Halloween Horror Nights 27 General Discussion | Page 14 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 27 General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Same theme, different approach is Charlie Mccarthy (Charles was the codename for Dollhouse of the Damned too)

It might be a little too obvious, but you get "checkmate" by cornering a player's "King" so that they have no other moves where it isn't in danger.

Maybe they finally cornered Stephen King into letting them use one of his properties. Possibly for the new It remake?

Or Charles and Checkmate are the same property. In the Q&A Murdy was asked if he would make a maze based on a Stephen King book or film. He said he would absolutely if he were allowed to - an open ended answer. He did not say " we can't we're not allowed to". The next question should have been "are you allowed to this year?"

King famously will not give the rights to his books for haunts. But what about the rights to films based on those books? How much control does he have over the films? Particularly how much control would he have over film rights he sold at the beginning of his career before he became the power he is today? The Shining was shot by Stanley Kubrick for Warner Brothers and King has said many times he was not happy with the film. He had his "own" version made for television many years later. The rights would be controlled, I believe by the Kubrick estate and Warners. And they just succeeded in a difficult negotiation with Warners last year for The Exorcist - a property they had pursued for years and years. The contract allowed the maze in three separate HHN events last year. So Warners has now gotten into a comfortable place with Universal for HHN rights - could they have circumvented Stephen King entirely and got The Shining?

As someone pointed out Murdy said he was surprised they are even doing Charles which would point to a property long thought impossible to acquire, and the elevator scene indeed fits quite well with what he had been saying as well. So why Charles?

Charles is the name of the future King.

Odds are if they have gotten The Shining it will be a shared IP, how could they not use it wherever they can? I'd expect it in Hollywood, Orlando and Osaka like with The Exorcist.

So could Checkmate be for The Shining as well?

Checkmate is what you say when you finally take the King.

All of this is, of course, mere speculation.

I would have thought even if it is a movie based on one of his books he would still need to approve anything based off of it due to copyright etc

I'll just throw out one more possibility for the new Orlando code name.

What about Ash vs Evil Dead? After all..."Hail to the King, baby"

I know we're kind of all set on Shining at this point, but it fits.

Or Charles and Checkmate are the same property. In the Q&A Murdy was asked if he would make a maze based on a Stephen King book or film. He said he would absolutely if he were allowed to - an open ended answer. He did not say " we can't we're not allowed to". The next question should have been "are you allowed to this year?"

King famously will not give the rights to his books for haunts. But what about the rights to films based on those books? How much control does he have over the films? Particularly how much control would he have over film rights he sold at the beginning of his career before he became the power he is today? The Shining was shot by Stanley Kubrick for Warner Brothers and King has said many times he was not happy with the film. He had his "own" version made for television many years later. The rights would be controlled, I believe by the Kubrick estate and Warners. And they just succeeded in a difficult negotiation with Warners last year for The Exorcist - a property they had pursued for years and years. The contract allowed the maze in three separate HHN events last year. So Warners has now gotten into a comfortable place with Universal for HHN rights - could they have circumvented Stephen King entirely and got The Shining?

As someone pointed out Murdy said he was surprised they are even doing Charles which would point to a property long thought impossible to acquire, and the elevator scene indeed fits quite well with what he had been saying as well. So why Charles?

Odds are if they have gotten The Shining it will be a shared IP, how could they not use it wherever they can? I'd expect it in Hollywood, Orlando and Osaka like with The Exorcist.

While the rational side of my brain knows that this is only speculation and should be taken with a grain of salt....I'm going to let the irrational side of my brain accept this analysis as fact. The Shining has long been my top-tier dream IP.

Interestingly enough, last year the closet in Halloween sported what looked like Danny's jacket in the film and the carpet in AHS seemed to be the carpet from the film as well.

A tour guide on a behind the scenes tour I was on later confirmed that said carpet was in fact based off of the carpet in the film.

It could have very well been A&D toying with the fans always in search of a good Easter egg.

However, with the code names "Charles" or "Checkmate" and the new relationship with WB "The Shining" seems plausible.

I guess time will tell...

I would have thought even if it is a movie based on one of his books he would still need to approve anything based off of it due to copyright etc

Not as long as it only uses material from the movie--well, depending on the initial contract, but given it's from the 1970s and King was far from a star at that time, I imagine WB has the rights to do this. They can't call it "Stephen King's The Shining" or anything like that but could do a movie-based house.

My only question would be if they're willing to piss off King by doing so. If they go down this route, he seems like the kind of guy who will never allow his books or any movie IP he controls into HHN (not that he's shown inclination to before).

Reactions: Mad Dog and DanB89
Not as long as it only uses material from the movie--well, depending on the initial contract, but given it's from the 1970s and King was far from a star at that time, I imagine WB has the rights to do this. They can't call it "Stephen King's The Shining" or anything like that but could do a movie-based house.

My only question would be if they're willing to piss off King by doing so. If they go down this route, he seems like the kind of guy who will never allow his books or any movie IP he controls into HHN (not that he's shown inclination to before).

Is there any precedent for this in any prior events? Any situation where the adaptation of an IP has been used without the approval of the original's creator/rights holder?

Is there any precedent for this in any prior events? Any situation where the adaptation of an IP has been used without the approval of the original's creator/rights holder?

Not off the top of my head, but then again (1) reliance on IPs at HHN is a fairly recent phenomenon, and (2) there are few creators famous/powerful enough for their opinions to matter.

Only thing I can think of--not a perfect analogy--is the Marvel house around 2002-2003. HHN team thought they had the rights to Marvel characters in a MSHI house, with a lot of justification, but went a little too far. "Headless Spider-Man" too far ...

Reactions: Clive and Mad Dog
I'm gonna make a guess and predict a Ring vs Grudge house as Universal 100% owns both the concepts and IPs despite other studios distributing films based on them.

I'm gonna make a guess and predict a Ring vs Grudge house as Universal 100% owns both the concepts and IPs despite other studios distributing films based on them.

You might not be too far off the mark there. We have a new Rings sequel/reboot coming in a few weeks as well as Sadako vs Kayako (the Ring vs Grudge) movie in Japan.