Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion | Page 6 | Inside Universal Forums

Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I love it, its already starting. :lol:

"Universal is better than Disney because they never add anything major, where are the E-tickets.?"
Boom-400-600 Million dollar addition to AK.

Well, if nobody ever bitched about anything, then we wouldn't have the Seven Dwarves coaster and an E-ticket to take some of the focus off Disco Yet, and his unfriendly twin brother Emo Yeti.

I love it, its already starting. :lol:

"Universal is better than Disney because they never add anything major, where are the E-tickets.?"
Boom-400-600 Million dollar addition to AK.

"I don't like it because it wont work at AK"
How can you judge anything we have NO INFO ABOUT?

Then there's the FLE opening over the next few years. A possible upgrade to Test Track. New stuff in Downtown Disney. A huge new Four Seasons Hotel. Mini golf at CityWalk. DM at USF. HD Spdierman. Probably WWOHP 2.0 and Transformers at Universal? It is a great time to be an Orlando theme park fan.

wow gone for a few weeks and I check the board to find huge news...

So here are my immediate thoughts..

I think this is a bigger gamble then a lot of people realize. For a few reasons.

#1..Despite being one of the largest money making films of all time, Avatar is NOT a proven mass market brand. Let's face it, Avatar was a good/decent flick that came out at the right place at the right time. It was the first true 3D spectacle film to come out, and was really an "event" film for that reason. Once the explosion settled there were a lot less people impressed with Avatar then say Star Wars: New Hope.

Now the success of this expansion really realies on the future sequels. Don't get me wrong, i think both films will do really well. Better then the first movie? Unlikely. What if the sequels flop and ruin the franchise? Remember how great the original Matrix was? Remember how the rest of the trilogy made the original seem less impressive? This is the biggest hurdle Cameron/Disney faces.

2. A whole land may be thinking too big. Now I can only really compare this expansion to Potter, because that's the closet example I can think of. Potter has a lot more background thanks to multiple books and films, where Avatar is limited to just films. Will people be as excited to drink Pandora juice as they are Butterbeer? I don't think so. The brand and following will not be large enough for the merchandising a whole land calls for.

Now for the positive thoughts...

3. This is definitely a good thing for Animal Kingdom, and it's also a great "theme" for the park. The giant tree even looks like their home tree (Spoiler:before it gets burned to the ground). The park itself is in desperate need for some new AAA attractions.

4. Given Cameron is behind this, expect it to be state of the art. What I really dont want, but Im sure we are getting, is another movie ride. I know some people think coasters are possible, but I just don't see it after they just built Everest. No, this ride will be a motion simulator for sure, especially considering that Avatar is a 3D movie. Look forward to a 3D theme park ride, hopefully with some killer AA..similar to Potter, without the 3D.

So you hype up a Q&A session with an announcement that has taken the world by storm, and all the answers beat around the bush....

Big swing and a miss on that one.

So you hype up a Q&A session with an announcement that has taken the world by storm, and all the answers beat around the bush....

Big swing and a miss on that one.

Yea. I think it was a mistake to do a Q and A when they have absolutely nothing designed or conceptualized on it.

The Q and A basically rehashed everything said earlier.

Yea. I think it was a mistake to do a Q and A when they have absolutely nothing designed or conceptualized on it.

The Q and A basically rehashed everything said earlier.

I think it did exactly what they wanted it to. People went nuts about it. I'm sure the same thing will happen when they release concept art and details. They probably have a lot designed and conceptualized, they would need something to pitch to Cameron. I just doubt anything has been approved.

I have to disagree with the mass market appeal not being there. It took the Twitter world by storm, and the movie was #1 in the Box Office for 2 months. It obviously has a big interest from a lot of people.

I think it did exactly what they wanted it to. People went nuts about it. I'm sure the same thing will happen when they release concept art and details. They probably have a lot designed and conceptualized, they would need something to pitch to Cameron. I just doubt anything has been approved.

