Fantasyland Expansion - Part 2 | Page 90 | Inside Universal Forums

Fantasyland Expansion - Part 2

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
ha..the photo pass people are too much. I bet they try to stop people on the way to the bathrroom all the time.

Sir can I take your photo?
No, I have to take a ****.

When I was there, families all over the place where taking pictures of the kids with the bathroom in the background, so of course Disney is going to try and capitalize on that. :)

Disney is innovating with attractions, but not with rides (patience grasshopper). All rides are attractions; not all attractions are rides. It's all good fill for some crazy exciting rides down the road.

The next generation of theme parks, or any successful business for that matter, will focus on overall customer experience. If you want new rides, Universal & other parks are providing that for you while you wait. Competitive parks earn more (plus proper ROI) when they stagger their big attractions. Universal is finally catching up, so the next wave of Disney rides will be worth the wait.

I guess I should raise my hand that I actually am more Disneyfan than Universal. Some people don't think that... :lol:

How old-fashioned...haha kidding of course..Magic Kingdom still wows me to this day at the level of detail and themeing, too bad I like IOA a little bit better

Think about sports bars around major facilities across the country. A sports bar next to a team that puts forth effort year in and year out makes killer money. These are teams that are constantly reinvesting capital to there programs and give people a reason to sell out games. People come for the games but stay for the booze and food from sports bars as well as street side vendors. Now look at Sports bars that are next to facilities with teams who never reinvest capital. Those places are busy at first but without something to attract them back, they begin to wither and fail. This is an off the wall and extreme example but I'm just trying to give a different perspective.

This is an interesting analogy. The Maple Leafs in Toronto are akin to Disney. They are the "be all and end all" of NHL sports teams, but they continue to suck. Yet the games are always sold out and quite expensive. Eventually however the public may begin to sour, it just takes a long time for them to milk the life out of it.

So what exactly is this coaster going to entail? Like I remember seeing concept art but what is the story on it? Im intrigued bc its really looking to be a fantastic addition.

I guess I should raise my hand that I actually am more Disneyfan than Universal. Some people don't think that... :lol:

The past few trips I've had, I have been MUCH more excited to visit Uni. That being said, this is the first time I've ever felt that way in many trips. Show me a Magic Kingdom visitor who looks unhappy the entire time and I'll show you a liar (or a very good actor.) I'm with you on this one.

This is why people think some of you are "trolls"..although I've been called a "fanboy" for being one of the few people on this forum that sticks up for Disney occasionally. SO whatever, its' all just opinion. Though I question how much of your opinion is in reality with statements like this.

Disney is popular because it's a fun place to visit for a LOT of people. Plain and simple.
Do their attractions appeal to young families opposed to late teens and 20 somethings? Yes.
Do they rely a lot on nostalgia business? Yes.
Have they spent more time and money building their resort then updating their parks? Yes.
Does this make Disney a terrible theme park/resort to visit? No.

Disney is still the number one tourist attraction in Orlando for very good reason. They are a very very well oiled machine. As mentioned earlier in this thread, they have the "vacation resort" experience down pat. It's something that Universal Orlando is trying to replicate as well. Disney has thought of everything, every detail.

I'll give you a perfect example from my recent trip.
Due to my daughter wearing her birthday button, almost every employee, character, and even people in that parade wished her a happy birthday.
There is literally something going on at all times in the park, wether it be the opening ceremony, the entrance of the mayor(?) to mainstreet, the lowering of the flag at dusk with the national anthem, street performers, the many many character meet and greets, the multiple parades, castle shows, fireworks, etc. You could literaty not go on ANY rides and be entertained.
That's the "magic" experience that you feel at Disney. It operates like no other theme park I've been too.
It's much more of an "expereicne" then Universal Orlando is. They do not even come close in my opinion, and I have been to both parks considerably more in the past decade.
On a final note..
A month after we returned from our vacation, we were sent a "Thank you card" from Disney with all the characters signatures. It's small touches like this that put them above the competition.

