Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion (Opens 2014) | Page 560 | Inside Universal Forums

Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion (Opens 2014)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Poll Closed

• Yes

Votes: 154 88.0%
  • No

Votes: 21 12.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, the Grand Opening for WWOHP 1.0 was pretty much a complete cluster in regards to crowd control. Universal was caught completely by surprise by this:

54408252.jpg

jh, you beat me to the punch.

I wasn't in Orlando during the opening of phase 1, but will be for phase 2. Does anyone know how Universal handled the crowds on opening day for phase 1? I assumed they did something similar to what they do during peak season and give out cards letting people know what time they can enter the Harry Potter section of the park... I really want to brave the crowds and go on opening day for phase 2. I know Universal could do something different regarding the crowds, but would like to know the details of what they did in the past.

Prepare to die a slow, painful, crowd-filled death :lol:

But seriously, just realize that opening day for phase 1, the line for the park itself spilled way into Citywalk. Be prepared to be disappointed or wait all night in a line and possible be among some of the first in (if you're lucky...)

On opening day the crowed was held in line starting from Jurassic Park around the park, out the gate in front of Hard Rock. There was a capacity limit and so once space opened up and people left they allowed more people in. It was a cluster to say the least. I got in around 11am, when I was leaving around park close at 8pm that night I heard people still being let in, they had waited 12 hours in line.

Not to say it won't be super crowded, but I don't see it attracting quite the number that the first opening did.

Not to say it won't be super crowded, but I don't see it attracting quite the number that the first opening did.

Then you really don't know the Potter crowd :lol:
Although it's a possibility, you have to realize this is like the Holy Meca for Potterheads, and we tend to be a bit crazy. People who went to the opening for phase 1 will come for the opening of this just to say 'I went to Diagon Alley, and then rode the Hogwarts Express!'.
Although it may not be as large as last time, I guarantee you it will be very similar...

Okay, thanks. I was aware of how the crowds looked, as I was keeping up with all this at home. I just didn't know what Universal did inside the park regarding crowd control. I'm an AP holder, so it will all depend how I feel that day if I want to wait in line haha.

The only different between phase 1 opening and phase 2 opening is hopefully Uni has learned their lesson and will have better crowd control plans. I think the crowds will be just as insane. Think of this, the economy is doing better than it was 5 years ago. So more people might be able to afford the trip this time around.

Okay, thanks. I was aware of how the crowds looked, as I was keeping up with all this at home. I'm an AP holder, so it will all depend how I feel that day if I want to wait in line haha.

Oh, okay. I was looking at your post like it had 3 heads, because I would NEVER risk those sorts of crowds. I'll wait till September - November (withholding Halloween Horror Nights), avoid the heat and crowds thank you very much :p

I think the HE will make day one a mess. It's going to be even harder to balance the crowds since you'll have people coming from in and out of the park. Will there be two lines? Will you have to go from the HE to the back of the existing line? Peoples heads will be spinning.

The only different between phase 1 opening and phase 2 opening is hopefully Uni has learned their lesson and will have better crowd control plans. I think the crowds will be just as insane. Think of this, the economy is doing better than it was 5 years ago. So more people might be able to afford the trip this time around.

The only thing with Phase 2, is that I can see a crowd waiting to enter Universal Studios to go directly into Diagon Alley. While another group is waiting to get into Islands of Adventure to take the Hogwarts Express over to the expansion.

its going to be nutso crowded. I'll wait unitil the hysteria dies down before attempting to make a trip..lol.

In general I hate crowded places. Its a wonder I like theme parks at all.

- - - Updated - - -

is it confirmed the ride will be 3D?

If thats the case...then yeah...I dont see this being much of a coaster at all. Just a dark ride. Maybe similar to Indy/Dinosaur?

I think the HE will make day one a mess. It's going to be even harder to balance the crowds since you'll have people coming from in and out of the park. Will there be two lines? Will you have to go from the HE to the back of the existing line? Peoples heads will be spinning.

Add that in with people who have no idea about the park ticket requirements to ride the express.... Eek

The only thing with Phase 2, is that I can see a crowd waiting to enter Universal Studios to go directly into Diagon Alley. While another group is waiting to get into Islands of Adventure to take the Hogwarts Express over to the expansion.

Man, you beat me to it! I thaught well, since 95% plus of the crowd knows that its in USF, so thats where theyll go & where the lines will be insane, & the other 5% will be smart enough to go to IOA, & get to the new expansion on the HE that way, so going to IOa on the grand opening might be the smartest option to get in faster with less of a wait, not to mention a majority of that crowd who only has a 1 day, 1 park ticket who cant go to IOA anyways, so going to IOA, especially for us AP holders, is sounding better & better.

Actually, the Grand Opening for WWOHP 1.0 was pretty much a complete cluster in regards to crowd control. Universal was caught completely by surprise by this:

54408252.jpg

jh, you beat me to the punch.

That's insane. I wonder if this time Universal will set up some makeshift tents along the queue so people will have some respite from the sun during their epic wait.

Im sure this was asked, but what about people who wanted to go to USF that day? Did they keep a space off to the side for a seperate line for those just wanting to go to USF? Might not be that simple when the new expansion opens with great crowds wanting to go into both parks on opening day.

I'm guessing for crowd control and capacity issues, they'll have to control opening day entry into Diagon Alley at one spot. Maybe they won't allow entry from the Hogsmeade side of HE.

Status
Not open for further replies.