E.T. Adventure General Discussion | Page 27 | Inside Universal Forums
  • Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I agree completely the family aspect is probably a big part of it. It also impresses me how the ride can work even for kids who have never seen ET. I think ET has a very good chance of survival, if however it was based on a more relevant kid friendly IP it's survival would be nearly guaranteed.

Problem with ET, outside of need of refurb, is placement. It can transition to have an entry into Hollywood/Central Park but it takes a big chunk of where Nintendo is gonna go. Universal's problem is already lack of empty space, so do they take over ET for the bigger IP or utilize the little bare land they have left on the MIB plot and restrict themselves from future park expansion?

Another question is whether the cost of a major refurb to ET outweighs the cost of adding Nintendo IP ride?

Reactions: Mike S
utilize the little bare land they have left on the MIB plot and restrict themselves from future park expansion?

Not to mention taking that plot adds more problems to the HHN team with house placements.

Another question is whether the cost of a major refurb to ET outweighs the cost of adding Nintendo IP ride?

Right. Maybe this is getting close to being a Disaster issue, when the ride system would require so much $$$ to replace it makes more sense to replace the ride than it does to refurb it.

Reactions: Mike S
Universal's problem is already lack of empty space, so do they take over ET for the bigger IP or utilize the little bare land they have left on the MIB plot and restrict themselves from future park expansion?

The problem with losing E.T. for the next new thing is that it puts Universal one step back in fixing the issue that they've had for a few years: there's stuff for young kids and there's stuff for older kids/adults, but not so many things for families to do together.

This wasn't such a big issue in the park's early years, with rides like Kong and Jaws, but losing it even for a few years as they build some Nintendo attractions would be a sad time for Uni. There should be more rides like E.T., not less.

The problem with losing E.T. for the next new thing is that it puts Universal one step back in fixing the issue that they've had for a few years: there's stuff for young kids and there's stuff for older kids/adults, but not so many things for families to do together.

This wasn't such a big issue in the park's early years, with rides like Kong and Jaws, but losing it even for a few years as they build some Nintendo attractions would be a sad time for Uni. There should be more rides like E.T., not less.
:thumbsup:...................Just do more vertical building of Nintendo, so they don't have to take out ET. Like you said, it's a time thing. Wouldn't have been so bad if Nintendo was ready for 2018, but if they have that Disney type timeline build with a finish in 2020 or later, that's way too long of a gap with no real family ride in the Studio's park.

Reactions: martymcflyy85

I'd rather see it stay too. Just pointing out the reality of the situation.

I'm really hoping it's still open come September. I'm starting to feel a big nostalgic and I've always told my wife that it's just an ok ride so she's never experienced it.

I really don't think that E.T. is long for this world. Even if Spielberg puts his foot down, I think Comcast will go over his head. Personally, I'm shocked they haven't bought his share of the resort. Maybe they have. It seems like they'll make that money back ten-fold over the course of a couple years.

But, Universal really seems to be pushing self-contained lands. Diagon Alley, Hogsmeade, Simpsons... all of these lands are completely contained and, in many ways, thematically separate from the rest of the park. It makes it extremely difficult for Universal to have parades or night-time shows without breaking theme, but that's the trade-off.

E.T. not only takes land from Nintendo, but it takes away thematic cohesion. All of the lands above (plus most of the IoA islands) have a clearly defined main entrance that helps build a proper entrance into the land. E.T. would provide this strange island in the middle of Nintendo that would provide too many entrances / exits.

Reactions: AlexanderMBush
I really don't think that E.T. is long for this world. Even if Spielberg puts his foot down, I think Comcast will go over his head. Personally, I'm shocked they haven't bought his share of the resort. Maybe they have. It seems like they'll make that money back ten-fold over the course of a couple years.

But, Universal really seems to be pushing self-contained lands. Diagon Alley, Hogsmeade, Simpsons... all of these lands are completely contained and, in many ways, thematically separate from the rest of the park. It makes it extremely difficult for Universal to have parades or night-time shows without breaking theme, but that's the trade-off.

E.T. not only takes land from Nintendo, but it takes away thematic cohesion. All of the lands above (plus most of the IoA islands) have a clearly defined main entrance that helps build a proper entrance into the land. E.T. would provide this strange island in the middle of Nintendo that would provide too many entrances / exits.
You can't just ignore Spielberg if there are legal stipulations or what have you. He still has a stake in universal Orlando, is still a consultant, still has a contract. We'll see next year if they redo the contract, but he is still involved with the building of the new Asia park.

You can't just ignore Spielberg if there are legal stipulations or what have you. He still has a stake in universal Orlando, is still a consultant, still has a contract. We'll see next year if they redo the contract, but he is still involved with the building of the new Asia park.

You have a valid point. But, given enough money, I'm sure Universal can renegotiate their contract with Spielberg. It's the same thing for Marvel - there's some amount of money (more than will ever be offered) where Universal will sign a new contract with Disney that renders the old one void.

Personally, I would think that Comcast would want Spielberg as a consultant and not a financial partner, but who knows.

And he just got in bed with your biggest competitor when you thought you had him locked up.

Reactions: misterID
I get that, and ET is one of my favorite movies, but I'm willing to bet in my generation there will be more nostalgic feelings towards Nintendo than there will be towards ET

I saw an ad today that really drove home for me the shift in demographics around ET.

I will let you all come to your own conclusions but the Jacksonville Symphony is doing a live performance with ET, part of their Symphonic Night at the Movies series.

E.T. The Extra Terrestrial

Reactions: Mad Dog

As I've said before, I have to think that if ET is legit closing; I would think that there'd be some meeting with Spielberg and Amblin for the sake of having ET leave USF.

Reactions: misterID
I saw an ad today that really drove home for me the shift in demographics around ET.

I will let you all come to your own conclusions but the Jacksonville Symphony is doing a live performance with ET, part of their Symphonic Night at the Movies series.

E.T. The Extra Terrestrial
Nice find Rich..........I read the article, but what surprised, or dismayed me, the most, was the invite to come & enjoy Jacksonville's best food trucks before the Symphony. Sorry Jacksonville, if you want to be part of the culture scene, food trucks just don't make it. Build a nice cultural district around the concert area with fine dining restaurants. Food trucks for a Symphony Orchestra scream out lack of class.

Just to clarify (and I promise not to stay on a soapbox) I think the food truck was an attempt to reach an audience in my generation and younger (12th anniversary of my 29th birthday) rather than my parents generation, especially with OneSpark events starting next week.

There are actually several nice restaurants in close proximity and about 5 under construction nearby (several investors have been pouring money into rehabbing post fire era buildings downtown and Brooklyn which is the neighborhood next to downtown). Jacksonville is a bit weird, being the largest city land-wise in the continental US, so where for most other places would have a separate* mid size town nearby but in the same county, those are higher density suburbs within the city limits here and typically have their own cultural "heart". *except the beaches, where the city of Jacksonville acts as the county government for them.

I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong, but I believe we are the only city in Florida, and one of the few in the south, that has a dedicated symphony hall. http://downtownjacksonville.org/locations/l-74-jacoby-symphony-hall.aspx

The symphony hall is in the same building as two performance stages, one larger I.E. for Wicked and one smaller with events almost every day.

:)

Reactions: Mad Dog
Just to clarify (and I promise not to stay on a soapbox) I think the food truck was an attempt to reach an audience in my generation and younger (12th anniversary of my 29th birthday) rather than my parents generation, especially with OneSpark events starting next week.

There are actually several nice restaurants in close proximity and about 5 under construction nearby (several investors have been pouring money into rehabbing post fire era buildings downtown and Brooklyn which is the neighborhood next to downtown). Jacksonville is a bit weird, being the largest city land-wise in the continental US, so where for most other places would have a separate* mid size town nearby but in the same county, those are higher density suburbs within the city limits here and typically have their own cultural "heart". *except the beaches, where the city of Jacksonville acts as the county government for them.

I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong, but I believe we are the only city in Florida, and one of the few in the south, that has a dedicated symphony hall. http://downtownjacksonville.org/locations/l-74-jacoby-symphony-hall.aspx

The symphony hall is in the same building as two performance stages, one larger I.E. for Wicked and one smaller with events almost every day.

:)
Glad you replied back with an explanation for that. I was aware of Jacksonville's annexation of all those areas. I believe Indianapolis did the same. Yeah, that just sounded crazy with the food truck emphasis. Good to see they're doing it the right way with a cultural center. :thumbsup:

Reactions: richjagr
As for ET going, I always try to go on it. I first went to USO in late 1990 and have had annual passes since 99, even living in Jax.

Lately when I have been with a group and get them to go on ET, they all "strongly complain" that I wasted their time. I know I see it through rose tinted glasses but those people that are not fans (and don't have kids) I have been with really think it was a waste of their time (and ask me what drugs I am taking if I enjoy it).