Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
"Need" probably isn't the word, but while the idea you have may be viable, it'll also be more expensive, effect the guests staying at HRH, and might even take more time.

If they really are going to demolish ET for Nintendo, and I have no clue if they are/aren't, then it's probably the most viable plan to get the room they need
It seems about even to me. Building a parking garage versus demolishing a building and having a small impact on hotel parking versus closing an attraction in a park that just had 3 other attractions close.

I would have loved Cinematic Spectacular as a slow-moving dark ride. Same concept: 100 years of laughs (Minions, Abbott & Costello, Blues Brothers, etc), 100 years of horror (classic Universal monsters, Jaws, Psycho, etc), 100 years of wonder (BTTF, E.T., JP, etc.), showcasing their most famous scenes and sets and all narrated by Morgan Freeman.

Also, I heard a while back that they may be re-routing ET's queue to near Hollywood, is that still a potential or is it looking more likely that it will be removed entirely now?
I always thought it would be rerouted to where KodZone Pizza is now. I don't think the rerouted to Hollywood was ever more than a rumor.

Someone once said their own blue sky idea of how to update GMR at Disney and remembering it now it would be perfect for a version from Uni. The premise could be that you're attending a classic Universal film festival thus avoiding the need to ever update the attraction with more modern movies. The attraction could work similarly to Universe of Energy in terms of a huge pre show holding area. Then you enter what looks like a normal movie theater and take your seats in different "booths." The film festival starts until it's interrupted by Doc Brown saying he's invented a better way to showcase these films. He flips a switch and the lights go crazy. All of a sudden your "booths" start moving and you realize they were in fact very cleverly disguised trackless vehicles complete with motion bases. The ride would consist of elaborate scenes from the the classic monster movies, Hitchcock, E.T., Jaws, BTTF, etc. with lots of action.

I wish I could "like" this more than once.

If we're looking to The GMR as inspiration for this, we could also look at another nearby attraction at Hollywood Studios for inspiration - Toy Story Mania. Smaller ride units that whizz you around a randomly generated set of interactive games/scenes from the Universal classic back catalogue.

I would have loved Cinematic Spectacular as a slow-moving dark ride. Same concept: 100 years of laughs (Minions, Abbott & Costello, Blues Brothers, etc), 100 years of horror (classic Universal monsters, Jaws, Psycho, etc), 100 years of wonder (BTTF, E.T., JP, etc.), showcasing their most famous scenes and sets and all narrated by Morgan Freeman.
That would actually be a great way to fully realize the CineSpec idea.

Another similar idea I've had is stepping into a DeLorean ride vehicle that's like the BTTF ride vehicle combined with the Spidey/TF RVs, and a live-actor playing Doc Brown (Lloyd is just too old now, hate to say) climbs into the drivers' seat and takes you through time for 100 years of Universal movies, combining AAs, film and sets. It'd be like a slower version of those rides, taking its "time".

It'd be the perfect way to integrate all the lost nostalgia for the park buuuuut I don't think Universal y'know, cares about that.

I say don't be so on edge with E.T.
Out of the 15 years of my life I have seen good rides torn down.
EX: Jaws, Kongfrontation, BTTF
And what came out of the ashes of those?
Diagon Alley, Mummy, and The Simpsons.
All of which are now beloved too.

But then again, there's Reign of Kong and we don't know how that will end up compared to Kongfrontation.

I say don't be so on edge with E.T.
Out of the 15 years of my life I have seen good rides torn down.
EX: Jaws, Kongfrontation, BTTF
And what came out of the ashes of those?
Diagon Alley, Mummy, and The Simpsons.
All of which are now beloved too.

But then again, there's Reign of Kong and we don't know how that will end up compared to Kongfrontation.
Honestly in my opinion I prefer BTTF to Simpsons and Kongfrontation to Mummy. Lets also not forget Ghostbuster closed to make way for Twister and Hitchcock was replaced with Shrek 4D. Change isn't always good.

Honestly in my opinion I prefer BTTF to Simpsons and Kongfrontation to Mummy. Lets also not forget Ghostbuster closed to make way for Twister and Hitchcock was replaced with Shrek 4D. Change isn't always good.
I wasn't around for those. But I did like twister. Be happy the female Ghostbuster show rumor wasn't true though. However, I was around for Jimmy Neutron (one of my favorites) to Despicable Me. They took an empty ride to a ride that barely dips below a 60 minute wait time. I respect that.

I'd agree with all that except I kind of like Shrek. I don't know why but I always feel a bit sick after the Simpsons and I never did after BTTF although that could be me getting older.

While I prefer Kong to Mummy (Simpsons blows BTTF out of the water), you can't deny that those replacements are at least the same level of quality.

And honestly, Ghostbusters wasn't all that good to begin with. I saw the Twister change as a wash.

While I prefer Kong to Mummy (Simpsons blows BTTF out of the water), you can't deny that those replacements are at least the same level of quality.

And honestly, Ghostbusters wasn't all that good to begin with. I saw the Twister change as a wash.
As a BTTF fan I wasn't really all too upset over losing the ride. I think the ride itself is bad wether it be BTTF or Simpsons, given the choice I would rather have BTTF over Simpsons represented in the park though. As you said I can see both Twister and Simpsons as pretty much a wash but I personally would prefer the older versions and it's hard to say that they were better than what they replaced.