Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Mardi Gras 2015

The only Mardi Gras dates I can remember loving the last few years were One Republic and Cindi Lauper. The lineup this year just might be the worst ever, in my opinion of course.

1. What's EDM?
2. One of my friends always complains that we never have any heavy metal acts, perhaps there are no heavy metal artists on the Universal label.

EDM= electronic dance music

Heavy metal, that's one thing that will never be at Universal. Not only would it offend the gp but stop that crowd from moshing & fighting.

LOL when I saw the announcement today I just laughed my ass off. Sheikra said it best "classic". And you thought you were getting deadmau5, good lord

MKTO with hits such as "Classic" and don't forget "Classic" and of course their wonderful song "Classic"
MKTO also has two other hits - "American Dream" and "Thank You". You may not realize it's them, but if you listen to popular radio at all I assure you you'll recognize them. They're actually really talented and true artists. That goes for both MKTO and Phillip Phillips.

Last edited:
Depends on who the artist is usually. I don't think that Olivia Newton-John is going to bring out a huge day crowd, probably just an older crowd of people who have AP's. Who knows though, I'll be there, and I know my dad and my mother-in-law are pretty excited to go.

To add onto that, most AP holders will wait til late afternoon to check out the event. I'll assume many will just come for the food and parade and leave without seeing the concert.

Quick synopsis of first Mardi Gras nigh

Very happy to have the season back and had a lot of fun. Had the gumbo and think it will probably end up being my favorite food of the event again.
The new parade floats were really cool, except didn't see them throwing any coins. The special edition pin is a little boring but had to get it anyways.

There were a TON of people there for Olivia Newton-John but thought she was kind of meh. Expected her to do some of the songs from Grease (we left a little before she stopped playing) and most of the songs were pretty slow. I think the best part of her show was the restroom arrow sign going AWOL.

what do you mean by "stops"....do they stop and perform something?

Looked more like e-stops to me. I didn't see any signs of a show.

Also, only one new float this year, and it's lame, barely more than a flatbed with a railing and three TMs, no guests. Not sure why they bothered, unless it's another House of Horrors and they simply ran out of time before opening night. The Riverboat, however, was refurbed, looks great, leads off the parade now. We also get the transportation floats from 2014 and the country floats from 2013--however, the stilt-walkers and dancers from each are grouped together at the front of each group of floats. It's an odd mix and makes what is probably the longest parade ever feel shorter.

Is it too early to have the "Is UOR too big for Mardi Gras?" discussion? Left just before the concert finished, traffic was a nightmare--I'm talking July 4 or NYE at MK bad. And that's without the massive crowd ONJ pulled. Not to mention the bad show of shuttered booths as you walk into the park 6 days a week. 15 years ago, Mardi Gras kept the lights on--has its time passed?

Also, only one new float this year, and it's lame, barely more than a flatbed with a railing and three TMs, no guests. Not sure why they bothered, unless it's another House of Horrors and they simply ran out of time before opening night. The Riverboat, however, was refurbed, looks great, leads off the parade now. We also get the transportation floats from 2014 and the country floats from 2013--however, the stilt-walkers and dancers from each are grouped together at the front of each group of floats. It's an odd mix and makes what is probably the longest parade ever feel shorter.

Is it too early to have the "Is UOR too big for Mardi Gras?" discussion? Left just before the concert finished, traffic was a nightmare--I'm talking July 4 or NYE at MK bad. And that's without the massive crowd ONJ pulled. Not to mention the bad show of shuttered booths as you walk into the park 6 days a week. 15 years ago, Mardi Gras kept the lights on--has its time passed?
What do you mean by "has it's time passed?"

Mardi Gras seems to be doing it's job better than ever, basically Uni's version of F&W, the difference is, where most of your complaints are and from what i've experienced, the parking situation is a nightmare. They need to add on to that garage.

The real question should be has Uni gotten too big for it's current parking infrastructure? And to that, i'd say HELL YES.

It was definitely a planned show stop. My friends who rode on the New Orleans French Quarter float said during the two stops they were told to stop throwing and to dance. If you watch videos, you notice that the soundtrack changes after a loud horn and the lighting also changes, with moving lights, then the horn sounds again and the parade moves on

The River boat, and the gator got awesome refurbishments. Looked like they touched up many of the floats. The "new" float that you speak of is from the Super Star parade...