Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Bands, Brew, and BBQ 2014

Think about it: most (if not all) of the bands playing at the SWO/BGT BBB 2014 event are HAS-BEENS. They haven't been relevant for 10-40+ years. While they were once extremely hot acts that have made their mark on music history, their star(s) has faded and they've now been relegated to playing THEME PARKS and STATE FAIRS. Not exactly the arenas they were once filling in their heydays. These artists are simply trying to stay out of controversy and maintain the little bit of their empire that they have left. Yes, I call them cowards, but I'm also a hypocrite in doing so, because I don't blame them for doing it. In a year or two, once all this sh!tstorm fallout blows over, they're going to be trying to come back and perform at SWO and BGT. In the meantime, Lance over at Screamscape posed a great idea (that he seems to have removed from his site, because I can't find it listed anymore) of how this could all work in SeaWorld's favor--whether temporarily or for the long-run--by bringing in much more affordable DJs and cover bands. No, it's not the same as seeing The Beach Boys or .38 Special, but it would shift the focus of the event from the BANDS to the beer and food…which could (potentially) make SWO/BGT a bigger profit.

The future of this is going to be interesting. Now that SeaWorld is starting to fight back, and now that it's come out that the lead OSHA investigator is all "buddy-buddy" with the Blackfish production team, it's going to be fascinating to see how SeaWorld fights and hopefully wins this battle. I would think that if SWO can actually prove that "the film" is filled with falsehoods, they would have legal channels to follow in their fight against the backlash caused by this LIE. Furthermore, I would think that they'd have a chance to go after OSHA in regards to the blatant conflict of interest between the OSHA investigator (Lara Padgett) and the Blackfish producers and maybe, JUST MAYBE get the green light to get trainers in the water with the orcas again during shows. SeaWorld is playing their hand very cautiously right now, and I suspect they'll whip out the big guns and start blazing away when the time is right. In the meantime, we need to show our support in any way that we can.

Most haven't RELEGATED to playing theme parks. Most of these bands have just worked a good relationship with Sea World through the years and Sea World has become their Orlando stop every year. A lot of these acts, while they aren't selling out arenas are playing clubs consistently or are the opening act on another artists tour. While I agree they haven't many haven't been relevant in a good while, they still pull in good numbers on tour based on the fact that they were at one point fairly popular.

And Universal has clearly shaken the idea that playing a theme park is a bad thing with the names that they've been able to draw. Sea world just doesn't quite get that level of talent.

Most haven't RELEGATED to playing theme parks. Most of these bands have just worked a good relationship with Sea World through the years and Sea World has become their Orlando stop every year. A lot of these acts, while they aren't selling out arenas are playing clubs consistently or are the opening act on another artists tour. While I agree they haven't many haven't been relevant in a good while, they still pull in good numbers on tour based on the fact that they were at one point fairly popular.

And Universal has clearly shaken the idea that playing a theme park is a bad thing with the names that they've been able to draw. Sea world just doesn't quite get that level of talent.

Well Universal can afford bigger talent because they are...well..Universal...Sea World and Busch aren't so lucky in this regard

Well Universal can afford bigger talent because they are...well..Universal...Sea World and Busch aren't so lucky in this regard
Well yeah. I wasn't comparing the two events and saying SW should step up to Uni's level - that's never gonna happen. They do however tend to get pretty decent and relevant Country acts though.

Most of those acts are also victims of their own success, many fans just want to hear the hits (quilty) and tour more during the Summer. I am sure they get paid a pretty penny to play a hour show and the other park benifits that get thrown their way.

As someone who has family and friend connections to the booking agency of at least two of the bands that backed out of this, I can assure you that the bands in question have been RELEGATED to playing theme parks. They take what they can get, for as much as they can get. Period. And SeaWorld is one of their better clients at this stage in their careers. Man, how I wish I could tell some stories about these and some other groups (HILARIOUS!!!), but I can't.

Universal has indeed proven itself to be the exception to the rule, most likely due to the fact that they have more money to pay for top-end acts. And I suspect that as they continue to invest BILLIONS into their resorts, their appeal to big-name acts will only grow.

