Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

SeaWorld Orlando's Future Plans

Why 2022? This seems like a fairly easy thing to do. I haven't been to a Sesame Street land before so not sure what it entails but wouldn't they just re-theme the rides and add a show or something? Five years though?! I'm just a little upset because my 3 year old will be 8 by then and he would really like this now and probably won't care by then.:lol:

I have long thought that this would be good idea for SeaWorld. This will help draw families with young kids. I wonder if this will have any effect on LegoLands attendance? Anyone have any idea where there might be looking for the new Sesame Place?

Sesame Street is coming to SWO by fall 2022 after their partnership was extended through 2031. It is expected that it will go in place of Shamu's Happy Harbor as SeaWorld attempts to re-brand themselves away from 'Shamu'.

They also will build a second Sesame Place theme park by 2021. This is a really smart move because it provides a source of income for SeaWorld that is not directly connected to animals and directly connected to a trusted brand. SeaWorld has the option for more Sesame Place parks internationally if they decide to pursue the brand more.

Source: SeaWorld and Sesame Street plan new "land"in Orlando, new theme park by 2021 - Orlando Sentinel

@Nick C. should this be its own thread considering its not a part of the 5-year plan and involves the company in general?
Is the new park also for Orlando? If so, I'd find it odd the kidzone overhaul is for 2022 and the new park for 2021. Then, perhaps they have plans for SWO until 2021, so they just decided to hold off on overhauling the kidzone until all those plans are finished, and then turn the kidzone into sesame street as their 2022 project?

The new park will NOT be in Orlando.

I think this is a solid move in the redirection effort.

I still like the idea of replacing the ski stadium with something like Paradise Pier in DCA. Call it SeaHarbor Boardwalk. Have a big white "wooden" coaster as the backdrop. An Octopus/Spider flat, a jellyfish themed wave swinger, Clamshell Tilt-A-Whirl, move the carousel from Shamu's Happy Harbor over, make a really cool Ocean themed old school funhouse walk-thru, and a pirate/pirate ship themed old school "haunted house" dark ride.

Why 2022? This seems like a fairly easy thing to do. I haven't been to a Sesame Street land before so not sure what it entails but wouldn't they just re-theme the rides and add a show or something? Five years though?! I'm just a little upset because my 3 year old will be 8 by then and he would really like this now and probably won't care by then.:lol:
You can always go to Busch Gardens in Tampa (or Williamsburg) for a Sesame Street themed land.

I don't believe Seaworld will be in business in 5 years, so this announcement is a little funny to me.
Please take this negativity somewhere else....

You can always go to Busch Gardens in Tampa (or Williamsburg) for a Sesame Street themed land.
Yeah that's true. SeaWorld is a regular lunch or dinner spot for us due to the dining plan so we're there anyways. I have been considering upgrading our passes to add Busch Gardens, but it would only be an occasional trip.

New walls up today. This is on the pathway towards Bayside stadium just passed Wild Arctic.
The walls I posted last week from the Shark Touch Pool at Wild Arctic are still up but a look behind them shows the shark tanks are back in order. It just looks like it was a cleaning of the area and re positioning the tanks. It looks like it could reopen any day now

Attachments

• Walls1.jpg
    Walls1.jpg
    806.2 KB · Views: 5
I dont think it's a good idea for Sea World if that new park comes to Orlando (Although the said it wont)

But If they make this immersive and give it a full land treatment, this is a start in the right direction.

Remove Polar Express (Wild Arctic (Love that theme)) , and Ski Stadium and boom we're talking.

I Love Sea World. I hope it survives.

I don't believe Seaworld will be in business in 5 years, so this announcement is a little funny to me.
Universal has gone to disney level pricing. There is a huge void in a lower cost option that sea world fills. This does force the hand of sea world to build rides and attractions that reflect budget they have given the space in the market they have been forced into, but it absolutely does not mean they will go out of business. Mako is one of the best rides in orlando and cost around 25 million. There is a market for this. The park is changing yes but they finally ousted Blackstone and the Chinese have money to burn and have been willing to invest long term.

