Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Comcast Buys Dreamworks Animation for $3.8bn

I am really wishing to see a major attraction for ROTG from this buy. I think it could be an amazing dark ride and perfect competition for Frozen Ride. After all IMO Elsa was a total rip off from the previous year release ROTG's Jack Frost (except for having a true purpose in life).
Sounds like a great idea for a ride. But the movie only did 300M worldwide. Not that many people would be familiar with it. I had to google RotG to figure out what it was.

I am really wishing to see a major attraction for ROTG from this buy. I think it could be an amazing dark ride and perfect competition for Frozen Ride. After all IMO Elsa was a total rip off from the previous year release ROTG's Jack Frost (except for having a true purpose in life).
What is that?

From IMDB:

Generation after generation, immortal Guardians like Santa Claus (Alec Baldwin), the Easter Bunny (Hugh Jackman) and the Tooth Fairy (Isla Fisher) protect the world's children from darkness and despair. However, an evil boogeyman named Pitch Black (Jude Law) schemes to overthrow the Guardians by obliterating children's belief in them. It falls to a winter sprite named Jack Frost (Chris Pine) to thwart Pitch's plans and save the Guardians from destruction.

13961597-285e-43a7-a552-89a92a7a2cfb.jpg

From IMDB:

Generation after generation, immortal Guardians like Santa Claus (Alec Baldwin), the Easter Bunny (Hugh Jackman) and the Tooth Fairy (Isla Fisher) protect the world's children from darkness and despair. However, an evil boogeyman named Pitch Black (Jude Law) schemes to overthrow the Guardians by obliterating children's belief in them. It falls to a winter sprite named Jack Frost (Chris Pine) to thwart Pitch's plans and save the Guardians from destruction.

13961597-285e-43a7-a552-89a92a7a2cfb.jpg

Personal opinion, this sounds awful. Was it any good?

Oh and the chemistry of Hugh Jackman (Bunny) and Chris Pine (Jack) was pretty funny. It's definitely a great movie and pretty deep for all those people out there who felt like an outcast or unnoticeable in our society. It's kinda like Katy Perry's Firework lyrics delivered as action cartoon film. lol if that makes sense

In an great move, HTTYD3 and Larrikins will be officially moving to Universal for DWA..

Larrikins is a great move. Not so much HTTYD3 due to how negative the reception to 2 was. Either way whether Fox distributes or Universal, UNI is the "owners" of the IP and films, same if they put dreamworks shows on Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, Netflix, etc. They own it.

I thought the reception to HTTYD2 was actually good, and that it has a 92% rating on Rotten Tomatoes aswell in critics..

Domestic Box office was a flop.

But when the weekend numbers were totaled, Dragons 2 failed to hit expectations, taking home $49.5 million. It was a surprising blow, especially since the original 2010 film had opened to nearly the same amount ($43.7 million) despite its chilly March release date and without a built-in brand. What’s more, that film dropped just 33 percent in its second weekend and stayed in the weekend’s top 10 for 10 weeks. Dragon 2 dropped off a rocky 50 percent in its second weekend, and hung around the top 10 for only six weeks. A month after its release, no family film had emerged as the Despicable Me 2-style runaway box-office leviathan, and Dragon 2 was just another summer movie competing with other giant tentpoles.

Summer box office: Why didn't 'How to Train Your Dragon 2' fly higher? | EW.com

Domestic Box office was a flop.

Domestic made about 177 Million dollars while International carried 444 Million, resulting in the film making about 621 million overall. I wouldn't exactly classify that as a domestic flop, as it still made profit for them, even if International was the ones carrying the film to be a success.

Box Office Mojo lists the HTTYD2 budget at 145M. Rule of thumb is a movie has to make double its budget to be profitable. That leaves it making a 300M profit. Definitely not a flop. It certainly had a stronger international to domestic ratio than most animated movies.

I saw the first movie but don't even know what the second one was about. Not sure if that means bad plot or poor marketing.

DreamWorks hasn't had a movie do $200 million domestic in forever and glancing forward towards their future slate, I gotta wonder how much longer that streak will last. For reference's sake, Disney, Pixar, and Illumination are all currently averaging around $350 million. Not good numbers for a company that was once had big family appeal.

DreamWorks hasn't had a movie do $200 million domestic in forever and glancing forward towards their future slate, I gotta wonder how much longer that streak will last. For reference's sake, Disney, Pixar, and Illumination are all currently averaging around $350 million. Not good numbers for a company that was once had big family appeal.
Universal should be able to help punch up their domestic numbers for future releases.