Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Journey to Atlantis

At SeaWorld when you walk off the train and there you are AT the North Pole and there's Santa and the huge sleigh full of presents, it's goosebumps or tears time the first time you see it, even as an adult.

I agree, the simulator portion itself is a mixed bag, but they do a great job transforming most of the rest of the attraction. I really hope it's coming back, I missed the chance to see it last year. I personally don't really have any high degree of affection for the Rudolph cartoon, and I just don't see it creating as much of a sense of experience and place as The Polar Express does.

"somewhat" is a good term. I personally find the movie worthy of a house in HHN.
I agree, hate the MOVIE, love the experience they create a SeaWorld. They boil it down to just a few minutes of those creepy CGI characters, with most of it being focused on the well done CGI train.

I agree Rudolph is better known, I just don't know it lends itself to a simulator attraction the way PE did.

With the age of the simulators and the potential lack of replacement parts, I would guess it is ripe for replacement sooner rather than later.

They definitely need a new ride instead of a rehab for Wild Arctic unless it is a major overhaul. I'd like to see the exhibit stay though as it is so well themed. Some of the extras there are stuck in the 90s though so that needs to be modernized.

Let's be completely honest guys. The only good part about Wild Arctic is the exhibits, and those still need a refurbishment.

FWIW, SeaWorld's creative team has concepts drawn up for updates and/or replacements for both Wild Arctic and Journey to Atlantis. The question is not if but when they will be updated and/or replaced. The five years of updates thing Manby talked about a few years ago originally included these. Whether or not other projects get priority is to be determined.

I know this year the items on the list are something happening at the Dolphin Cove area (@hatetofly), re-marketing for a current ride, and something else. I doubt that something else is related to Wild Arctic or Journey to Atlantis if the Dolphin Cove project is significant in either way, but we'll find out soon enough. My prediction is Wild Arctic or Atlantis gets a major refurb and/or rebuild in 2018.

Be on the lookout for announcements. September is ripe for one and Investor's Day is only a few months away.

I feel for Journey, both the interior and the queue needs extensive work. For the queue, there needs to be a build up prior to boarding the ride. I heard back in the day, it was built up by someone warning "us" that there is danger and not to go, and like news vans or something talking about the arise of Atlantis, that should be there still. The story is an interesting one, and in a dark ride/flume type, it's something that is required to have. What's the point in having an indoor section if there is nothing worth mentioning indoors?

I feel for Journey, both the interior and the queue needs extensive work. For the queue, there needs to be a build up prior to boarding the ride. I heard back in the day, it was built up by someone warning "us" that there is danger and not to go, and like news vans or something talking about the arise of Atlantis, that should be there still. The story is an interesting one, and in a dark ride/flume type, it's something that is required to have. What's the point in having an indoor section if there is nothing worth mentioning indoors?
Yup, there used to be a pre-show talking about Atlantis rising from the sea. There was a fisherman who warned the locals not to believe what they were being told. Once inside the ride, the same fisherman is the one who releases Hermes to protect us (part of that spiel is missing). From then on it is a LOT of broken effects and stuff thats off timed now. Especially missing is the fog at the top of the coaster part that had the evil Atlantean's face projected on it, that you went through into the coaster

Yup, there used to be a pre-show talking about Atlantis rising from the sea. There was a fisherman who warned the locals not to believe what they were being told. Once inside the ride, the same fisherman is the one who releases Hermes to protect us (part of that spiel is missing). From then on it is a LOT of broken effects and stuff thats off timed now. Especially missing is the fog at the top of the coaster part that had the evil Atlantean's face projected on it, that you went through into the coaster
Back in the day it was actually one of the best water rides in Orlando...Interesting how poor maintenance can overshadow a stellar ride

Atlantis certainly has the layout of a good ride. It quite surprises me that sea world couldn't hire a few people knowledgeable about control/ ride systems to maintain something like this. They would be a small cost in the scheme of things. Then again corporate bean counters can be that stupid.

i just don't understand how hard it is to maintain effects/replace effects with low reliability with effects that are easier to maintain. I don't understand why seaworld wouldn't keep the inside up to date because it would be really nice if they would. Journey to Atlantis is a fun ride, but it's frustrating because it would be a great ride with a complete story and working effects

i just don't understand how hard it is to maintain effects/replace effects with low reliability with effects that are easier to maintain. I don't understand why seaworld wouldn't keep the inside up to date because it would be really nice if they would. Journey to Atlantis is a fun ride, but it's frustrating because it would be a great ride with a complete story and working effects
It just isn't a dark ride park. I am guessing whenever budget cuts came around things like that were the first to go. After all you don't want to cut back on fish for the animals or the things that people see while walking around.

It's still not right. Don't build a ride if you're not going to maintain it, but it is what it is.

There was an episode on the Sea World show back in the day..It showed the ride right after it first opened...I remember being really impressed, but it was the end of the 90's haha