Since Blackstone is now out of the picture, I believe Sea World Orlando survives. If Blackstone was still involved, I would be very concerned. Things are looking up, but it will be a long slow climb back. The bleeding should stop after this year. But with Universal's new mega theme park status, I doubt Sea World will ever equal their attendance levels from 2009, 2010.

Since Blackstone is now out of the picture, I believe Sea World Orlando survives. If Blackstone was still involved, I would be very concerned. Things are looking up, but it will be a long slow climb back. The bleeding should stop after this year. But with Universal's new mega theme park status, I doubt Sea World will ever equal their attendance levels from 2009, 2010.
I actually think that we could see the fracturing of the Disney vs Universal vacation and the attractiveness of I Drive being an eventual boost for Sea World as an easy and affordable add on. Universal as having mega park status now has to build rides north of 100 million to maintain a certain expectation. At 10 million guests per year vs 5 million at sea world factoring in the other universal increased on site revenue 25-30 million on rides seems sustainable for Sea world. The key aspect is that the attractions industry is better positioned than ever to offer quality options at what one would historically consider a major regional park budget. RMC is consistently making some of the best rides in the world and other coaster manufacturers have stepped up consistency and themeing. We have justice league rides going into six flags parks pretty much unheard of in quality for that chain.

Also Orlando is one of the nations top growing cities for it's size and has an increasing place for a affordable park for locals that offers good seasonal events. Sea world so far has done a great job of this.

I actually think that we could see the fracturing of the Disney vs Universal vacation and the attractiveness of I Drive being an eventual boost for Sea World as an easy and affordable add on. Universal as having mega park status now has to build rides north of 100 million to maintain a certain expectation. At 10 million guests per year vs 5 million at sea world factoring in the other universal increased on site revenue 25-30 million on rides seems sustainable for Sea world. The key aspect is that the attractions industry is better positioned than ever to offer quality options at what one would historically consider a major regional park budget. RMC is consistently making some of the best rides in the world and other coaster manufacturers have stepped up consistency and themeing. We have justice league rides going into six flags parks pretty much unheard of in quality for that chain.

Also Orlando is one of the nations top growing cities for it's size and has an increasing place for a affordable park for locals that offers good seasonal events. Sea world so far has done a great job of this.
Yes, you make many good points, and I think you're right on in the direction they'll move. One issue though is that Sea World's attendance, by their own statements, is one third foreign tourists. The weakness in South American economies that are on their cyclical downward trend (news out of Brazil got even worse today, if that's possible) and the Brexit pound against dollar issues and UK visitors new proclivity to visit Universal for Potter, cut off Sea World's core constituency. Sure they can do the coasters and attract the locals with them, but guest spending from locals is many times less than free spending tourists. So, as you say, Sea World can reinvent themselves to a degree as a low cost coaster heavy park. And I think that will work to steady the ship and keep it from sliding. But I just don't see them ever reaching their past attendance that occurred with a weak Universal in the market. Locals could keep it alive, but with lower ticket cost and a heavier percentage of locals will come less revenue....I see a Sea World that stabilizes at apx. 5 million visitors a year with a lower spending customer base than they had previously. So, bottom line, survival but not thriving. Revenue is much more importance than attendance. All attendance is not created equal.

SeaWorld needs to become Orlando's Cheap but Thrill Capital.

Also, I'm surprised SeaWorld has yet to call themselves a resort destination with a theme park, water park and boutique park. If they can add a hotel, they can compare themselves to Disney/Universal.

I think the coasters may steady them but the park's success will not reach their past success. Even a really good coaster like Mako couldn't prevent a 15% drop in attendance. Huge success, no. Survival, yes, but with lower revenue than the park used to see as they transition to a more local based customer who spends significantly less than tourists per visit.