Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Mass WDI Layoffs

Yeah... But this is actually a good thing if you ask me. WDI has been wasting talent and spending way too much money on lackluster projects for years. Something needed to be done.
I totally agree with you.....I'll never forget the story on Mice Chat from a former Imagineer where they told the story of a Disney park department that needed a real simple sign that they could have purchased for something like $50 off site, but they were forced to go through the Imagineers and paid thousands for a similar sign. (I can't remember the exact numbers, but they were something like that). Actually this was over due. Universal builds better attractions for less than half the cost in a more timely manner.

I totally agree with you.....I'll never forget the story on Mice Chat from a former Imagineer where they told the story of a Disney park department that needed a real simple sign that they could have purchased for something like $50 off site, but they were forced to go through the Imagineers and paid thousands for a similar sign. (I can't remember the exact numbers, but they were something like that). Actually this was over due. Universal builds better attractions for less than half the cost in a more timely manner.

Problem is culture change. People get used to big budgets and long timelines. I'm sure that there would be an adjustment period. Plus, I wonder if they would check their egos at the door. Before, they were in the glorious department. Now, they might have to answer to management on delays and budgets. I could see it going both ways. Some people can adapt more easily and assimilate into the new company. Others, not so much.

Problem is culture change. People get used to big budgets and long timelines. I'm sure that there would be an adjustment period. Plus, I wonder if they would check their egos at the door. Before, they were in the glorious department. Now, they might have to answer to management on delays and budgets. I could see it going both ways. Some people can adapt more easily and assimilate into the new company. Others, not so much.
Yep.....I have a good story illustrating that mindset. I was on a Search Committee whose task was to hire a new Prison Warden for a large county that was having severe budget problems. So we needed a candidate that could handle a cut budget. We interviewed a candidate who was running a large Federal correctional facility who was a lifetime bureaucrat. When we asked him questions about how he handled his budget, his answer was, "I spent every penny they ever gave me in the budget". Well, that was, the wrong answer. Of course we didn't recommend him. Imagineering was like one of these lifetime bureaucrats. They had become a bureaucracy that was unwieldly,ineffective, and people advanced via the Peter Principle. I always feel for people losing their jobs, but this did need to happen sooner or later.

Last edited:
And if they move to UC, they are in for a culture shock. No F'ing around with them. Everything has been decided and spelled out like crazy. They push the envelope so hard that they cannot afford to be quibbling about paint colors or cement stamps.

So that means our expectations of the future of Disney Parks should be even LESS than what they currently were. Cool.

Well if it's outsourcing on a major scale, then those are the people who know to use a specific budget and get it done on time. Under Disney's dime, Garner Holt is able to produce miraculous stuff, so that's something to look forward to.

So it's Jim Hill but might as well discuss this:

Yes, 2000 layoffs was at a time when two massive projects were being completed plus the company started to go into financial distress, but it's still a huge number less than the current layoffs. Does anybody know how many are (or were) employed at WDI recently? I know the plans to form the small satellite branches and outsourcing much more work, but was this going to happen anyways?

So it's Jim Hill but might as well discuss this:

Yes, 2000 layoffs was at a time when two massive projects were being completed plus the company started to go into financial distress, but it's still a huge number less than the current layoffs. Does anybody know how many are (or were) employed at WDI recently? I know the plans to form the small satellite branches and outsourcing much more work, but was this going to happen anyways?

Saw another site post that the LA Business article was saying 1700 in WDI but it seems that figure does not seem right to a lot of people.

As I said before. We won't know the full ramifications of this until 6 to 12 months down the line. Then we'll know who really got pushed out, how many etc.. Right now we're at the stage of corporate gobbledeegook of spin, using media connections & minions to add to the spin, media releases to soften the happenings, delayed retirements, consulting job fronts etc. Think the pre show in the Terminator attraction. That's really the way corporations PR works in these situations, funny & strange as it may seem...I'll reserve final judgement until this time next summer to see how it "really" shook out. :)

Clarification: Joe's contract is not being renewed, once it's up he's gone.
That makes sense, because yes, that's the way it usually occurs. Top people rarely ever get "fired". They get let go in other ways. And many of these executive contracts have clauses that will pay them huge severances, even after the contract is up. As I said above, the spin is out there right now, so the bottom line will be there in the future for all those to see.

That makes sense, because yes, that's the way it usually occurs. Top people rarely ever get "fired". They get let go in other ways. And many of these executive contracts have clauses that will pay them huge severances, even after the contract is up. As I said above, the spin is out there right now, so the bottom line will be there in the future for all those to see.

He's effectively fired.