I don't agree. They might have some ideas, nothing designed though. If there were designs, they would have given more than the nebulous time frame they gave, as well as Staggs giving more definite info, and not calling everything blue sky over and over.

This is a last minute, very quick thing, IMO.

I have to disagree with the mass market appeal not being there. It took the Twitter world by storm, and the movie was #1 in the Box Office for 2 months. It obviously has a big interest from a lot of people.

I don't think it'll be nearly as popular the second time around. Aside from someone here and there on the internet, I've heard nothing but ambivalence towards Avatar.

Not saying this won't be great or popular, but I don't think you'll see a pilgrimage here by mass amounts of people.

But it is at least half a decade away, so who knows what can change by then.

The announcement being today was likely more for stockholder purposes than anything else.

I think it seems really weird to just . . . announce it like they did. I don't even recall a "There's a huge announce coming soon" sort of thing. Is there really any reason to do that? Maybe for hype? It definitely side-swiped a lot of people, which would create buzz :shrug:

Just to chip in.....

I am indifferent to this going on at AK, just make it interesting. They need a dark ride, a coaster, and a water attraction, IMO.
I think it is a given that at the very minimum the new land will have two attractions very different in ride type. A 3D e-ticket is a must(duh) but a water ride I could really get behind. Kali Rapids is nice and all, but news of the sequel depicting the oceans of Pandora seems like an opportunity for Disney to get creative with water-incorporating rides. idk

Hoooooooly crap! As much as I hated that film, the theme park applications are virtually limitless.
Indeed. Even with the movie on mute, the visuals and creatures rendered on the planet of Pandora are astonishing to say the least. The filmmakers really did their homework to devise a believable and photorealistic alien world.

I still wish Beastly Kingdom would have become a reality. At least dragons are animals in a sense, whereas the Na'vi are a humanoid race with some animal-like features. It could be neat, though. Pandora was a very visually engaging world.
Like others have said, Pandora came with many "animals" shown which were not the Na'vi. The dragonish creatures, the horse-like creatures, the rhino-like creatures, the wolf-like creatures, etc. Here's a video showing many creatures from the film. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQLOgzcMON8

So the same people who hopped on the "OMFGG Avatar has NO oRiGiNaLiTy!" bandwagon are freaking out all over the interwebs about this project. It's funny.
To be fair, WWoHP had pretty much the same response from "non" fans, too.

That being said, we know almost nothing about what the project will entail, and I can't get overly excited about that.

I also can't let Disney off the hook for the maintenance over the last few years. It needs to improve along with adding things.

And while FLE isn't a response to Potter, this definitely is. Ceding control to a creator of a popular franchise and funding a lot of money to it (which they refused with Potter) obviously shows that they realize a mistake that they made.
I'm almost thinking the only benefit that revealing it this early is plainly news for the sake of news. They could have waited until Christmas or next spring when they would have some concept art. What was the rush. Uni made clear and concise plans before a public announcement for Potter. Did Cameron just want more attention/publicity boost? Did Disney release the news early to please shareholders? The world may never know.... And like IOA was spruced up with new paint jobs and maintenance before HP opened, Animal Kingdom will without a doubt receive some overdue TLC. And I 100% agree with the last remark about this being a direct response to Potter. Taking a park that needs rejuvenation and is less known by the masses by name and plopping an immersive, pricey, popular franchise themed land....yup, in no way is this a response to Potter. :bonk:

My final two cents:

Was it smart for them to come out with just an announcement or should they have held off for the next D23 to release the announcement with plans and concept art?

And lastly, my opinion of the possibility of a "Na'vi Mickey":

687fea91677be9103defb8dc0b97e8b7.gif

Last edited:

Air boating on a gator? a flying gator? :lol: JK, JK...

I just now saw this news and I'm actually pretty excited!
I think the world and creatures of Avatar are very beautiful and interesting, definitely more so than the plot ;)
2016?! That's a loooong wait! Let's hope the world doesn't end in 2012, huh?

Can't wait to hear more about this project and see some concept art!

Status
Not open for further replies.