Future Universal Projects and Parks | Page 64 | Inside Universal Forums

Future Universal Projects and Parks

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Disney has a special meeting I guess it's held every 4 years called D3 EXPO...talks about their future resorts & parks. Does universal have a special meeting regarding their future plans for resorts & parks like Disney D3 Expo or no?

Disney has a special meeting I guess it's held every 4 years called D3 EXPO...talks about their future resorts & parks. Does universal have a special meeting regarding their future plans for resorts & parks like Disney D3 Expo or no?
D23 Expo is more than just the parks, it's the entire Walt Disney Company media conglomerate in one convention.

And to answer your question, no, they do not.

Its a bi-annual Disney fan event. Basically it has things from every part of Disney, not just the resorts. Although, many resort announcements do come out of the event.

I don't think Universal has one because there fan base is more towards specific divisions. There's no overarching Comcast, NBC, or Universal fan base.

Its a bi-annual Disney fan event. Basically it has things from every part of Disney, not just the resorts. Although, many resort announcements do come out of the event.

I don't think Universal has one because there fan base is more towards specific divisions. There's no overarching Comcast, NBC, or Universal fan base.
That and Universal tends to like to announce things Tuesdays at 3pm on Facebook

That and Universal tends to like to announce things Tuesdays at 3pm on Facebook
Disney doesn't necessarily wait for D23 most of the time either. The only thing they've ever announced there was the New Fantasyland.

Although this year I think is going to be a bit different.

I was just curious...so if universal where to announce a new attraction at IOA or USF or a new resort their is no meeting like you were saying? Just an announcement that happens on Tuesdays if their is something to announce at all. Disney EXPO do you know has been around for awhile? I just think Universal/Sea World should plan & organize a similar meeting like Dis EXPO in the near future IMO.

I was just curious...so if universal where to announce a new attraction at IOA or USF or a new resort their is no meeting like you were saying? Just an announcement that happens on Tuesdays if their is something to announce at all. Disney EXPO do you know has been around for awhile? I just think Universal/Sea World should plan & organize a similar meeting like Dis EXPO in the near future IMO.
2009 was the first D23 Expo... it is a bi-annual event so this will be the fourth Expo so far.

I see...,,was hoping that the wet n wild replacement would be something that would possibly perhaps be a part of volcano bay waterpark if indeed it's the third imersive park that they're referring too.

I see...,,was hoping that the wet n wild replacement would be something that would possibly perhaps be a part of volcano bay waterpark if indeed it's the third imersive park that they're referring too.
Yes, Volcano Bay will technically be a "Third Immersive Park", but that's the same as saying that Typhoon Lagoon was WDW's "Fourth Park" at the time. And to be honest, both Typhoon and Blizzard are more immersive than any WDW theme park with the exception of DAK.

It's all marketing jargon. They want to get you excited for a new park, which it technically is, however, it will not be a park in the way USF and IOA are. Volcano Bay is a highly themed water park whereas the other two are highly themed theme parks. A third theme park would be if they built one that doesn't require a bathing suit.

I am posting this here as it is a general thread. This was my reply to an email I just received. There was one more sentence but I removed it in order to gird my loins. Believe me, not a few of you would have had the same reaction as I! The info was tossed at me like a discarded turkey leg bone...

"You never told me that!!! I am so JEALOUS! I am so frustrated you never told me that!!!"

Set design ain't going to help you much at all as theme parks are not "sets". They are real buildings that must follow all codes of safety and disaster stability.

I don't mean to derail the thread, but I was just catching up. I was wondering why you would say theatrical design isn't helpful at theme parks. Of course, theme parks have real buildings, but theatres, for example, are real buildings, but scenic designers are still hired to design what's inside of them. Wouldn't the same apply to theme parks? Someone has to design the sets and theming of the attractions, both inside and out. I don't mean to argue, btw, I'm really trying to gain a better understanding of how to work my way into the industry :ears:

I don't mean to derail the thread, but I was just catching up. I was wondering why you would say theatrical design isn't helpful at theme parks. Of course, theme parks have real buildings, but theatres, for example, are real buildings, but scenic designers are still hired to design what's inside of them. Wouldn't the same apply to theme parks? Someone has to design the sets and theming of the attractions, both inside and out. I don't mean to argue, btw, I'm really trying to gain a better understanding of how to work my way into the industry :ears:

Set design is very much rooted in film and theatrical productions. Those are techniques that deal with temporary settings and need to look good from afar or through a camera, but aren't really used in the parks beyond Horror Nights. Even then, it's very simple and will not help your career much.

I can't think of any particular type of actual design that deals with setting besides something generic like interior design, are are you thinking more along the lines of interior architecture?

I'm wondering about the aesthetic design of theme parks, meaning the scenes in dark rides, the facades of attractions, the art direction of shows and lands. That wouldn't be done by an engineer or architect, would it? I was under the impression the more technical fields had little to do with the creative design.

I am posting this here as it is a general thread. This was my reply to an email I just received. There was one more sentence but I removed it in order to gird my loins. Believe me, not a few of you would have had the same reaction as I! The info was tossed at me like a discarded turkey leg bone...

"You never told me that!!! I am so JEALOUS! I am so frustrated you never told me that!!!"

As someone who typically just lurks around this forum (BUT I HAVE A REAL ACCOUNT NOW! :cheers:), I was just going to wait patiently for someone to ask for more info. Or start throwing out wild ideas of what the new exclamation-point-worthy info was. But then I got overly excited and impatient (odd for a lurker, I know). Soooooooooooooo....any hints, ideas, or speculation here?! :dance:

As someone who typically just lurks around this forum (BUT I HAVE A REAL ACCOUNT NOW! :cheers:), I was just going to wait patiently for someone to ask for more info. Or start throwing out wild ideas of what the new exclamation-point-worthy info was. But then I got overly excited and impatient (odd for a lurker, I know). Soooooooooooooo....any hints, ideas, or speculation here?! :dance:

LOL, every so often I post something here that it is frustrating, angering even, in it's vagary. That happens when I get excited and then face the implications of typing anything more than I want to. So, I get hated for a while in my hasty ill thought post.

That said, I think a few here would really enjoy standing next to a tech wonder and watch it execute its routine. That sort of potential experience would send me reeling. That is what my post was all about.

Last edited:
The post you quoted is pretty misinformed. I've dabbled in visual departments for both the big resorts (via internships and shadowing throughout college) and met plenty of people in these creative/design teams that held set design majors. The important thing to remember is that your degree is just a piece of paper--what will get you a job is 1.) background 2.) experience and most of all 3.) passion. If you go and apply for Imagineering or Creative and sell them on you, your experience, and what you bring to the table, you'll have a much better shot at doing what you want to do vs just selling them on the title of your degree. My advice is to get as many connections as possible and INTERN while you can. I didn't do any internships in what my degree was for and it gave me a wide network and lots of good experience. While I'm currently looking at grad schools right now rather than full-time professional jobs, I'm sure that this will come in handy. Don't let anyone tell you no, people who are actually in the industry will tell you it's all about you rather than your diploma, especially in something as varied as Design (I bet some of those people don't even have degrees).

Status
Not open for further replies.