Last edited:
Because of agreements with promoters and venues, theme park shows are for bands on the way up or the way down in their careers. Really BIG name acts are contractually tied (by Ticketmaster, Live Nations and others) to certain venues and can't play another venue within a certain distance. When I worked for Six Flags in New Jersey we had the same problem because Great Adventure is so close to New York, Philadelphia and Atlantic City and those venues got the big name acts while we got has-beens and new acts.

Because of agreements with promoters and venues, theme park shows are for bands on the way up or the way down in their careers. Really BIG name acts are contractually tied (by Ticketmaster, Live Nations and others) to certain venues and can't play another venue within a certain distance. When I worked for Six Flags in New Jersey we had the same problem because Great Adventure is so close to New York, Philadelphia and Atlantic City and those venues got the big name acts while we got has-beens and new acts.

Absolutely 100% correct. I'm sorry, I was focusing on the established "has-beens" that are down in their careers, and wasn't focusing on some of the newer talent (that doesn't seem to have officially backed out yet--they probably can't afford to and need the exposure/$$$ as much as possible. That is speculation, however). Busch and SeaWorld make pretty heavy use of new, rising talent as well as the older established acts. I've seen numerous "up and coming" acts at BGW over the years, sandwiched in between Loverboy, Mister Mister, and other acts still out there doing the theme park/state fair circuit.

Regarding the example you gave for Six Flags, I've seen it happen at other Six Flags parks as well. Six Flags America (Washington, DC-area) was usually VERY weak on "new talent" in that many of the acts from their summer concert series were from artists so new, I'd never even heard of them and the majority of people going in to see them were teeny-boppers and their parents. Busch Gardens Williamsburg always blew them away on the acts that they brought in…they also probably had bigger budgets than SFA as well and didn't have to contend with the fact that Verizon Center (or comparable facility) wasn't a 20 minute drive away from the park.

Universal does have one BIG advantage it their relationships with Comcast/NBC/Universal because they can offer artists a deal that may be multi-faceted (appearances on TV shows, etc.) if they agree to play at the parks.

BGT announcement
Bands, Brew & BBQ is back for its seventh straight year, and it’s bigger than ever! This year’s event kicks off with five time BMI Pop Award-winning artist Jason Derulo, who will be performing chart-topping hits like "Watcha Say," "In My Head," "Ridin' Solo," "Don't Wanna Go Home" and "It Girl."

On Sunday, Feb. 9, the opening weekend of Bands, Brew & BBQ rocks on with Rock-n-Roll Hall of Famer Dickey Betts and Great Southern, followed by The Marshall Tucker Band.

BBBLogo.jpg

JASON DERULO, DICKEY BETTS AND GREAT SOUTHERN, AND THE MARSHALL TUCKER BAND
KICK OFF BANDS, BREW & BBQ LINEUP

Guests Eat Big-Name Barbecue, Get Rockin’ With Live Music
And Enjoy 100+ Beers Over 10 Concert Days

TAMPA, Fla. (Feb. 3, 2014) – Starting this Saturday, Feb. 8, Bands, Brew & BBQ is back for its seventh straight year, and it’s bigger than ever! Busch Gardens® Tampa’s smokin’ hot festival is filling every Saturday and Sunday, Feb. 8 through March 9, with an unlimited sampling of more than 100 specialty and craft beers, saucy barbeque from the bay area’s most popular restaurants and live concerts from some of the biggest names in music.

The Gwazi Park stage sizzles with music throughout the day. Headline concerts start at 5 p.m. and the field will open at noon. The full concert area is free to guests and located just behind the Gwazi rollercoaster.

This year’s event kicks off with five time BMI Pop Award-winning artist Jason Derulo, who will be performing chart-topping hits like "Watcha Say," "In My Head," "Ridin' Solo," "Don't Wanna Go Home" and "It Girl."

