Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion | Page 7 | Inside Universal Forums

Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There's gonna be 4 attractions, 3 are, a helicopter tour of pandora (3D without the glasses), a nature trail, and a kiddie ride.

There's gonna be 4 attractions, 3 are, a helicopter tour of pandora (3D without the glasses), a nature trail, and a kiddie ride.
I'm assuming this is just your guesses, since nothings been announced yet since it's all Blue Sky.But I could see how one might not know yet, since Tom Staggs barely mentioned it in his "Q&A". :lol:

After thinking about this for a while, I believe this is a huge risk for disney just due to how successful the expansion is depends on the success of the sequels. And I think as previously mentioned they are going to flop hard in comparison to the original. The whole hype and what not will lead to great ticket sales on the first (just like Dead Man's Chest and Matrix Reloaded) regardless how great or bad the film will be. And if it is the latter than the third will fail hard and it will hardly be a selling factor for AK. Now everyone on here states about the whole potter vs disney, but I think a lot of you guys are taking for granted the actual average family Joe who book a holiday to Orlando. For example us Brits are I believe the most common tourist in Orlando and the average family may see "Harry Potter land" and book a holiday for that and go to Disney as well likewise a Disney holiday they will probably hit UOR as well. It benefits both parks, its not for example "we are going to potter land and that is all." *rant over*. (Sorry if this is really grammatically wrong I have been up for over 24hours now :doh:)

You do realize that both Pirates movies after Dead Man's Chest made over a billion dollars worldwide? To base an opinion that it's going to flop hard with no information other than that 2 sequels are coming is insane. We have no idea what to expect, therefore can't formulate an opinion on it.

Just because the sequels don't live up to the dominance of Avatar doesn't make it a flop, and to expect those expectations is unfair.

You do realize that both Pirates movies after Dead Man's Chest made over a billion dollars worldwide? To base an opinion that it's going to flop hard with no information other than that 2 sequels are coming is insane. We have no idea what to expect, therefore can't formulate an opinion on it.

Just because the sequels don't live up to the dominance of Avatar doesn't make it a flop, and to expect those expectations is unfair.

Maybe my post came across wrong, I was looking at it as a possibility. And the POTC films are some of my personal favourites so I wasn't really bad mouthing the franchise. I just don't see how it will be successful how can they make another two films, it will be interesting to see. And I think the whole hype has died, the original came out with 3D/amazing visuals - where can it go from here. I'm not necessarily saying it will flop, but I feel they could have done something better it is Disney after all and IMO they have there own better franchises then Avatar.

I'm assuming this is just your guesses, since nothings been announced yet since it's all Blue Sky.But I could see how one might not know yet, since Tom Staggs barely mentioned it in his "Q&A". :lol:

Disney has almost everything all laid out already. I'm sure they do because they already announced it to the whole world. It might change, but I'm sure they already have plans and concept art.

And I can bet that those 3 attractions are gonna be done, hurry up 2016 !

And I think the whole hype has died, the original came out with 3D/amazing visuals - where can it go from here.

It was a trending topic on Twitter within the hour, worldwide. It still has muscle.

I'm not necessarily saying it will flop, but I feel they could have done something better it is Disney after all and IMO they have there own better franchises then Avatar.

From Tom Staggs:
Some of you asked why we would choose to collaborate with an outside partner rather than use our own Disney characters and stories to expand the parks. We are as committed as ever to creating attractions and entertainment around favorite Disney characters and stories – with Cars Land at Disney California Adventure park and our expansion of Fantasyland at Magic Kingdom Park being two great examples. At the same time, we like to look beyond our own walls at non-Disney properties, like STAR WARS and INDIANA JONES, creating some of our most popular attractions. At the end of the day, we are focused on creating a great experience for our guests and I truly believe that this unique partnership with James Cameron and AVATAR gives us an entire world of imaginative creatures, fascinating locations and intriguing characters with which to do that.

I think with that quote, it's not so much they couldn't come up with something, but realized the amount of money they'd be raking in if they landed Avatar.

so is there gonna be 2 big trees at animal kingdom??

@Briman fair enough, I didn't read that though but makes sense. And it was trending on Twitter but pretty much if Disney announced anything new it would probably trend (but that doesn't take away from it)

I doubt there would be the "hometree" due to it clashing with the original AK tree, but it could happen. I'd rather have the tree of souls (not sure if its called that) or something along the lines of the bright colours and fancy stuff :lol: (but nothing at all is confirmed yet)

Last edited:
That patent for the "flying vehicle" doesn't seem to be an actual vehicle patent, but a show scene patent. As in, one of these bad boys would theoretically rise up with an AA Na'vi riding on it.

