Jurassic World VelociCoaster Construction Thread (Opening June 10) | Page 125 | Inside Universal Forums

Jurassic World VelociCoaster Construction Thread (Opening June 10)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
do they have any little skiffs that they use in there for maintenance? also, how deep is the water?

I know for a fact there is a maintenance bay for boats right beside where the main lift into the big building begins. I believe it is accessed just to the right after you turn into the carnivore area.

From what it looks like in the picture, that empty space has access to a ramp which leads to the main service road backstage. I'm not sure what they would be pulling in and out of the water from that ramp, but whatever it is, a second ultrasaur probably would've blocked it off.

Or, that ramp was originally intended for service to animatronics and it really was just a budget cut. It seems weird that they would design Orlando's River Adventure to purposefully be inferior to Hollywood's.

No not on the rider's right. I know they tucked the ramp back there. I am speaking towards the rider's left. Behind the current ultrasaur, there is an identical bay/open space that is angled in the same direction as the one holding the current ultrasaur. It screams out to me at least, an intended design for another figure. Not sure if I am being too fanciful, or if the site was designed to accommodate one, only later to see it cut out of the budget.

Also, was it a result of the Hollywood design, or were they in fact at one point trying to improve on the Hollywood design.

I think you're seeing things, as there's no additional bay there at all. Here's a shot of the ride dry to give you a clearer view:

jKg0y5Y5Zoi8R.jpg

I didn't say there was an additional bay...in that same picture with the water filled in, the OP marked one area with an X and question mark...above that is a ramp, not a maintenance bay. I'm not sure how Jurassic Park maintenance works...but if there was ever any reason for a boat (maybe for cleaning or something) to be lowered into the water, I would assume that's how they would do it, meaning they would need the area by that ramp clear and free of AA's. That was my initial guess.

Maybe it's completely pointless, but if you look in the original picture, you can see a ramp which must have had some intention initially. You can see it in your picture with all the water drained out as well, but it's harder to make out because there's no water.

That's a pretty cool picture though.

Last edited:
So, moving a bit sideways, does anyone in the biz know why there are concrete walls surrounding each water dino? They have always driven me nuts as they are so damned visible and kill any hope for seeing things as "authentic".

Thanks for info all. I agree with everyone, but at the same time while the pit wasn't installed next to it (nice pic btw), it still strikes me as odd that they designed the lagoon larger than it needs to be with those two rocks to the immediate left of the ultrasaur, almost framing a spot for another figure. Doesn't anyone else think someone along the way was looking to populate that empty area? Why make it a larger lagoon, when it could have been framed in better visually with landscaping?

And, Teebin, I agree, the concrete walls have always bothered me too. Either raise the water level more, dye the water more, or something. I don't understand them.

So, moving a bit sideways, does anyone in the biz know why there are concrete walls surrounding each water dino? They have always driven me nuts as they are so damned visible and kill any hope for seeing things as "authentic".

Maybe so they can drain that isolated area if need be? :shrug:

Maybe so they can drain that isolated area if need be? :shrug:

Perhaps, but all water is still above the surrounds. The water cannot be drained unless they lower the water level of the entire system. I cannot find the logic in it. I am sure there is a reason, but am equally sure there is a better and more artistic solution.

Last edited:
Perhaps, but all water is still above the surrounds. The water cannot be drained unless they lower the water level of the entire system. I cannot find the logic in it. I am sure there is a reason, but am equally sure there is a better and more artistic solution.

Lowering the surrounding water by like a foot is still quite a lot less than draining the whole thing.

I believe that the AA is anchored inside of its own concrete housing, independent of the main lagoon and substantially visibly because the internal supports require it to be above the base of the basin.

I believe that the AA is anchored inside of its own concrete housing, independent of the main lagoon and substantially visibly because the internal supports require it to be above the base of the basin.

Well, the water covers both areas... so why the concrete walls? The anims are far deeper in their own little basements below the 18" of water in the attraction. What I am really wondering is why the anim areas aren't smooth drop-offs instead of the walled holes underwater.

Perhaps a darkening or murky stain would solve both issues.

Last edited:
If anyone is interested, I went on JPRA yesterday. Mostly everything looked good, except for the water-spitting little fella on the left hand side. He was static and his head was hanging down on the ground and all the wires and innards were exposed. Very bad show.

1: The channel walls are there to maintain the flow of water or current thru the channel to carry the boats along after the first short drop in a constant repeating forward wave motion.
2: The dino walls are there because of how high the water effect needs to be for the illusion and the need to stop or redirect most of the aggressive lower water current action and calm the upper wave action from taking its toll on the dinos.

If you watch a POV video you will see as the boat makes the drop the wave starts adding to the current flow then just after you go thru the doors and come around the corner you can see the rippling of the current in the channel and the calmer water just after the concrete wall that surrounds the dinos which directs as much of that kinetic energy down the river carrying the boat along.

Great info Wreck, thanks! I just looked at the USH ultrasaur lagoon again. It does not have the excess space on the rider's left as Orlando does. Much tighter scene over in California.

I have to think that Orlando's gap was intended for something at some point. Again on rider's left behind current ultrasaur

1: The channel walls are there to maintain the flow of water or current thru the channel to carry the boats along after the first short drop in a constant repeating forward wave motion.
2: The dino walls are there because of how high the water effect needs to be for the illusion and the need to stop or redirect most of the aggressive lower water current action and calm the upper wave action from taking its toll on the dinos.

If you watch a POV video you will see as the boat makes the drop the wave starts adding to the current flow then just after you go thru the doors and come around the corner you can see the rippling of the current in the channel and the calmer water just after the concrete wall that surrounds the dinos which directs as much of that kinetic energy down the river carrying the boat along.

Thanks, that is a very good explanation. I can see where 5000 small pulses of water per day could do damage over time. How in hell did you know this? Are you in the biz?

Last edited:
Great info Wreck, thanks! I just looked at the USH ultrasaur lagoon again. It does not have the excess space on the rider's left as Orlando does. Much tighter scene over in California.

I have to think that Orlando's gap was intended for something at some point. Again on rider's left behind current ultrasaur

That's the only knock I have on JPRA at IOA. It's always felt like it needs some more AA dinosaurs.

Status
Not open for further replies.