Race Through NY Starring Jimmy Fallon | Page 226 | Inside Universal Forums

Race Through NY Starring Jimmy Fallon

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I've said I didn't like it but could see where other people would probably like it. As far as GP, I'm surprised because they seem to enjoy this but didn't enjoy Kong because screens so :shrug:
To me this attraction does a better job of using screens than Kong. Kong relies more heavily on using screens where this has other entertainment elements in the queue to add to the overall experience. Kong does this as well but to a lesser degree, and then when it gets to the ride the screens could have been implemented into the environment better. Kong is a great attraction and I really like it, but I feel it has a few very minor flaws whereas Jimmy Fallon feels like a more polished attraction overall.

I've said I didn't like it but could see where other people would probably like it. As far as GP, I'm surprised because they seem to enjoy this but didn't enjoy Kong because screens so :shrug:
Might have had a lot to do with expectations. High for Kong, a major E ticket, less so for a D ticket in a small space like Fallon replacing Twister. ....Kong reminds me a lot of Gringotts. Gringotts got a lot of grief at first since so many were expecting a high level thrill coaster while it was mostly intended as a family level thrill ride. Now it seems to be a much loved & appreciated attraction after expectations settled. I expect the same will happen with Kong once expectations become more realistic. It gets good ridership but the anti screen high thrill expectation crowd probably expected different and I'd imagine that's where the deficient portion of the survey results come from.........

Reactions: Alicia
To me this attraction does a better job of using screens than Kong. Kong relies more heavily on using screens where this has other entertainment elements in the queue to add to the overall experience. Kong does this as well but to a lesser degree, and then when it gets to the ride the screens could have been implemented into the environment better. Kong is a great attraction and I really like it, but I feel it has a few very minor flaws whereas Jimmy Fallon feels like a more polished attraction overall.

I'll agree the queue is a huge standout, but there is no way this attraction uses screens better. Sorry, I know that I just said that comment about opinions, but that opinion is crazy talk. :lol:

Reactions: jtsalien
Might have had a lot to do with expectations. High for Kong, a major E ticket, less so for a D ticket in a small space like Fallon replacing Twister. ....Kong reminds me a lot of Gringotts. Gringotts got a lot of grief at first since so many were expecting a high level thrill coaster while it was mostly intended as a family level thrill ride. Now it seems to be a much loved & appreciated attraction after expectations settled. I expect the same will happen with Kong once expectations become more realistic. It gets good ridership but the anti screen high thrill expectation crowd probably expected different and I'd imagine that's where the deficient portion of the survey results come from.........

Well I think @s8film40 is right about the queue being good.

Also, something to think about is GSAT scores could still be good, but negative comments can still be included about the screens.

Well I think @s8film40 is right about the queue being good.

Also, something to think about is GSAT scores could still be good, but negative comments can still be included about the screens.
Good point. We've never actually had anything official saying Kong surveys were negative. Could just be that people are extrapolating complaints about screens into negative scores for the attraction. Has anyone actually seen those scores or has it just been word of mouth handed down through a couple layers of people?

Good point. We've never actually had anything official saying Kong surveys were negative. Could just be that people are extrapolating complaints about screens into negative scores for the attraction. Has anyone actually seen those scores or has it just been word of mouth handed down through a couple layers of people?

Well you'll never see scores; but ahem, it was a little more than just hating screens.

Reactions: jtsalien
I'll agree the queue is a huge standout, but there is no way this attraction uses screens better. Sorry, I know that I just said that comment about opinions, but that opinion is crazy talk. :lol:
I think the point I was trying to make is the use of screeens are fairly seemless in Fallon. You enter a theater where an obvious edge identifies the show/screen and your theater goes on a ride through NY. Kong's use of screens is FAR more ambitious. My only complaint about Kongs use of screens is the edges of the screens are very apparent in what should be a cave setting. Had they set the screens a little further back and built up a little more rock work I think it would have worked better. That's obviously just a minor nitpick, but I cannot really come up with a nitpick like that for Fallon. I guess to put it more simply I think Fallon achieves better results in a lower league.

