Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks | Page 262 | Inside Universal Forums

Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I absolutely love some of these gimmicks to create the illusion of speed on the ride.

This one is my favorite:
screen-shot-2017-04-07-at-94018-am-2.png

Arches, or other physical things, on a rotating track above the car track fly by you quickly, to give the appearance that you yourself are traveling faster. Love it. Love it so much.

I absolutely love some of these gimmicks to create the illusion of speed on the ride.

This one is my favorite:

Arches, or other physical things, on a rotating track above the car track fly by you quickly, to give the appearance that you yourself are traveling faster. Love it. Love it so much.

Theres also three cars on the track. Almost like they are in a race....

Reactions: Mike S and Alicia
I feel like these are the best choices for the ride. Ghost House gets Boo in the mix, Bowser's Castle is obvious, and RR is iconic. Mario Circuit would be a good "starting off" point
Yeah, I was just trying to think of what the most common courses are. The game usually starts with some variation of Mario Circuit, a Ghost House course is in the game fairly often, there's almost always some type of Bowser, and every game always ends with Rainbow Road. And with the exception of Rainbow Road, those are all also iconic elements from the primary Super Mario Bros. series.

Reactions: Mike S and Alicia
Yeah those four seem like the best bet. Also, can someone post some of the patent images here? The images won't load on the site for me for some reason.

Yeah those four seem like the best bet. Also, can someone post some of the patent images here? The images won't load on the site for me for some reason.
Entering warp pipe:
screen-shot-2017-04-07-at-94004-am-2.png

Exiting warp pipe, with lighting or projections on tunnel walls to create a transition between scenes:
screen-shot-2017-04-07-at-93917-am-2.png

Projections illuminating tunnel section:
screen-shot-2017-04-07-at-93923-am-2.png

Tunnel physically raising or lowering to create sensation of speeding up or slowing down:
screen-shot-2017-04-07-at-93932-am-2.png

Obstacles in your path:
screen-shot-2017-04-07-at-94009-am-2.png

Arches in the tunnels:
screen-shot-2017-04-07-at-94013-am-2.png

And my favorite, arches on a treadmill moving past you quickly to create illusion of speed:

Something to note, is that most, if not all, of these tunnel sections would have projections or LCD screen technology to make it look like the backgrounds are zooming passed you, which in turn makes it look like you're going faster. And given the colorful nature of Super Mario I think having projected or video screen walls behind physical props would make for a more immersive experience that is truer to the source material.

The patent states the tunnel could use projectors or self-illuminating displays like LCD screens to display "the sky, clouds, trees, buildings, bodies of water, wild life, aircraft, trains, other vehicles and the like" while also incorporating special effects like wind and lighting changes to signify speed.

While Universal is getting really good at projection mapping onto curved areas, not so sure LCD screens are yet up to the task.

This LCD cube was created for filming the movie Gravity. It displayed the backgrounds for the space scenes in real time, just so the lighting on the actors' faces would match up to the final composite shots in CG:
GVD-02044.jpg

LCD is getting there, but still has much more visible pixels than say 4k projections, but I like the ideas expressed in the patent for sure.

Reactions: Mike S
I'm going to be that guy. Universal will not be able to pull off these permits successfully LOL while I would love them to do so it just seems a bit ambitious compared to the last few projects so I'm not so sure they are capable of doing so. On another note though Universal has done so great on theming and delivering with the last few projects that I do believe they can do it at the same time so no win-win for me but I'm going to go ahead and say I'll believe in tendo land when I actually see it and if it ever comes to fruition with what some of these permits are capable of my gosh this is going to be the best theme park land ever created in the world in my opinion