Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks | Page 319 | Inside Universal Forums

Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
If Nintendo wanted Beijing they would've included Beijing in their initial plans.
Universal doesn't completely control Universal Beijing (just like Disney and DL Shanghai); it's a complicated structure with dual ownership levels (operating / asset ownership - majority of assets owned by Chinese partner), and I'd assume that there's all sorts of content restrictions in the contracts that give the Chinese partial owner an important say in the content in the park.

The Chinese leader involved in the project mentioned that around 30-35% of the content would be Chinese/local and that they might have to build to that over time starting from a lower base. Either way, content in China is a completely different and more complicated situation than elsewhere like Japan/US where Universal fully controls the parks.

My impression is that Nintendo in Beijing will have to be negotiated after the first park is fully built. Universal+Nintendo will probably gauge how successful it is in the US and then show the Chinese partner that it's a good idea to bring it to Beijing.

But these things can be impacted by politics as well (there's all sorts of situations where Japanese/Korean content is restricted in China when geopolitical tensions rise), that's probably why Nintendo and Universal are waiting and seeing on future Nintendo Worlds outside of Japan/US.

Reactions: Mad Dog
are consoles even popular in china.I know PC gaming is huge there but I don't think they have much of a console market.
They banned consoles until 2014, so it's a young market. Given that PC and mobile gaming were the only legit ways to play anything, those are far more dominant there than anywhere else.

Consoles may never be big in China due to the way mobile/PC dominate.

The next gen. of consoles will be a better example though given that they'll be the first ones to be fully unrestricted. We don't really have any clear example of what Chinese sales would be like for a new generation launch.

When Nintendo speaks of negotiation for other parks, couldn't they mean UOR gate four...as in maybe they only agreed to Kids Zone in Orlando for now, maybe with options for another gate at UNI for Orlando?

Reactions: Coasted
When Nintendo speaks of negotiation for other parks, couldn't they mean UOR gate four...as in maybe they only agreed to Kids Zone in Orlando for now, maybe with options for another gate at UNI for Orlando?
Orlando appears to be coming in phases so they may have already decided what content they want in the parks they're aiming at; by that I mean it appears that Pokemon/Zelda are being held off for a 2nd Nintendo set of attractions in Orlando.

Yeah Universal isn't dumb and putting all the big IPs as a single ride or store in the initial land is dumb. Pokémon needs its own area due to the possibilities and popularity. Zelda, while I have never played, seems to have its own style and chances to have a rich environment by itself.

Reactions: Mike S
Was at USF today documenting KidZone so I have video and photos forever. Greeter lady at Nuthouse Coaster told me to take as many photos as I could, cause it was gonna go away soon. Of course I asked her how soon and she said by September. Just FYI.

With the new walls up blocking the view of Fievel from the ET queue I assumed work was going to start immediately after the summer. It appears the staff feel the same.

Was at USF today documenting KidZone so I have video and photos forever. Greeter lady at Nuthouse Coaster told me to take as many photos as I could, cause it was gonna go away soon. Of course I asked her how soon and she said by September. Just FYI.

With the new walls up blocking the view of Fievel from the ET queue I assumed work was going to start immediately after the summer. It appears the staff feel the same.

If Kidzone goes by September..that would be very, VERY interesting.

Reactions: Joel and Mike S

I think the plan is to close the place in phases starting in Sept., but still use the area for HHN queues this year. After that the place goes down for a couple years.

As much as I want Universal to start working on this ASAP so it can open sooner, I'd like it if ET could at least stay open through the end of the year.

I'll actually miss the Ball Factory. Much rather have Nintendo, of course. But it was a unique play area. I'm glad I got to say goodbye properly to it all today. It wasn't in my plans but I couldn't help it as I passed by. Figured there's no telling when it'll close and I might not be back for a couple months.