Reactions: Alicia and Mad Dog
That's obviously just a minor nitpick, but I cannot really come up with a nitpick like that for Fallon. I guess to put it more simply I think Fallon achieves better results in a lower league.

Well that's probably because it's just 1 screen, but I get what you're trying to say.

Jimmy had mentioned during the announcement that the ride is like the Harry Potter rides except it's with him instead of Harry Potter. We all know this attraction will be far different from any of the HP rides but someone who has no idea what the ride system is may think it's going be a Kuka style ride or something. Then again I could be completely wrong.

From the attractions Wikipedia page: "On the October 27, 2015 episode of The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon, Jimmy Fallon officially announced the attraction, to open in 2017 at Universal Studios Florida, similar to Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey and in 3D."
Well from a person who has rode the ride. It is similar to HP's The Forbidden Journey. Except, they try to jam pack every character from the tonight on here. That just gives it a bad taste for me. The que was really cool though.

Well from a person who has rode the ride. It is similar to HP's The Forbidden Journey. Except, they try to jam pack every character from the tonight on here. That just gives it a bad taste for me. The que was really cool though.
Forbidden Journey pretty much packs in the entirety of Harry Potter lore as a summary ride experience, so that's a pretty bizarre comparison to make as a critical point.

Reactions: UltimateUOR
First ride over the weekend and I must say I enjoyed myself quite a bit! We had no trouble with the app, walked right in during our time, the Ragtime Gals performed immediately (they make the experience to me, they were so good, I'm not sure how many teams they have but this one was great!), waited about 20 mins, then boarded. A little delay with the seatbelts (a communication issue, needed a Spanish speaking TM, nothing mechanical), ride was fun and boom we were out.

Was it the best idea to make a ride of, no (though it does fit New York pretty darn well!). Could they have done something "better", yep, but all in all I was impressed with what they were able to do. IMO, its the best out of the theater rides (picture quality,movement, effects) and makes Shrek feel that much more obsolete. Though I do not want more of this type of ride (theater type), this will be more than a one and done for me.

First ride over the weekend and I must say I enjoyed myself quite a bit! We had no trouble with the app, walked right in during our time, the Ragtime Gals performed immediately (they make the experience to me, they were so good, I'm not sure how many teams they have but this one was great!), waited about 20 mins, then boarded. A little delay with the seatbelts (a communication issue, needed a Spanish speaking TM, nothing mechanical), ride was fun and boom we were out.

Was it the best idea to make a ride of, no (though it does fit New York pretty darn well!). Could they have done something "better", yep, but all in all I was impressed with what they were able to do. IMO, its the best out of the theater rides (picture quality,movement, effects) and makes Shrek feel that much more obsolete. Though I do not want more of this type of ride (theater type), this will be more than a one and done for me.
Great review! Yea, I think Shrek would've been better off just being a 4D movie like Muppet-Vision. There's no need for the seats to move so dramatically like they do. Either make it a ride, or make it a show. Shrek falls somewhere in between and that makes it kind of fail at being either.

Fallon is a great 3D theater ride, and I like it better than Minions now. Shrek is the worst 3D show, behind T2-3D, Philharmagic, Muppet-Vision, and even the Disney-Pixar Short Film Festival (which is just a temporary concept with cartoons available on DVD shown in the former Captain EO theater.)

Reactions: knoxmyers
Shrek is behind the Pixar Short Film Festival? Jesus. :lol:
I love the one where Mickey and Bluto fight in and out of the film screen that showed before Frozen in theaters. It is the best use of 3D in a cartoon ever.

But those moving seats on Shrek make me wanna puke. We get it we get it, horse hooves. And the sounds of the pneumatic tubes sticks with me for hours after. Pft pft pft pft pft pft pft.

I love the one where Mickey and Bluto fight in and out of the film screen that showed before Frozen in theaters. It is the best use of 3D in a cartoon ever.

But those moving seats on Shrek make me wanna puke. We get it we get it, horse hooves. And the sounds of the pneumatic tubes sticks with me for hours after. Pft pft pft pft pft pft pft.

I love that one too. Is that part of it? I figured it would've only been the more sci-fi/futuristic themed ones.