Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

HHN 25: Freddy Vs Jason

I'm not saying horror is all comedy, I'm a gigantic horror movie fan. I'm just saying the genre is overall more fun than scary nowadays. I'll agree the houses in 17 were more scary now that I look back at them. I was thinking of the ones over at Hollywood accidentally, they were full of camp lol. It has potiental, I just don't know if universal will go that route. It could be absolutely terrifying or the black comedy house of the year, you never know

I was thinking of the ones over at Hollywood accidentally, they were full of camp lol. It has potiental, I just don't know if universal will go that route. It could be absolutely terrifying or the black comedy house of the year, you never know

The Texas Chainsaw house was one of the most terrifying ones I've been through. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Well horror itself isn't scary anymore, the last horror movie that scared me was the babadook and that's indie. Freddy and Jason evolved into comedic territories, it's gonna be a fun house by it's source material witch in my opinion is the best excuse for it

I don't understand the hype with The Babadook. The storybook was super creepy, but other than that, I didn't get it. Either way, I don't think it would translate well as a house.

I was talking about Hollywood in 2012.
Oh ok, yeah that house looked grizzly. Wish that came here, best way to do an IP is to go the AWIL or Halloween approach and recreate everything scene for scene with pitch perfect details. TCM did exactly that and rocked it

I'm not saying horror is all comedy, I'm a gigantic horror movie fan. I'm just saying the genre is overall more fun than scary nowadays.

can you give me some examples of "fun" modern horror movies? of funny movies now?
I cant think of any, insidious or the conjuring is not what i would call funny...i wouldnt consider paranormal activity a fun movie, sinister is not really "fun" ether. was as above so below a fun movie?
mama was not fun in that way at all, was Oculus funny? dark skies? i dont think i could consider any of them campy and fun, they were pretty dreadful. maybe not scary but definitely not campy.

can you give me some examples of "fun" modern horror movies? of funny movies now?
I cant think of any, insidious or the conjuring is not what i would call funny...i wouldnt consider paranormal activity a fun movie, sinister is not really "fun" ether. was as above so below a fun movie?
mama was not fun in that way at all, was Oculus funny? dark skies? i dont think i could consider any of them campy and fun, they were pretty dreadful. maybe not scary but definitely not campy.
Red vs Dead and its sequel, Grabbers, Tucker and Dale vs. Evil..

I'd also consider stuff like Cabin in the Woods, Slither, Dead Snow, Evil Dead (though that's more over the top than "fun), Curse of Chucky, Bad Milo, Maybe even Piranha if you want to get really silly. Hopefully that'll help a bit!

Horror has split into a lot of sub genres recently and that blurs the argument of camp and comedy. Most of the iconic horror movies from the 80s-2000s had a decent amount of humor mixed in with them. Now with the different genres of Torture and Extreme Grossout for example it skews the numbers. Personally I like having comedy mixed in with my horror, omitting it takes away the suspense.

I also believe that some of the movies and remakes have been handled a little too heavy handed. For example the new Nightmare on Elm Street was a pretty decent remake up until the ending which in my opinion did a huge disservice to the original.

Side note: Tucker and Dale Vs Evil was an awesome movie.

I'd also consider stuff like Cabin in the Woods, Slither, Dead Snow, Evil Dead (though that's more over the top than "fun), Curse of Chucky, Bad Milo, Maybe even Piranha if you want to get really silly. Hopefully that'll help a bit!

I don't know, you do bring up good examples but I feel like they are the exception to the rule, not the other way around. I think Horror has gotten more serious than it used to be. I think in the 90s it used to be kind of campy but now I feel like the movies are more serious than they used to be

I'm sure there's genuinely an interesting term paper on whether or not horror has gotten more "serious" or humorous or what.

But, the original allegation was horror isn't scary anymore and therefore HHN doesn't need to be. To that, I call bull. 2007's efforts prove Freddy and Jason can be terrifying if well-executed. I expect nothing less here.

(By the way, Hollywood seems to generally have scarier houses - not nearly as nice of sets and more recycling, but still higher overall fear factor. The "Saw is the Law" house Briman mentioned looked terrifying.)

It was.

My wife did not want to finish the house. Only house she's ever done that.

I think part of why the Texas Chainsaw houses in general seem to hit so hard (both in Orlando and Hollywood incarnations) is it just feels "close to home" - it feels much realer and more plausible than most of the HHN scenarios we're playing in. Add in that screechy, disturbing score, the awful scents, the in-your-face grotesqueness of it all... I can imagine it'd be absolutely overwhelming.

I think part of why the Texas Chainsaw houses in general seem to hit so hard (both in Orlando and Hollywood incarnations) is it just feels "close to home" - it feels much realer and more plausible than most of the HHN scenarios we're playing in. Add in that screechy, disturbing score, the awful scents, the in-your-face grotesqueness of it all... I can imagine it'd be absolutely overwhelming.

Absolutely. It also didn't help that we did the house by ourselves. :lol:

While everyone was gunning to Walking Dead and the Tram Tour, we just made a beeline to the Lower Lot and didn't even have to use our Express.

I don't know, you do bring up good examples but I feel like they are the exception to the rule, not the other way around. I think Horror has gotten more serious than it used to be. I think in the 90s it used to be kind of campy but now I feel like the movies are more serious than they used to be

Oh, I don't necessarily disagree. In a lot of ways you can consider these "exceptions" almost like a subgenre. I think that first and foremost, horror is classically designed to get a fright out of people. Sure, you can find some campy examples, but yeah..horror is supposed to get a rise out of you.

Stuff like Oculus and Dark Skies (blech) is absurd in and of itself, you know? After you get a fright from someone being sucked into the sky or getting their head cut in half as a result of an evil mirror, you might jostle in your seat a bit.. then when you think about it, it's all so silly.

Guess it depends on your point of view. Either way, there's plenty of different sorts of horror out there.