Someone brought up Springfiled earlier...so we are getting some extra places to eat and drink, and possibly a new spinner? And this is such a great expansion? I understand the love for the Simpsons brand, and I want a Flaming Moe/Homer too, but the overall enthusiasm over there, compared to the general disgust and cyncism over here just further proves the point that this is really a Universal Orlando message board, with other theme park related news as an afterthought.

Now I'm completely fine with that, as Universal is building amazing things, and I look forward to progress every day on this site, but to try and deny that is really really silly. This forum is not "fair and balanced" in any sense.

Forums are very rarely fair and will always have a bias one way or the other which is fine. It just so happened that the majority of poster here fit in to Universal demographic more than Disney’s plus there are a lot of vocal locals with APs that scuew the debate. The majority of guests to both parks will only visit once every few years or so and not a few times a year so there expectations will be different. Also it is true to say Disney hasn’t set the world on fire with new innovative rides so they do deserve the bashing they get sometimes, BUT rides as you say are only a percentage of what makes a theme park and with Potter Universal is trying to address that which is great and can only be good as it may give Disney a kick to respond.

However I agree whole heartedly with you that Universal as a long way to go before matching Disney’s overall experience and I get frustrated sometimes reading posts here that dismiss Disney for not been innovative. As I have posted before interactive queue for me are almost as important as the physical ride. All I care about when visiting a theme park is to be entertained from entering to leaving and doing a snake queue such as Despicable Me seeing the same loop on the screens at least 3 times doesn’t do that and there goes an hour of my day. What percentage of your time in a theme park is spent actual physically on a ride compared to queuing, walking round taking pictures and eating and drinking? These aspects Disney wins hands down as an overall experience for me

All I care about when visiting a theme park is to be entertained from entering to leaving and doing a snake queue such as Despicable Me seeing the same loop on the screens at least 3 times doesn’t do that and there goes an hour of my day. What percentage of your time in a theme park is spent actual physically on a ride compared to queuing, walking round taking pictures and eating and drinking? These aspects Disney wins hands down as an overall experience for me

^Well put. Rides are not even 50% of what makes a park enjoyable. See, thats where six flags or fairs come in, if you just want rides, no great theming and shows.

I could go to Disneys Magic Kingdom and not ride anything and have a great time. Try that at Universal, it'll probably take you 1 hour to see everything. (I know thats gonna change soon). IOA is different but can be better.And the Despicable Me switch backs are horrible.

Last edited:
^Well put. Rides are not even 50% of what makes a park enjoyable. See, thats where six flags or fairs come in, if you just want rides, no great theming and shows.

I could go to Disneys Magic Kingdom and not ride anything and have a great time. Try that at Universal, it'll probably take you 1 hour to see everything. (I know thats gonna change soon). IOA is different but can be better.And the Despicable Me switch backs are horrible.

I couldn't agree more. I love the interactive queue. Heck my child loves the dumbo queue waiting area better than she does the ride itself. To now play in a play area for 30 minutes instead of standing in line is a HUGE win for most people on vacation. It is the one ride that we have to ask the people to let us in the regular line with our stroller because we want to wait in line - lol

Do I think even Disney can do better in this area? Yes. Like HM, they could have made it more interactive for a longer period of time. Having it interactive at the very end just makes it strange because you slow down the line at the end. So I would have liked it to be a longer portion of line instead of squeezed in at the end. Pooh's play area could use some re-thinking to allow the kids to play longer in the play area while one adult waits in line, they could be picked up much later in the line than they are now. I think because of how it ramps up, it was harder to do this, but they could have maybe done it some way. But the screens are fun also to play with after that play area. SM on less busy days they should stop the switchbacks and allow the line to back up to the interactive stuff. I know on busy days they need those switchbacks at the end, but not on slower days. I think the interactive line would be more used then. I have not seen the new Pirates or Thunder Mountain ones.

I hope Disney continues this trend and even does more like Dumbo, I think that one is a HUGE success and really is worth Disney's money. I know many say they just added a second dumbo, but I personally think that was one of the most innovative best things in all of FLE, it really showed what a try theme park could do with a families time and improve it. Lets face it, no matter what the parks do there will ALWAYS be lines, especially in busy seasons, so if they could make those lines more enjoyable, I say go for it.

