Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Trader Sam's Grog Grotto

Brian G.

Editor-in-Chief
Jan 21, 2008
Orlando, FL
I'll be sharing my thoughts shortly. In the mean time, to all who've been lucky to check it out - what did you think?

I think it works for what it is--a Disneyfied version of a tiki bar. The drinks are for the most part very good (love the Dark & Stormy, mai tai and Zombie--avoid the syrupy mojito), and while the decor is intentionally kitschy, it's fun, too. That said, to address the elephant in the room, it's clearly not the Adventurers Club or anything like it. It's not an attraction--at it's heart it's just a bar, albeit a silly one.

BTW, I think the outside patio is a slam dunk. Completely chill with a nice breeze off the lake and relaxing music (live and BGL). If I ran Disney, I'd build a thematically appropriate version of this at every lakeside resort immediately.

Personally thought the best tasting drink was the Nautilus, but that takes 2 people (or 1 if you believe in yourself). I really enjoyed each drink they offered, but I could see myself ordering the Poly Pearl on the regular. But yea, it's a Tiki Bar - Disney style. It's fun, and it works. The staff was great and had the perfect amount of sass ([HASHTAG]#skipperjames[/HASHTAG]). I tried a few of the appetizers as well. Most were good - tacos were sorta ok, but the sliders and Corndog sausages were awesome. Definitely looking to return with the Mrs next time.

As 71 said, the outside was awesome as well. Didn't get to spend a lot of time out there, but if you want to enjoy the drinks without the noise, it's a great setting.

Do they serve any non-alcoholic beverages in the collectible cups?

What Skip said. Personally though, this place isn't really catered to those who don't drink. I mean, you have the option to not drink, but it's market is aimed at those who want a Disneyfied bar setting.

There are non-alcoholic beverages in their own collectible mugs. You have to buy the alcoholic drink to get one of the mugs.

But personally, I think the East Coast lineup of mugs are super disappointing anyway.

Really? I mean the plastic Pearl is cheaper looking (obviously) but the Nautilus is awesome.

Really? I mean the plastic Pearl is cheaper looking (obviously) but the Nautilus is awesome.

Meh. The Nautilus is fine, but too big to practically use again at home.

The only ones I'd get would be the Rum Flight ones, but they don't come with the surfboard display thing, so I lost interest in them

Since you can't get the Nautilus mug right now, did they lower the price for the time being? We are thinking about heading that way on Saturday, you all have made it look like way too much fun.

Meh. The Nautilus is fine, but too big to practically use again at home.

The only ones I'd get would be the Rum Flight ones, but they don't come with the surfboard display thing, so I lost interest in them

Yeah, lack of surfboard sucks with flights.

But with the Nautilus? Gotta dream big! :lol:

I imagined me pouring some concoction of alcohol and other juices/sodas - filling it to the brim, setting it on my coffee table and laying on my couch to watch TV as I sip it with a huge straw.

Since you can't get the Nautilus mug right now, did they lower the price for the time being? We are thinking about heading that way on Saturday, you all have made it look like way too much fun.

Yes, I believe the price was $29 without the mug.

I did ask if I could get the Pearl without the "pearl", but I could not.

Ahh I had no idea you could get some of the drinks without the mug, if you want a refill do you just pay for the drink price or is it somewhat reduced (not including the Pearl).

Side question what drinks are not to be missed?

Can someone please explain to me why this bar is so important that people are waiting over an hour to get in? It all seems so silly to me.

I have some less than nice things to say about some of those people, so I'll nice it up.

It's a very good "Disney" bar for people who will only drink at Disney bars. I think that's basically the basis for it. It's nothing overly special, but it is a well themed watering hole.

I have some less than nice things to say about some of those people, so I'll nice it up.

It's a very good "Disney" bar for people who will only drink at Disney bars. I think that's basically the basis for it. It's nothing overly special, but it is a well themed watering hole.

Not that I completely disagree with you but... :lol:

I've seen over an hour wait for my local Longhorn Steakhouse. It's Spring Break at Disney with a new, shiny toy that's been well-liked. At least there is an outside bar to kill time.

I never went to the one at DL but this place looks like my own personal hell. Don't get me wrong, I adore Disneys take on tikis and Polynesian theming. It's done in an incredibly classy way and never gets tacky....this is tacky. The constant effects, screaming servers and overall theming of this place kinda destroys the entire point of a bar witch is a lounge to hang out and drink with your pals. Maybe I'm missing the point but to me this just looks like a Rocky horror for the Disney folk. However when I reach legal age I do plan to have the nautilus as my first legal drink since I'm a nut for anything 20,000 leagues. I'll probably go to a better bar afterwards lol

I never went to the one at DL but this place looks like my own personal hell. Don't get me wrong, I adore Disneys take on tikis and Polynesian theming. It's done in an incredibly classy way and never gets tacky....this is tacky. The constant effects, screaming servers and overall theming of this place kinda destroys the entire point of a bar witch is a lounge to hang out and drink with your pals. Maybe I'm missing the point but to me this just looks like a Rocky horror for the Disney folk. However when I reach legal age I do plan to have the nautilus as my first legal drink since I'm a nut for anything 20,000 leagues. I'll probably go to a better bar afterwards lol

I mean... We had no problem having convos and hanging out on Saturday Night.... :shrug: