Future of Dragon Challenge? | Page 18 | Inside Universal Forums

Future of Dragon Challenge?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally going back to something; I wish they actually just build a new coaster instead of going with a Hulk. It would allow some very interesting possibilities, especially with an Inverted coaster.

If they were to do something like they are doing for Hulk I would be all for that. If they get rid of them completely I'll admit I'd be somewhat disappointed but it's understandable given its current state. Even after changing it to dragon challenge, destroying that amazing line in the process (the skulls and bones in the walls were cool) and after they stopped the dueling aspect, I still enjoyed them more than Hulk -fire side anyways. Not that I'm crapping on Hulk, I like that coaster a ton as well, but I enjoyed fire side as a whole better where as Hulk has an amazing launch and great into the first loop then just kind of loses its punch. That said, I never see anyone on the ride. Granted, I always go down during the slow season - though even the "slow" season doesn't seem so slow from my experience anymore, so I wouldn't be too shocked if they did want to do something with it.

Reactions: IAmFloridaBorn
Idea for a new HP coaster. A single track (possibly floorless) and call it Voldemort or Wrath of Voldemort. I know it might be corny. Just spit-balling ideas. Or a launch/reverse coaster?

Forgive my ignorance here, but why exactly did they cancel the dueling effect? I remember when Dueling Dragons debuted, and the dueling aspect was its defining feature. I knew they stopped that timing before it was converted to Dragon Challenge, but what was the reason for that?

Forgive my ignorance here, but why exactly did they cancel the dueling effect? I remember when Dueling Dragons debuted, and the dueling aspect was its defining feature. I knew they stopped that timing before it was converted to Dragon Challenge, but what was the reason for that?

Safety. People were dropping or losing things and riders on the other side were getting injured. I think one guy lost his eye.

Not only an eye... his only good eye. The ride pretty much deprived a guy of vision. You can see why they got rid of dueling now.

latest

Dueling Dragons was my favorite ride in IOA for a long time, with Ripsaw a close second. I was 15 when the park opened. I feel like this ride is what reminds me most of my teen years. I used to ride each coaster at least 5x every weekend I was at the park. Loved it.

...but I feel that the ride I loved has been gone for 7 years now. What I remember most fondly - the Pyhrrock and Blizzrock statues, the queue, the dueling, the ride again shortcut - all gone. Dueling Dragons left the park and Dragon Challenge took its place. At least the queue still smells the same.

Next time I'm in the park for leisure I'll be taking my last rides, and I'll be taking my 9-year old so she can experience the hollow shell of the attraction that her mother and I went on countless times while we were dating.

RIP in Piece, "Dragon Challenge". You were a victim of decline by degrees.

...also Ripsaw has been so over-safety'd that I haven't been able to even fit on it in a decade.

It will be very disappointing if/when they take Dragons out. I went on that ride in September 1999 which was my first time at the park. I loved it as much as the Hulk. I was there with a friend and we pretty much exited Ice and ran around to get in line for Fire. Two years later, I took my wife on it and she was a huge fan. We both loved the ride and the castle (at that time). Again, I really just hope that, if they change it out, that they stay with an inverted coaster.

If they do keep it a coaster, and it is inverted, what do you theme it too ? I am unfamiliar with Harry Potter but I enjoy it in the parks. Not sure if there are more characters or story lines that can be integrated into the theme parks.

Status
Not open for further replies.