Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion | Page 168 | Inside Universal Forums

Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought this might be helpful for those of you who are still wondering which slides you're getting.
VB — Postimage.org
image.png

Slides:
4 Mat Racers - In Volcano
2 Skybox Twisters - In Volcano
1 Skybox Freefall - In Volcano
1 Hydromagnetic Rocket - Standalone/ Volcano
1 Flying Saucer - South Tower
1 Tornado 24 - South Tower
1 Tornado Wave 60 - Northwest Tower
1 Mammoth - Northwest Tower
2 Pipeline - Southwest Tower
2 Pipeline Constrictors - Southwest Tower
2 Turbo Twisters - East Tower (not yet constructed)

Kid Water Fortress:
1 Water Kingdom - Attached to Volcano

Other:
1 Wave Pool
1 Wave River
Forgive me if this has already been answered but what slide was considered "The secret" attraction?

I thought this might be helpful for those of you who are still wondering which slides you're getting.
VB — Postimage.org
image.png

Nice job!

Now if things were up to me, after Wet N Wild closes, I would relocate and retheme Disco H2O and Brain Wash onto a new tower, and maybe build a second tower for the Storm slides.
Those rides are too unique and popular to just throw away, and seeing as how we aren't getting any of those style of slides at Volcano Bay, it would be a smart move.

Slides:

Kid Water Fortress:

Other:
1 Wave Pool
1 Wave River

VB — Postimage.org
image.png
Thank you both so much! Now, which slides are the lava colored slides? They sorta look like body slides based on no splash pool.

Reactions: anihilnation
Nice job!

Now if things were up to me, after Wet N Wild closes, I would relocate and retheme Disco H2O and Brain Wash onto a new tower, and maybe build a second tower for the Storm slides.
Those rides are too unique and popular to just throw away, and seeing as how we aren't getting any of those style of slides at Volcano Bay, it would be a smart move.

^ This. I totally agree, @Cheezbat. Those 3 rides are indeed unique, never been on any rides like them. Similar ride elements maybe, but not the same. I would think they would fit the thrill level of the rides at VB.

Slides:

Kid Water Fortress:

Other:
1 Wave Pool
1 Wave River

Pretty good list! Only thing to correct is that Proslide refers to its wider curves as "Explosion Curves". Constrictor is the trademark their rival WhiteWater use for that feature. Are the two Skybox Twisters "TurboTwisters"? Those are awesome, intense and usually have a long ride time. Any idea what kind of Mat Racers we're getting?

Pretty good list! Only thing to correct is that Proslide refers to its wider curves as "Explosion Curves". Constrictor is the trademark their rival WhiteWater use for that feature. Are the two Skybox Twisters "TurboTwisters"? Those are awesome, intense and usually have a long ride time. Any idea what kind of Mat Racers we're getting?

Thanks for the correction! Explosion Curves sounds way better than Constrictor anyways :p.

On the topic of the Mat Slides, it should be noted that these aren't really racers. Traditionally, Mat Racer slides tend to be grouped together and follow the same basic layout, kind of like Aquatica's Taumata Racers. Universal is going for a more custom look and feel with theirs. If you take a look at the aerial photos, the Red/Yellow/Black/Black complex are the slides I'm referring to as Mat Racers. I came to this conclusion based on the slide pieces that have yet to be added. Mat Racers have unique starting points that give a good indication of ride type, much like drop boxes do for our body slides.

The two Skybox Turbo Twisters are essentially larger versions of Ihu's Breakaway Falls. They look to be significantly taller and longer than the ones at SeaWorld.

The Skybox Free Fall ride is the one featured in the platform at the top of the volcano. Think Bombay at Wet N' Wild but more than double the height. I know that in the rendering, it shows people riding this attraction in an group of three, but new renderings show this starting in a red drop box. It'll be the tallest body slide in North America when the park opens, surpassing both Summit Plummet and Deep Water Dive in terms of height.

The Flying Saucer is going to be completely unique to Orlando. You're seated in a toboggan like fashion and take 2 downward curves at higher than normal water slide speeds. Should be thrilling although shorter than most comparable slides.

One thing that I find a little bit disappointing is that all of the BIG family water rides (Flying Saucer, Tornado, Mammoth, and Tornado Wave) are all incredibly short rides... like half the length of what a traditional family slide should be. Perhaps this is to help deal with long lines, but i found it interesting that most of the body slides are substantial in length, but the family raft rides are all very very short compared to their cousins.

Last edited:
Thanks for the correction! Explosion Curves sounds way better than Constrictor anyways :p.

On the topic of the Mat Slides, it should be noted that these aren't really racers. Traditionally, Mat Racer slides tend to be grouped together and follow the same basic layout, kind of like Aquatica's Taumata Racers. Universal is going for a more custom look and feel with theirs. If you take a look at the aerial photos, the Red/Yellow/Black/Black complex are the slides I'm referring to as Mat Racers. I came to this conclusion based on the slide pieces that have yet to be added. Mat Racers have unique starting points that give a good indication of ride type, much like drop boxes do for our body slides.

The two Skybox Turbo Twisters are essentially larger versions of Ihu's Breakaway Falls. They look to be significantly taller and longer than the ones at SeaWorld.

The Skybox Free Fall ride is the one featured in the platform at the top of the volcano. Think Bombay at Wet N' Wild but more than double the height. I know that in the rendering, it shows people riding this attraction in an group of three, but new renderings show this starting in a red drop box. It'll be the tallest body slide in North America when the park opens, surpassing both Summit Plummet and Deep Water Dive in terms of height.

The Flying Saucer is going to be completely unique to Orlando. You're seated in a toboggan like fashion and take 2 downward curves at higher than normal water slide speeds. Should be thrilling although shorter than most comparable slides.

One thing that I find a little bit disappointing is that all of the BIG family water rides (Flying Saucer, Tornado, Mammoth, and Tornado Wave) are all incredibly short rides... like half the length of what a traditional family slide should be. Perhaps this is to help deal with long lines, but i found it interesting that most of the body slides are substantial in length, but the family raft rides are all very very short compared to their cousins.
WnW had a mat slide like this (mach5), the VB one looks much better though.

Do you know the heights of the skybox slides? I am thinking between 150 and 160 for the fall and about 120 maybe for the superloop? Ihu is just over 80 I think, so the VB ones should be intense, hopefully they will have a nice drop first, then go into the helix part. I really like these slide types, has a great intensity!

The drop slide (Ko'okiri Body Plunge) is at a 70 degree angle and has a 125 foot drop. Not sure on the other two. :)
Thanks ... should be 40 ft more than ihu, less of an angle though, at least of blue and orange which are 80 degree, orange maybe a little more.

Feel awful looking back now, but had the perfect view of the VB construction from the window beside the elevators in CBBR. Got too excited from being on-site for the first time in seven visits! My question is, since the two new towers in CBBR are basically beside/inside the new park, anybody think they'll offer some sort of side entrance the the CBBR guests? It seems far too convenient for the towers to be so close, and even though they aren't struggling, it'd drive up the bookings for CBBR.

Feel awful looking back now, but had the perfect view of the VB construction from the window beside the elevators in CBBR. Got too excited from being on-site for the first time in seven visits! My question is, since the two new towers in CBBR are basically beside/inside the new park, anybody think they'll offer some sort of side entrance the the CBBR guests? It seems far too convenient for the towers to be so close, and even though they aren't struggling, it'd drive up the bookings for CBBR.

I think they will have a path over to the park entrance so you don't have to go to the garage and catch the shuttle

Status
Not open for further replies.