new, original attractions? I wasn't even specifically talking about Disney.. it applies for Universal and any other park in the same game. It seems nowadays like they won't spend much money to build anything that wasn't born in a marketing board room, doesn't already have a built-in fanbase, merchandise sales, a billion at the box-office, etc. But I get it. Obviously.

I actually really enjoyed Golden Dreams, The Timekeeper, and Journey Into Imagination in its original incarnation. Not sure what you were trying to prove there.

Excuse me. I meant Journey into YOUR Imagination. The short lived attraction without Figment. Golden Dreams was nice, and Timekeeper was awesome. But they were always empty. They want butts in the seats. And nowadays, that's best accomplished by flashy movies and well know characters. Avatar is a great example. Simple story, but flashy imagery. The public ate it up. People won't sit a room full of singing birds and be amazed anymore. Those attractions now thrive on nostalgia. You can't blame it on the parks themselves. Most guests prefer things this way. That's why most people don't like Animal Kingdom as it is. It is one of Disney's most well themed and beautiful parks. But people blow it off now. It needs something like this. A bright light to draw all the moths in. Then maybe people will appreciate the rest of the park.

Excuse me. I meant Journey into YOUR Imagination. The short lived attraction without Figment. Golden Dreams was nice, and Timekeeper was awesome. But they were always empty. They want butts in the seats. And nowadays, that's best accomplished by flashy movies and well know characters. Avatar is a great example. Simple story, but flashy imagery. The public ate it up. People won't sit a room full of singing birds and be amazed anymore. Those attractions now thrive on nostalgia. You can't blame it on the parks themselves. Most guests prefer things this way. That's why most people don't like Animal Kingdom as it is. It is one of Disney's most well themed and beautiful parks. But people blow it off now. It needs something like this. A bright light to draw all the moths in. Then maybe people will appreciate the rest of the park.

I get it. The same thing can be said of Hollywood. We keep getting reboots and remakes and sequels, yet we know if they come up with something original and good (like Avatar.. don't start that with Pocahontas BS), that will put butts in seats just the same if not more. There's nothing wrong with what I said. I'm still excited for Pandora and beyond excited for Animal Kingdom. Everyone can sit down with their AK hate. It's my favorite park in WDW.

1) The themes of AVATAR coalesce with the themes of Animal Kingdom (conservation, intrinsic value of nature, etc.)
2) A movie franchise will draw in big crowds. Not Potter-sized crowds, but crowds nonetheless.
3) AVATAR's only real negative reviews pertained to the lack of story. James Cameron's visuals working with Disney's storytellers? Match made in heaven.
4) An indoor queue with hundreds of those bioluminescent plants has the potential to be the most beautiful queue ever. There really is potential here.
5) Animal Kingdom...full-day park now?

At first I wasn't for the idea, but I really support this decision. Disney, here's your attaboy! :thumbs: Ya dun good.

Buuuut I'll be a monkey's uncle if Disney builds any kind of B&M coaster.

You mean we actually might now get a full-day crowd on Dinosaur? :lol:

I think this, if executed properly, will be an absolutely stunning addition to the park. One thing I am puzzled about though, is where it'll be. Unless they take out Rafiki's Planet Watch, I can't find any room for it. The left side of Discovery Island is filled with essential backstage roads and buildings.

Status
Not open for further replies.