It would take me an hour to see everything at MK without riding anything too. What's your point?

- - - Updated - - -

Do I think even Disney can do better in this area? Yes. Like HM, they could have made it more interactive for a longer period of time. Having it interactive at the very end just makes it strange because you slow down the line at the end. So I would have liked it to be a longer portion of line instead of squeezed in at the end.

Yes, let's stick some more ridiculous mood altering playground in front of the Mansion. Great idea!

It would take me an hour to see everything at MK without riding anything too. What's your point?

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, let's stick some more ridiculous mood altering playground in front of the Mansion. Great idea!

I don't think you could see all the street performers, stores, parades, castle shows, and other general walking around seeing facades in an hour at MK.

And I did not say add more stuff, it is not a playground. It has some cool effects and when I am line, most people around me think they are cool. I was saying space them out a little more throughout the whole line. Ending with the original area of tombstones to read. I like the queue at HM, I see nothing wrong with what they added. It is some cool stuff they put there and people enjoy playing with it.

I don't think you could see all the street performers, stores, parades, castle shows, and other general walking around seeing facades in an hour at MK.

Nor could you do the same with Universal Studios.

And I did not say add more stuff, it is not a playground. It has some cool effects and when I am line, most people around me think they are cool. I was saying space them out a little more throughout the whole line. Ending with the original area of tombstones to read. I like the queue at HM, I see nothing wrong with what they added. It is some cool stuff they put there and people enjoy playing with it.

People like playing with Xboxes too, but I don't want them added into a queue.

It ruined the overall flow of the Mansion. I've been over this plenty of times, so I don't feel like explaining again.

Nor could you do the same with Universal Studios.

Studios is much smaller than MK and has less street performers. I don't think you could do studios in an hour, but I think it would take much less time to do studios as there is less theming to look at and less street performances, parades, and shows. Being a working studio, most of the things to look at are just plain buildings. This could also be said about DHS too. So it is not a slam on Universal Studios, just more of a nature of the park itself. MK also has more unique stores and places to eat than studios. Again it is a smaller park, so it is going to have less things to do outside of just the rides themselves.

People like playing with Xboxes too, but I don't want them added into a queue.

It ruined the overall flow of the Mansion. I've been over this plenty of times, so I don't feel like explaining again.

You have very strong opinions about stuff and no one is going to change your mind. I see that throughout most of your posts. But you have to admit that people enjoy the stuff at HM, but I also agree the flow of the line was messed up, hence why I think the stuff should have been more spread out to not just slow down the end of the line. This is not an xbox game shoved at the end of the line, it is cool effects you can't get at home. It is something neat to look at that is different than stuff you have at home. People have xboxes at home and to compare the too is like comparing apples and oranges.

I think we've beaten this debate to death now. Let's please try to keep it to strictly FLE talk.

Sorry... back on topic for me :bolt:

So for those of you that have seen Belle's M&G walk thru/story. Is it worth a 50 minute wait? I never go because the wait is way too long, but was wondering if it was worth it. Wish I could have gone during softs, but my LO was in the hospital.

So for those of you that have seen Belle's M&G walk thru/story. Is it worth a 50 minute wait? I never go because the wait is way too long, but was wondering if it was worth it. Wish I could have gone during softs, but my LO was in the hospital.

I never did for that reason as well. I went when they were doing technical rehearsals at night and the wait still never went under 30 minutes. I'm sure its cute enough for the kiddies but it seems like its not my thing. I heard that the effects are neat, though waiting almost an hour for a painting to turn into a door seems silly to me as that would be the only part to catch my fancy.

It's a tough call, quite honestly. It boasts some pretty fanatastic AA's and effects (the mirror), and is definitely something that little ones will enjoy. My gripes are that a majority of the wait is done outside and that not everyone will get to actually meet Belle.

Nothing in the FLE IMO is worth a 50 minute wait. Haunted Mansion on the other hand...