Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1) | Page 62 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure this is crazy and I have no clue what it cost to build (or maybe move) a massive parking garage, but at what that shopping center sold for land seems real costly....could Comcast be crazy enough to build a parking garage at the Wet-nWild parking lot, move City Walk to Wet-n-Wild's current plot and then have a third gate in front of the current two?

I imagine they could still have you enter City Walk from the garage and somehow build a short street car rail as transport from City Walk to the parks...it would take a long time and a lot of $$ so I am sure it is a crazy idea...i don't know, but yeah, I once stayed at the Orlando Hilton and there seemed to be a lot of empty land by the convention center, otherwise, there seemed to be a lot of areas off Kirkman (but I think that stared to approach Fun Spot) towards the Hampton Inn that should be redeveloped verse what appeared to be a lot of vacant buildings and vacant land.

But I am sure they have something up their sleeve based on when they mentioned building some ungodly number of hotel rooms.

I would think that the present Citi Walk is too convenient to the present on site hotels & parks and too prosperous to move. But, that of course, doesn't rule out a new additional entertainment venue that could be on the W&W tract.

If uni was only able to build one new park somewhere I would want amother themed park, but if they would build more it would cool if they build a cedar point type park with just coasters. and whatnot.

While very crazy/not likely, how cool would it be to have a long, skinny hotel in between the parks? A upscale, premium hotel that has access to the parks. Overlooks both parks....can either choose a studios view or islands view

doubt it would happen, but fun to think about.

design.jpg

While very crazy/not likely, how cool would it be to have a long, skinny hotel in between the parks? A upscale, premium hotel that has access to the parks. Overlooks both parks....can either choose a studios view or islands view

design.jpg
Never going to happen, the soundstages are too valuable to demolish.

Well, I am nothing else if not pragmatic... DH slaps us with FDOT plans and Skuby nails us with ownership facts... so I go looking for other options. (it is going to be a real hoot if Comcast/Uni has no intention of ever building a third gate.)

So working with the FDOT plans and the grand national extension, I came up with this:

maybe_zpslbwqezdi.jpg

Last edited:

design.jpg

I think that's an awesome idea, regardless of its likelihood. That's prime location too, you'd have both parks at your doorstep!

- - - Updated - - -

Never going to happen, the soundstages are too valuable to demolish.

Why do you say this? The stages sit empty the majority of the year, save for a small cable production here and there. The revenue from a hotel would far surpass the stage rentals IMHO.

The Festival Bay Mall is prime real estate right new Universal. It is very much just an empty building with no hope of recovering. That being said a few years ago I company tried to build a theme park(Orlando Thrill Park) in the plot just south of the mall but the adjacent community stepped in and voted it down because of noise.
Well, I am nothing else if not pragmatic... DH slaps us with FDOT plans and Skuby nails us with ownership facts... so I go looking for other options. (it is going to be a real hoot if Comcast/Uni has no intention of ever building a third gate.)

So working with the FDOT plans and the grand national extension, I came up with this:

maybe_zpslbwqezdi.jpg

I think that's an awesome idea, regardless of its likelihood. That's prime location too, you'd have both parks at your doorstep!

- - - Updated - - -

Why do you say this? The stages sit empty the majority of the year, save for a small cable production here and there. The revenue from a hotel would far surpass the stage rentals IMHO.

Uh, they're used every September and October for a little event called Halloween Horror Nights.

The Festival Bay Mall is prime real estate right new Universal. It is very much just an empty building with no hope of recovering. That being said a few years ago I company tried to build a theme park(Orlando Thrill Park) in the plot just south of the mall but the adjacent community stepped in and voted it down because of noise.

Right... that was primarily a coaster park as I recall. If that buffer forest was left in place, I believe a Universal style park would work just fine.

maybe_zpslbwqezdi.jpg

Interesting, but I don't think Fun Spot is going away anytime soon...

For a size comparison, Disneyland park (much of the backstage areas included) could fit in the festival bay/artegon plot of property

No, it wouldn't.

When countering someone's opinion (and please do, thats what we are here for), I think it inspires better discussion when you state your reasoning as opposed to a blunt 'No" with no thoughts attached to it. Not trying to be a dick by mentioning this, I'm just trying to help this be a more conversational environment for everyone.

I can't do much with a "No, it wouldn't".

I know Festival Bay just re-opened under a new name...is it already doing badly also?

I know Festival Bay just re-opened under a new name...is it already doing badly also?

It got off to a very bad start with a death on its elevated rig course. That and all surrounding neighborhoods cannot easily get to it because of Florida turnpike; NE, E, SE are just off limits without going out of ones way. Premium Outlets is a diff story as they cater to tourists from International Dr.

I'm pretty sure that the same group that owns the outlets owns the Artegon/Festival Bay property, at least, that's what I seem to remember when the land transaction happened back in...like 2012 or 2013. I finally have some free time to do this, so I'll pop over to the property appraiser and double check it.

EDIT: I may also learn a few things about future I-Drive area plans at a nice little event on Wednesday, so that may clear up a few questions bouncing around my head as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.