Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Disney's Hollywood Studios (General Discussion)

Not to mention, what could they possibly do with a Star Wars land as far as a ride? They already have a 3D sim, to me the best would be a riding roller coaster similar to Knotts Berry Farms Pony Express and you're riding a speeder through the forest of Endor.

I love that idea!! I would like to see a few different locations fleshed out a bit...but $$ was probably the main reason for this never happening

Last edited:
I personally have always wanted a Greece pavilion. That thought goes down the toilet along with their entire country considering the economic meltdown they've faced recently.

SMH. I've really been hoping for a Hercules ride.

Eh, I doubt it. They've obviously shown there in no rush to add countries without the backing of a government.

"
Disney said room reservations for its fiscal fourth quarter are pacing 1 percent ahead of this time last year, with rates that are up 4 percent since then. Iger said the pace of bookings at Disneyland hotels are "substantially ahead" of Disney World's hotels, though the giant Orlando resort has roughly 10 times as many rooms as its California counterpart.
"

"
Disney Co. Chief Financial Officer Jay Rasulo said the company is not concerned that falling currency rates in other countries could make travel to the United States more expensive and deter travel, particularly to Disney World. Although traffic to Disney World from the United Kingdom and Canada declined during the quarter, he said, "that slack was completely picked up by Brazil and Argentina."

Nothing to see here, keep moving!

They added a tequila bar to Mexico, Pardisseididio 6792 and Campera Pollo to DtD strictly for the South Americans so a half-a$$ed pavilion is not out of the question.

Still no word of the type or scope of the DHS project, but I heard that Kathy Magnum personally went to Iger and asked for $1 Billion. $750 Million going to DHS. The rest to be spread around the resort for various upgrades. I am also hearing that she was not impressed with how TDO has been spending their money, ie: Executive bonuses.

I don't think the money has been approved yet though.

I wish I could go to my boss and ask for a billion dollars.

OK ... 3:13 a.m. ... going to drop in a quick post. A bit surprised everyone isn't in a tizzy over all the news and rumors (some much more accurate and fact-based than others) going round on this subject.

Lots of crazy conjecture (don't know if you can link to other blogs/sites here and don't want my first post to be my last), but boy did I read some wild stuff tonight.

Y'all know that Disney has to change the facade on the Chinese Theater because it 'lost the rights' (apparently, that was OK, so long as a giant 'toon hat was in front of it) ... and Disney is apparently gonna replace that facade with a Carthay Circle one (please don't tell the blogger that one already exists on Sunset Blvd. as I hear he has quite the temper). Well, I'm sorta waiting to see how active the boards are here before popping in regularly. But I do have a few friends here and it's nice to see them since they don't hang out (to my knowledge) over on another MAGICal site that I enjoy quite a bit.

Let's see how this works.

OK ... 3:13 a.m. ... going to drop in a quick post. A bit surprised everyone isn't in a tizzy over all the news and rumors (some much more accurate and fact-based than others) going round on this subject.

Lots of crazy conjecture (don't know if you can link to other blogs/sites here and don't want my first post to be my last), but boy did I read some wild stuff tonight.

Y'all know that Disney has to change the facade on the Chinese Theater because it 'lost the rights' (apparently, that was OK, so long as a giant 'toon hat was in front of it) ... and Disney is apparently gonna replace that facade with a Carthay Circle one (please don't tell the blogger that one already exists on Sunset Blvd. as I hear he has quite the temper). Well, I'm sorta waiting to see how active the boards are here before popping in regularly. But I do have a few friends here and it's nice to see them since they don't hang out (to my knowledge) over on another MAGICal site that I enjoy quite a bit.

Nice of you to finally drop in Spirit!
-Michael

Really awesome to see you here, Spirit. I read your stuff on Magic quite frequently, occasionally respond - I'd like to think you'll find a more balanced (or at the very least sane) audience here.

Any attention DHS receives, for the most part, is positive in my eyes. Rumors are nice, but permits, construction, and official confirmation is really the only way to go when discussing the current setup at Disney.

As much as I love the Chinese theater, I'd be okay with a Carthay Circle if it meant the death of the hat. That alone would make the park much better :lol:

Why doesn't Disney just renegotiate the contract with Mann Theaters? They are a $40 Billion multinational corporation, I am pretty sure they can afford it.

Well, there goes the neighborhood.:bolt:

Nice to see you here, in all seriousness. This is the poster formerly known at WDWMagic as SirGoofy/HokieSkipper at LP, Spirit. I hope to see you stick around. You're knowledge in the industry would be a nice add to our community here. We mostly focus on the Uni side of things, but when big things start at Disney we jump on it. And it seems to me that big things may be coming.

Again, glad to see you here.

Oh, and I think the "changing the GMR facade" was some patented Spirit sarcasm, everyone.

Why doesn't Disney just renegotiate the contract with Mann Theaters? They are a $40 Billion multinational corporation, I am pretty sure they can afford it.

But what if someone doesn't get a stupid bonus? How will they survive on the measly salary Disney pays them...

From tirian at WDWMagic, a reliable WDW informant:

Although I'm not '74 and don't have the full knowledge of this like he does, I can answer this question. It's a combination of both factors. Some of the current execs are retiring no matter what, but many of them are frustrated that their long-term plan of sitting on pixie dust and watching stupid tourists show up anyway has failed. It was inevitable: Universal has been adding substantial attractions while Disney simply raised prices. Tourists are smarter than they were ten years ago, and with online research many are choosing to cut a few days out of their WDW visits for a trip to Universal or Sea World. Guest survey responses are getting lower, with many of them claiming WWOHP as their favorite attraction. Theme park attendance has grown at every Disney park worldwide except Florida and Hong Kong. Plus, even though Universal will never reach the attendance levels of WDW, Uni is pulling in percentage gains while WDW dropped. Those numbers cannot be denied. Considering that WWOHP was just the beginning of Uni's Orlando expansion plan, WDW finally conceded that the FLE won't combat Potter or Transformers. FLE is a beautiful bandaid to fix the MK's current crowding issues and doesn't add much true capacity other than dining.

Remember, we're discussing people in those TDO offices; the successful turnarounds at Uni and DCA have damaged TDO's pride. Nothing is currently greenlit to help Florida any time soon. Avatar is a long-term pipe dream at DAK; and the FLE, while lovely, merely addresses existing concerns. NexGen has already raised significant issues in its testing phases. Meanwhile, Uni has WWOHP, a Potter expansion, Transformers, and multiple updates on the way—and DCA has Carsland and significant performance gains.

Good thing Florida has that enormous plastic hat in DHA to add MAGIC. Uni has the most cutting-edge ride in America.

Remember all those hints I dropped about Staggs' visit and the closed-door meeting at DAK? Corporate and TDO have finally gotten serious about improving WDW.

It's easy to talk about change, but enacting change is a lot more difficult. I'm going to remain cautiously optimistic until we see real progress.