Toy Story 4 | Inside Universal Forums

Toy Story 4

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I know people are gonna crap on this, and yes Toy Story 3 was the perfect ending, but I'm looking forward to this. Would be nice to see another chapter of the story with the new owner. If the original cast and the Pixar dream team are a part of it, I fully support it.

By getting positive reviews and being a box office success.

It's obvious our taste in movies differ, thankfully.

To be fair, it wasn't critically hailed to the same level as Monsters Inc. It was seen as a step up from Brave and Cars 2, but falling short of greatness since it lacked the emotional punch (at least until the end) that Monster's Inc. did. I personally disagree, and think University is as good as Inc.

Isn't it interesting that Disney Animation is doing so well and Pixar is being kicked around like pathetic cash cow with a failing heart. Kinda sad and yet, other companies will step in and pick up the slack with wonderful new stuff.

To be fair, it wasn't critically hailed to the same level as Monsters Inc. It was seen as a step up from Brave and Cars 2, but falling short of greatness since it lacked the emotional punch (at least until the end) that Monster's Inc. did. I personally disagree, and think University is as good as Inc.

I liked University more than Inc. but that's besides the point. I just think it's funny when someone shoots out how a film is "unnecessary" before ANY information has been released about the film. Reminds me of the hate for Monsters University, which was Pixar's 2nd biggest first week box office release ever, and it also reminds me of how stupid everyone thought 21 Jump Street was...and we all know how that turned out.

Isn't it interesting that Disney Animation is doing so well and Pixar is being kicked around like pathetic cash cow with a failing heart. Kinda sad and yet, other companies will step in and pick up the slack with wonderful new stuff.

Like DreamWorks :look:

3 ended it perfectly. Let's hope 4 doesn't make us act like it doesn't exist and is just as good. I trust these guys though and am sure it will be great. I grew up with these characters so to say I'm not excited about it would be a lie. I was 5 when the first one came out. But I'm still waiting for Incredibles 2!

Another unnecessary sequel from the former king of animated film
Walt Disney Feature Animation has basically taken over as king again... and the funny part is because Lasseter has taken over the Studio with Non-Sequel content.

While WDFA has been thriving with Princess and the Frog (box office hit or not, it was a great movie), Tangled, Wreck-It Ralph, Frozen, and potentially Big Hero 6, Pixar has been doing probably 50% sequels of late, most of which have ranged from mediocre to bad (except of course TS3).

WDFA and Pixar are basically one in the same at this point in terms of look and who is making the movies, the main difference is Pixar making so many sequels. I'm looking forward to Inside Out, but we'll see. But you are right, Pixar is no longer king. Disney animation as whole is king, but Pixar singularly has gotten much worse as the years have gone on and Lasseter has increasingly worked with WDFA.

Last edited:

Well Disney animation had no other direction but up to go...Really, Disney Ani is only starting to return..Pixar has been going down hill for a while...they are quite full of themselves over there..

I liked University more than Inc. but that's besides the point. I just think it's funny when someone shoots out how a film is "unnecessary" before ANY information has been released about the film. Reminds me of the hate for Monsters University, which was Pixar's 2nd biggest first week box office release ever, and it also reminds me of how stupid everyone thought 21 Jump Street was...and we all know how that turned out.

Like DreamWorks :look:

I would say Illumination is more up and coming than Dreamworks..my opinion though

Well Disney animation had no other direction but up to go...Really, Disney Ani is only starting to return..Pixar has been going down hill for a while...they are quite full of themselves over there..
You do realize both studios are headed by the same person, correct? The same person who is "full of themself" at Pixar is helping create the hit films at Walt Disney animation.

You do realize both studios are headed by the same person, correct? The same person who is "full of themself" at Pixar is helping create the hit films at Walt Disney animation.

I totally understand this. It is all about focus and spreading oneself too thin. Pixar's Planes and the Cars sequels are both examples of little thought for the product. Money was the primary goal.

Everyone thought Monsters University was unnecessary as well, but that proved people wrong. Personally, I like it better than Monsters Inc.

I mean, in the grand scheme of things, it was. I enjoyed it for what it was, but it didn't really need a prequel. Same for Cars 2, Cars 3 and now Toy Story 4. Doesn't mean I won't see TS4 but TS3 was the perfect end for trilogy.

Pixar's Planes and the Cars sequels are both examples of little thought for the product. Money was the primary goal.

Planes is actually WDA, just inspired by Pixar's Cars.

Different set of creative minds though..the guy that says yes/no on a project has little to do with the creative process (besides killing it and or approving it)...Disney Ani and Pixar are very different..Think Outback and Carrabbas..

p.s. sorry to make everyone hungry

Different set of creative minds though..the guy that says yes/no on a project has little to do with the creative process (besides killing it and or approving it)...Disney Ani and Pixar are very different..Think Outback and Carrabbas..

p.s. sorry to make everyone hungry
You mean John Lasseter? The Guy that started Pixar studios and was just announced to be directing Toy Story 4? Yeah, he has no say AT ALL. :doh:

- - - Updated - - -

Ah, my bad. So both companies are ordered to spread themselves thin for the buck at times.
Planes actually wasn't Pixar OR Walt Disney animation. It was Disney TOON Studios. The company didn't want the film to be listed on the roster of films for Pixar or Disney Animation. When the company is too ashamed to put the film on either of the top towo animation studios in the company, that's how you know it was a 100% cash grab.

Last edited:
In my mind, Disney Animation's problem was always that they had no idea how to do 3d. They either ended up too stylized or too blocky with their models and animation, and it appeared that the story suffered either because of lack of time or that parts were avoided due to these issues. Once Pixar came into the fold that all changed, they now had one of the top CGI companies in the world working with them. They were taught new techniques and most importantly I assume given assets that Pixar had.

Planes was not a Pixar movie it was a Disney Animations movie, even though the assets are a clear evolution (I'm being generous here) from what was represented in Cars. The models are strikingly similar; lighting, rendering (RenderMan), and most importantly the shaders. This carries over to many of the other hits that have come out of Disney with Tangled and Frozen having very similar model styles to each other. Disney has always been able to create a story, now that the technical hurdles are being addressed by Pixar (as they have always excelled at) they can focus on what they do best.