On Sunday, Feb. 9, the opening weekend of Bands, Brew & BBQ rocks on with Rock-n-Roll Hall of Famer Dickey Betts and Great Southern, followed by The Marshall Tucker Band.

Guests can reserve the best seat in house for their favorite acts with the Bands, Brew & BBQ VIP Ticket. The VIP Ticket is $34.99 per person and includes priority reserved seating at center stage, plus an entrée platter and non-alcoholic beverage at any festival tent location OR an entrée, one side salad, side dish or dessert, and a regular-sized non-alcoholic beverage from any of Busch Gardens’ restaurants. The VIP ticket is available for sale at buschgardens.com and in park at the Adventure Outpost store, located at the front gate.

With more options than ever before, the expanded Beer Festival will feature more than 100 imported, domestic and craft beers. Select brews are available at each of the tents along the Bands, Brew & BBQ pathway, as well as in Gwazi Park.

For those looking to sample several of the specialty brews, unlimited sampling is available from noon to 5:30 p.m. every Saturday and Sunday with a Beer Festival Wristband. Wristbands are $30 per person (ages 21+), or two for $50 for active Busch Gardens Tampa Pass Members, and also include sampling privileges at the Desert Grill restaurant, Crown Colony pub, Garden Gate Café and Zambia Smokehouse.

The festival also serves up a savory series of food tents, with Outback Steakhouse, Smokey Bones Bar & Fire Grill, Penguin Pretzel Factory and local favorite Kojak’s House of Ribs, as well as a selection of Busch Gardens’ own barbeque favorites. Whether hungry for a sampler plate or a hearty platter, guests will have their choice of perfectly prepared chicken, beef, ribs, sides and more!

Can’t decide which performance to attend? Buy a 2014 Fun Card so you can pay for a day and come back all year to catch them all! It’s the best value for again-and-again access to all of the exciting, big-name entertainment, amazing animal encounters, and world-class thrill rides Busch Gardens has to offer, including Falcon’s Fury™, North America’s tallest freestanding drop tower opening spring 2014. The 2014 Fun Card is valid from the date of purchase through Dec. 31, 2014 and is available online, by calling (888) 800-5447or at the Busch Gardens’ front gate.

Event talent, dates, times and restaurant partners are subject to change and/or cancellation without notice. Performances are included with any daily admission or annual pass. Additional charges apply to all food and beverage items. Must be 21 years or older to purchase alcoholic beverages. Seating capacity is limited and is on a first-come, first-served basis.​

Jason Derulo is actually a pretty decent name for BGT and on such short notice it's fairly impressive. They normally don't get much more than washed up has-beens at BGT.

I attended this Sunday's BBB at BGT and I am happy to report it was a great event. Both bands gave the crowd a great show and ended their performances with their most popular songs "Cant You See" & "Blue Sky". I had a really nice meal at Smokey Bones and there was well over 100 craft brews to choose from. Look for my more detailed photo update to be posted sometime this week.

BBBLogo.jpg

EARTH, WIND & FIRE, SUGAR RAY, AND GIN BLOSSOMS HEADLINE BANDS, BREW & BBQ LINEUP

TAMPA, Fla. (Feb. 10, 2014) – Busch Gardens® Tampa’s annual Bands, Brew & BBQ festival continues this weekend with some of the biggest names in music.

Grammy-award winning Earth, Wind & Fire takes the stage on Saturday, Feb. 15. The legendary Earth, Wind & Fire spans the genres of R&B, soul, jazz, pop, rock, funk, disco and gospel with their music!

On Sunday, Feb. 16, Sugar Ray, featuring lead singer and multi-platinum album artist Mark McGrath, will perform some of the band’s biggest hits for thousands of fans. Also on Sunday, Gin Blossoms will perform some of their chart-topping hits.

The Gwazi Park stage sizzles with music throughout the day. Headline concerts start at 5 p.m. and the field will open at noon. The full concert area is free to guests and located just behind the Gwazi rollercoaster.

