Comcast Buys Dreamworks Animation for $3.8bn | Page 13 | Inside Universal Forums

Comcast Buys Dreamworks Animation for $3.8bn

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Most articles have been looking at this deal as about gaining the movie IPs. The TV and Classics aspects will likely have a much bigger impact for Comcast.
The entire deal makes sense. Sure they overpaid big time. But it works really well with all the facets of Comcast's business........ And, an added plus, is that merchandise sales will belong entirely to Comcast once they channel more Dreamwork's owned IP's into their parks.

Reactions: Galaxy Defender
I'm looking forward to actually finding Waldo when and if they allow him in the Parks.
Two words:

Hidden Waldos
Wheres-Waldo.jpg

I'm on the younger side of things but I also found out that the Classic media library including a lot of Archie Rights as well not just show rights but music, tv, film, and some other stuff. I didn't grow up or really pay attention to them but I know the comics are popular (not owned by Comcast). Would people want to see those characters in the parks or on their tvs and in movies?

I'm on the younger side of things but I also found out that the Classic media library including a lot of Archie Rights as well not just show rights but music, tv, film, and some other stuff. I didn't grow up or really pay attention to them but I know the comics are popular (not owned by Comcast). Would people want to see those characters in the parks or on their tvs and in movies?
Archie has never been a very successful IP. The comics keep going mainly because of reprints. It never had a TV show that lasted very long.

I've often thought the name "Toon Lagoon" dosen't necessarily need to go, rather the land needs to be face lifted with more relevant toons
Keeping the name Toon Lagoon gives them more flexibility in what goes in there. Many of the characters there come from VERY old comic strips. Time for some new(er) blood.

NBC Universal is reportedly cutting 200 jobs from DreamWorks. Much of this is anticipated due to overlapping departments. Thus comes after a cost cutting loss of 500 early last year. This article has some good information including quotes from NBC Universal CEO Steve Burke from earlier this week. My favorite qoute is this:

“All of the DreamWorks characters will start to emerge in our theme parks and attractions,” Burke said. “DreamWorks has a very robust television animation business…. We were not in the television animation business, so this now gives us that capability.”

LA Times

NBC Universal is reportedly cutting 200 jobs from DreamWorks. Much of this is anticipated due to overlapping departments. Thus comes after a cost cutting loss of 500 early last year. This article has some good information including quotes from NBC Universal CEO Steve Burke from earlier this week. My favorite qoute is this:

“All of the DreamWorks characters will start to emerge in our theme parks and attractions,” Burke said. “DreamWorks has a very robust television animation business…. We were not in the television animation business, so this now gives us that capability.”

LA Times
That's great news, especially the attractions part.. that means we're getting more than just a few more characters in a parade.

Reactions: Mad Dog
Yes, I don't think there's been much doubt that one of the reasons for the purchase was to fill the parks with Universal (Dreamworks) owned & controlled IP's. Profit at every level of the IP.

Reactions: Joel
Yes, I don't think there's been much doubt that one of the reasons for the purchase was to fill the parks with Universal (Dreamworks) owned & controlled IP's. Profit at every level of the IP.
Dreamworks purchase was so much more than the parks though. Huge IPs which can be capitalized to make up for the cost of the purchase simply within the movie division alone. Then there's TV animation, which is a big get for Comcast as it gives them something to compete in that arena. The deal also came with a bunch of classic movies packaged in and a few holiday classics - big time get for NBC.

Honestly, merch and theme park additions are just the cherry on top of this acquisition.

Reactions: Joel and Mad Dog
Dreamworks purchase was so much more than the parks though. Huge IPs which can be capitalized to make up for the cost of the purchase simply within the movie division alone. Then there's TV animation, which is a big get for Comcast as it gives them something to compete in that arena. The deal also came with a bunch of classic movies packaged in and a few holiday classics - big time get for NBC.

Honestly, merch and theme park additions are just the cherry on top of this acquisition.
I agree. That's why I said "one of the reasons" and "profit at every level of the IP". :):thumbsup:

I am really wishing to see a major attraction for ROTG from this buy. I think it could be an amazing dark ride and perfect competition for Frozen Ride. After all IMO Elsa was a total rip off from the previous year release ROTG's Jack Frost (except for having a true purpose in life).