Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Toy Story Land - General Discussion

capture-jpg.106070

So the above picture gives a good look at the Slinky coaster track layout. I noticed there's what seems like a launch before the lift hill. It made me think of "FireChaser Express" at Dollywood (classified as a "Launched Family Coaster"). It's a Gerstlauer ride and tops out at 35 mph. The Slinky coaster may very well end up very similar, so i'll leave a video of FireChaser:

I'm a little upset that this Slinky ride isn't indoors with show scenes. Just an outdoor track with some props. I was expecting full Radiator Springs Racers dark-ride scenes, but it doesn't look like it.

I'm a little upset that this Slinky ride isn't indoors with show scenes. Just an outdoor track with some props. I was expecting full Radiator Springs Racers dark-ride scenes, but it doesn't look like it.
It has more show scenes/more props than RNRC has... it's just that this ride will be outdoors.

I can definitely see the props, but I'm not seeing the show scenes...will Rex be an animatronic? None of us know right now, just speculating.
Either way, RNRC is nothing if not enclosed. And at the end of the day, it's a coaster. It doesn't need to have show scenes. Maybe the trains will have on-board audio though? Or maybe you're right and the Rex is an animatronic (although I wouldn't bet on it...).

It looks better than I expected (My expectations were very low). I was afraid they'd do something like Hong Kong or Paris, kind of ugly, out of place and underwhelming flat rides only. This looks decent but not great. It's going to be mostly a kid's attraction and it's guts are really only a small step or two above Kidszone. Bottom line is a flat ride & a coaster something like Hippogriff or a tiny bit better. And some buildings to thrill the kids. But they should be able to build it within two years or so. It'll suffice to get people into the park until Star Wars is ready. As an adult though, I couldn't care less about this.

It looks better than I expected (My expectations were very low). I was afraid they'd do something like Hong Kong or Paris, kind of ugly, out of place and underwhelming flat rides only. This looks decent but not great. It's going to be mostly a kid's attraction and it's guts are really only a small step or two above Kidszone. Bottom line is a flat ride & a coaster something like Hippogriff or a tiny bit better. And some buildings to thrill the kids. But they should be able to build it within two years or so. It'll suffice to get people into the park until Star Wars is ready. As an adult though, I couldn't care less about this.
I think you're selling the coaster short. Just look at how long the track is. It's easily 2-3x that of Hippogriff. Plus it's a launched coaster as well.

The coaster looks to be a Mack or Intamin LSM launch coaster (leaning towards Mack). From the art, the entrance to the land should be between the TSMM and former Jack Sparrow attraction, with the TSMM entrance relocated inside the land (exit probably stays on that side, just reworked to exit through retail or something to completely block off that former guest path).

The coaster looks to be a Mack or Intamin LSM launch coaster (leaning towards Mack). From the art, the entrance to the land should be between the TSMM and former Jack Sparrow attraction, with the TSMM entrance relocated inside the land (exit probably stays on that side, just reworked to exit through retail or something to completely block off that former guest path).
I wouldn't judge too much from the art what manufacturer it is. As a matter of fact, i'd go ahead and place my bets on Vekoma right now. Disney hasn't worked with anyone but Vekoma for WDW in a longggg time. RNRC, E:E, SDMT all were Vekoma.

The recent redo of DL's BTM was Dynamic Structures and Disney hasn't been on good terms with Intamin since they screwed up with California Screamin' way back.

It could be anyone, but given WDW's recent history, i'd say it's likely to be Vekoma.

They mentioned some effects on the slinky dog ride with interactions from toy story characters like Rex and army men. Wonder how technological they're gonna be. Oh yeah and if the alien ride is anything like mater, it'll be awesome. If it is just a rethemed mater, it'll be a much better ride

My only gripe with the coaster being outside as opposed to being boxed in and themed is the fact that we all know it storms a lot in Orlando so this attraction will be down for lightning/storms a lot during the summer. The exposed steal doesn't both me too much tbh.

I kinda was hoping that the Buzz Lightyear ride would be more or less a dueling Mad Tea Party. I disagree with all the naysayers in terms of the coaster though, it looks like the family coaster people always want but never get.

image.jpg I can't apologise enough for the crude image and sketching over it! Just a quick mock up of what it looks like the new TSL will cover on a map. Yellow is TSMM with new add on buildings for entrance/exit/shop, red is Slinky coaster (obviously not the right layout!), green is the alien claw flat ride, and blue for additional buildings. I think that's where it all looks like it'll go (very very roughly!)

Last edited:
The coaster looks fantastic. Bunny hills AND a mid-course launch? I'm really looking forward to this.

Also the whole land looks much better than TSPL in DSP and HKDL.

I have mixed feelings in some ways about this expansion. On one side I really like it because Toy Story is without a doubt one of if not the best animated franchises in existence. Even when TSMM was built I always felt like really? This is all we get for one of the greatest Disney movie(s) ever created? So to see it expanded in the form of Andy's backyard is a great imagining and expansion to the beloved franchise. The best part though IMO is its a family friendly area in a park that really lacks in offerings for the little ones. Its something that I never noticed until Willow was born and began to look at parks differently. By the time this is built and opened Willow should be able to ride the Slinky Dog coaster as well as the Alien thing.

That being said though I still think DHS should of added a playground / water spot for the real little ones to play in here. It would of been a nice addition so one parent can take the older child on the "scary" roller coaster while the other plays on the playground with the other parent. Some may take that as a serious complaint, its not just a simple wish is all. In a park that REALLY needs more to do in general it needs even more for kids to do. Some may even say what about Honey I Shrunk the Kids playground. Yeah thats an option but at the same time many children would rather play in the world of Toy Story vs some movie they never heard of.

In the end though I think its a great expansion that won't break the budget in order to fully invest the capital in Star Wars. It will also bring in the people as well as spread out the crowds with the expanded walkways and offerings.