Blue World Project - Orca Tank Expansion | Page 5 | Inside Universal Forums

Blue World Project - Orca Tank Expansion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The California Coastal Commission completely overstepped its bounds in its "conditions" to allowing the Blue World to be built in San Diego. They have ZERO authority on telling SeaWorld whether or not they can breed animals. All SeaWorld has to do is file a lawsuit...and it's game over for the CCC. The whale breeding isn't going anywhere and the Blue World will come to San Diego, just like it will to the other 3 parks. The bill outlawing orca shows stalled in the California State Legislature because it didn't have enough support, so this is merely the CCC trying to stop it themselves. It'll never fly.

Again, Shamu IS SeaWorld. He's what draws the people through the gates each and every day. That's a dangerous position to be in these days. SeaWorld needs to continue to diversify their offerings so the whales aren't the main draw for the parks anymore. I'll also say that I have zero issues with the treatment of their Orcas, since most were born in captivity and only 6 (if memory serves me correctly) know what life is like outside of what they've had at SeaWorld. They receive the UTMOST in care each and every day. I have family that work with the whales and dolphins daily as trainers in Orlando. These are people that would have bailed on SW in a heartbeat and gotten VERY vocal if they were being mistreated. They shake their heads in disgust over the lies told in B*fish and try to spread the truth whenever/whereever they can. If they don't have issues with SeaWorld or their treatment of its animals, then neither do I. And I personally think the Blue World is a wonderful, much-needed expansion to the parks. They've spent a lot of time/money thinking things through to get it right.

I agree with everything you said here. It is very telling that some of the trainers in blackfish have since come out saying they were tricked and didn't know what the films true purpose was. After seeing the film they were very upset as they do not agree with the film at all. So the people making the movie deceived even the trainers involved in the project. That tells you how much they were after the "truth".

Reactions: AK-Jake
They're in a lose lose situation. I think as long as the orcas remain in the park, they will still attract the guests.

To be honest it would not surprise me. I think they should just make a very nice natural area for the orcas and not have a show. The Shamu show is shyte anyway, basically, hey look Shamu can splash you. I think if they could create a very nice and natural looking environment that they would have some much better than the show.

Does anyone know where I can get a transcript of the webcast and the materials presented?

Give it a bit. Main presentation just ended, Q&A about to start.

There was a lot of info!

Main takeaways:
  • SeaWorld Parks eyeing opportunities to become a full-fledged resort. Nothing official yet but showcased room for expansion. Could be to look good for buyout.
  • SeaWorld Orlando has 5 year plan of capital spending as park is "underfunded". Will see Major addition, then Minor for next 5 years.
  • SeaWorld Parks has received rights to use Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer. Will be used for Holiday 2016 Season.
  • Will have heavy emphasis on Rescue program, hence why there will be several rides introduced based on it. Orlando getting family-style dark ride.
  • New pricing and ticketing structure, new website, and heavy emphasis on value and benefits.
  • San Diego only SeaWorld losing theatrical show in 2016. Orlando and San Antonio will continue with One Ocean

Reactions: Scott W.
Give it a bit. Main presentation just ended, Q&A about to start.

There was a lot of info!

Main takeaways:
  • SeaWorld Parks eyeing opportunities to become a full-fledged resort. Nothing official yet but showcased room for expansion. Could be to look good for buyout.
  • SeaWorld Orlando has 5 year plan of capital spending as park is "underfunded". Will see Major addition, then Minor for next 5 years.
  • SeaWorld Parks has received rights to use Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer. Will be used for Holiday 2016 Season.
  • Will have heavy emphasis on Rescue program, hence why there will be several rides introduced based on it. Orlando getting family-style dark ride.
  • New pricing and ticketing structure, new website, and heavy emphasis on value and benefits.
  • San Diego only SeaWorld losing theatrical show in 2016. Orlando and San Antonio will continue with One Ocean

A SeaWorld resort is actually quite an interesting idea. There is some great potential there to make incredible themed hotels.

A SeaWorld resort is actually quite an interesting idea. There is some great potential there to make incredible themed hotels.

From the map, seems like they build a "main" hotel for SeaWorld Orlando. A smaller one next to Aquatica which could be a moderate price, and one next to Discovery Cove which I would wager could be their "Boutique Hotel".

I can only 'sea' this whole resort thing working out if they are able to somehow create a welcoming pedestrian experience to connect it all just like Universal Orlando or Disneyland Anaheim.

I think this is what the major investment he was referring to will be.

EDIT: Scratch that. Mako is the major investment while the Sea Rescue ride is the minor investment.

Last edited:
Reactions: anihilnation
Status
Not open for further replies.