Toy Story 4 | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Toy Story 4

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I totally understand this. It is all about focus and spreading oneself too thin. Pixar's Planes and the Cars sequels are both examples of little thought for the product. Money was the primary goal.
It's really not even anything to do with Pixar really, it's mostly from the tipity-top. Mr. Bob Iger himself. He wants the big box office returns and he knows a sure fire way of getting them is by producing sequels to beloved Pixar movies. If not for that, we'd see a lot more of what got Pixar to where they were when Iger bought them in 2006.

You mean John Lasseter? The Guy that started Pixar studios and was just announced to be directing Toy Story 4? Yeah, he has no say AT ALL. :doh:

Lasseter didn't found or start Pixar. Pixar was originally part of LucasFilms created by George Lucas as part of ILM to help with special effects. It was then spun out as a separate entity headed by Steve Jobs who helped to get it up on its feet. Lasseter is an immensely talented person who was deeply entrenched in Pixar around the beginning though.

It's really not even anything to do with Pixar really, it's mostly from the tipity-top. Mr. Bob Iger himself. He wants the big box office returns and he knows a sure fire way of getting them is by producing sequels to beloved Pixar movies. If not for that, we'd see a lot more of what got Pixar to where they were when Iger bought them in 2006.

Right, and the 2017 date for this movie sounds like the project will get all the thought and details that made Pixar so special. The Nemo sequel took them 10 years to consider and again 3 years to create. Should be good.

Lasseter didn't found or start Pixar. Pixar was originally part of LucasFilms created by George Lucas as part of ILM to help with special effects. It was then spun out as a separate entity headed by Steve Jobs who helped to get it up on its feet. Lasseter is an immensely talented person who was deeply entrenched in Pixar around the beginning though.
I must've read something wrong recently, but either way, the studio may not exist today if not for him.

- - - Updated - - -

Right, and the 2017 date for this movie sounds like the project will get all the thought and details that made Pixar so special. The Nemo sequel took them 10 years to consider and again 3 years to create. Should be good.
I think the 2017 date has more to do with they already have movies scheduled up until then and they rarely release one film per year. Next year will be a rarity in them releasing two...both originals by the way. I do hope you're right that it is a quality movie though. The Toy Story trilogy is one of the most highly regarded trilogies of all-time. I'd hate to see an unnecessary sequel take away from that.

I love these characters too much to not be in for this. 3 was perfect but I'm glad there's more stories to tell.

You mean John Lasseter? The Guy that started Pixar studios and was just announced to be directing Toy Story 4? Yeah, he has no say AT ALL. :doh:

He's directed a chunk of the Toy Story franchise so that's expected (as well as Cars, clearly a gift to the world :rolleyes:)..if you look at his filmography he is usually in the producer roll however...

And he may think he started Pixar, buuut..

The thing about cash grabs is that they're usually what people want...which is why they make cash to grab. Sure, some like Cars and especially Planes are more about selling merchandise than anything but sequels to Finding Nemo and Toy Story are high in demand by the public. You can criticize them for replacing original content with older material, or you can give them credit for giving the people what they want. I'm personally excited for another Toy Story movie as Im sure many others are too...can't really find fault with something if people genuinely enjoy it.

He's directed a chunk of the Toy Story franchise so that's expected (as well as Cars, clearly a gift to the world :rolleyes:)..if you look at his filmography he is usually in the producer roll however...

And he may think he started Pixar, buuut..
It's a bit unfair of you to just sort of dismiss him like that. He's much more creative than pretty much any of us could ever be, which is why he's doing the work and we're here talking about it (you unfairly criticizing).

It's a bit unfair of you to just sort of dismiss him like that. He's much more creative than pretty much any of us could ever be, which is why he's doing the work and we're here talking about it (you unfairly criticizing).

How is drumming up yet another Toy Story sequel creative? I'm pretty sure any of us could do that..

How is drumming up yet another Toy Story sequel creative? I'm pretty sure any of us could do that..
He's done way more than that. Taking his entire career and boiling it down to a few sequels is not respecting the man responsible for Pixar existing. Had Toy Story not been a success in '95, the studio may have folded.

He's done way more than that. Taking his entire career and boiling it down to a few sequels is not respecting the man responsible for Pixar existing. Had Toy Story not been a success in '95, the studio may have folded.

Not so sure about that. Remember the Pixar Feature Film was a side project of Pixar, they focused more on shorts (which were/are all tech demos) and CGI components of movies before the Toy Story movies. I personally felt that Toy Story wasn't that great of a movie and wasn't a huge fan of them until Bug's Life. Prior to Nemo I think it was really pretty close between Blue Sky, SKG, and Pixar movie-wise. This may be more of the director style they had earlier where each movie was done by someone different.

Here is a website of some critically acclaimed movies that used Pixar's RenderMan software since 1984. Note some big ones in there Abyss, Jetsons, Aladdin, Jurassic Park, Lion King, Star Wars, etc. If memory serves it was also used in Mulan and Lilo and Stitch.
http://renderman.pixar.com/view/movies-and-awards

Again I'm not taking anything away from him and I think he is incredibly talented and the number of stellar Pixar movies far outweighs most other studios. I love almost all of their movies and have only been disappointed with a few being Cars 2 and Ratatouille. Incredibles, Nemo, Wall-E, and Up are some of my favorite movies and I challenge anyone that says they didn't tear up during Up.

Last edited:
My point was, Pixar wouldn't be nearly this big today and would possibly never have been bought by Disney.

And while you may not have personally enjoyed Toy Story, it holds a 100% critic rating on Rotten Tomatoes, so it did something right.