Now in its seventh straight year, Bands, Brew & BBQ is bigger than ever, filling every Saturday and Sunday through March 9 with an unlimited sampling of more than 100 specialty and craft beers, saucy barbeque from the bay area’s most popular restaurants and live concerts.

Guests can reserve the best seat in house for their favorite acts with the Bands, Brew & BBQ VIP Ticket. The VIP Ticket is $34.99 per person and includes priority reserved seating at center stage, plus an entrée platter and non-alcoholic beverage at any festival tent location OR an entrée, one side salad, side dish or dessert, and a regular-sized non-alcoholic beverage from any of Busch Gardens’ restaurants. The VIP ticket is available for sale at buschgardens.com and in park at the Adventure Outpost store, located at the front gate.

With more options than ever before, the expanded Beer Festival will feature more than 100 imported, domestic and craft beers. Select brews are available at each of the tents along the Bands, Brew & BBQ pathway, as well as in Gwazi Park.

For those looking to sample several of the specialty brews, unlimited sampling is available from noon to 5:30 p.m. every Saturday and Sunday with a Beer Festival Wristband. Wristbands are $30 per person (ages 21+), or two for $50 for active Busch Gardens Tampa Pass Members, and also include sampling privileges at the Desert Grill restaurant, Crown Colony pub, Garden Gate Café and Zambia Smokehouse.

The festival also serves up a savory series of food tents, with Outback Steakhouse, Smokey Bones Bar & Fire Grill, Penguin Pretzel Factory and local favorite Kojak’s House of Ribs, as well as a selection of Busch Gardens’ own barbeque favorites. Whether hungry for a sampler plate or a hearty platter, guests will have their choice of perfectly prepared chicken, beef, ribs, sides and more

Can’t decide which performance to attend? Buy a 2014 Fun Card so you can pay for a day and come back all year to catch them all! It’s the best value for again-and-again access to all of the exciting, big-name entertainment, amazing animal encounters, and world-class thrill rides Busch Gardens has to offer, including Falcon’s Fury™, North America’s tallest freestanding drop tower opening spring 2014. The 2014 Fun Card is valid from the date of purchase through Dec. 31, 2014 and is available online, by calling (888) 800-5447or at the Busch Gardens’ front gate.

Event talent, dates, times and restaurant partners are subject to change and/or cancellation without notice. Performances are included with any daily admission or annual pass. Additional charges apply to all food and beverage items. Must be 21 years or older to purchase alcoholic beverages. Seating capacity is limited and is on a first-come, first-served basis.​

BGT BBB - 2014 Sunday February 9th

There may have been a couple of bumps in the road leading up to the 2014 BGT BBB annual event but Busch Gardens delivered on its statement "We remain committed to bringing our fans a great festival".

Scream Machine went on stage during the afternoon and performed classic songs from the 70s and 80s. In between sets there were DJs on hand to keep us entertained with music trivia and other activities.

There was no shortage of brew or barbeque. With 30 beer vendors and over 100 craft brews available plus the variety of barbeque there was something there for everyone's taste. I ate a Smokey Bones and had the ribs, pulled pork with beans and coleslaw. Thanks to Mike and the Smokey Bones crew for serving up a great meal. Mike told me that there is also a Smokey Bones in Orlando so if you're ever in the area swing buy and check them out.

The Marshall Tucker Band along with Dickey Betts (founding member of the Allman Brothers Band) & Great Southern took the Gwazi Park Stage this Sunday February 9th at 5:00 pm and gave the crowd a fantastic performance.

Thank you Busch Gardens Tampa for remaining steadfast in providing your guest with a wonderful event today. Special thanks to Dickey Betts & Great Southern, The Marshall Tucker Band, Jason Derulo and Scream Machine that chose to perform for us this weekend.

Ok, I'm trying something new this time. Please be kind as I know it's rough around the edges. Think of it as an experiment.

[video=youtube_share;uEN0IdE0z20]http://youtu.be/uEN0IdE0z20[/video]

I agree they put on a great event, my second favorite event (depending on the acts that interest me) after Howl O Scream, and its a shame that all the BF BS is ruining it.