I doubt there would be the "hometree" due to it clashing with the original AK tree, but it could happen. I'd rather have the tree of souls (not sure if its called that) or something along the lines of the bright colours and fancy stuff :lol: (but nothing at all is confirmed yet)

But both trees where a BIG part of avatar...And i would be surprised if James Cameron didn't make them build both

Avatar is a MASSIVE franchise, but let's not point to Twitter as proof. I checked Twitter right after you guys mentioned it (about an hour or two after the announcement) and it was already gone. Know what's trending now? Raising Hope. And the 2000 straight-to-dvd film Hot Boyz, starring Gary Busey and Snoop, written and directed by Master P. Can't wait to see attractions based on those.

That patent for the "flying vehicle" doesn't seem to be an actual vehicle patent, but a show scene patent. As in, one of these bad boys would theoretically rise up with an AA Na'vi riding on it.

That would make sense, too. (But I honestly didn't read the patent, I just looked at the pics, so I can't say yay or nay.)

After thinking about this for a while, I believe this is a huge risk for disney just due to how successful the expansion is depends on the success of the sequels. And I think as previously mentioned they are going to flop hard in comparison to the original. The whole hype and what not will lead to great ticket sales on the first (just like Dead Man's Chest and Matrix Reloaded) regardless how great or bad the film will be. And if it is the latter than the third will fail hard and it will hardly be a selling factor for AK. Now everyone on here states about the whole potter vs disney, but I think a lot of you guys are taking for granted the actual average family Joe who book a holiday to Orlando. For example us Brits are I believe the most common tourist in Orlando and the average family may see "Harry Potter land" and book a holiday for that and go to Disney as well likewise a Disney holiday they will probably hit UOR as well. It benefits both parks, its not for example "we are going to potter land and that is all." *rant over*. (Sorry if this is really grammatically wrong I have been up for over 24hours now :doh:)

I've heard several people bring this up (and using the very same examples of Pirates and the Matrix) but if anything all it proves is that big-budget cg-heavy sequels make TONS of money, be they terrible or not, and keeps fans coming back--wanting more. The Matrix sequels? Terrible yet made $1,173,071,759 (not including Animatrix). Pirates sequels? Garbage and made $3,069,110,875. Transformers sequels? Megasucked and made $1,953,779,467. See a trend? If not, look also to the Jurassic Park, The Mummy, and Star Wars sequels and prequels for reference.

Also, look to trilogies like Indiana Jones, Toy Story, Potter, original Star Wars, etc. for instances where both money is made and the films were GOOD. I think Avatar is a win win for Disney either way. It just translates well into a theme park whether or not the film was great (much like TRON would).

Last edited:
I've heard several people bring this up (and using the very same examples of Pirates and the Matrix) but if anything all it proves is that big-budget cg-heavy sequels make TONS of money, be they terrible or not, and keeps fans coming back--wanting more. The Matrix sequels? Terrible yet made $1,173,071,759 (not including Animatrix). Pirates sequels? Garbage and made $3,069,110,875. Transformers sequels? Megasucked and made $1,953,779,467. See a trend? If not, look also to the Jurassic Park, The Mummy, and Star Wars sequels and prequels for reference.

Also, look to trilogies like Indiana Jones, Toy Story, Potter, original Star Wars, etc. for instances where both money is made and the films were GOOD. I think Avatar is a win win for Disney either way. It just translates well into a theme park whether or not the film was great (much like TRON would).

I see your point but I have to disagree with your film choices haha Potter films generally went dreadful and redeemed themselves with the final two. But I just don't see Avatar as big franchises as Star Wars, IJ, Pirates and even Transformers yet. I suppose how the films will be received. But I look forward to the attraction nonetheless but as I said previously it seems risky to me as I don't think it will have the same impact as say Potter.

How so? I didn't have a problem with Avatar as an attraction. I had a problem of the rumored attraction that was going to be in Universal, a 4-d movie in Hollywood.

Agreed, I didn't think it was a worthy enough of an attraction to replace T2, this is more worthy of the Avatar property for sure, but to replace T2 like the rumor was..nope

The more I think about it this area has a lot of potential. I could easily picture a FJ like ride with us in the Halo Hornet look alike ships or even a Pandora's Box like ride for it too. The only thing I see is that after looking at the patent and the picture it kind of reminded me of Pteranadon Flyers and Jurassic Park. The more I think about it I think there is a chance this could come out looking very Jurassic Park ish and Disney is going to have to work hard to avoid that. On another note I'm fairly surprised that Disney has chosen Avatar as it has some very adult overtones with the whole dominance of the animals before riding them and the ponytails and what not. However I am still very excited to watch this unfold over the next 4 to 5 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.