Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Howl-O-Scream 2017

New behind the scenes of the commercial on Snapchat and Instagram. Video shows them filming in Motel Hell and the commercial has a scene with an Usher in it.

Fiends will be moved to the Stanleyville Theatre this year. That makes me question whether or not the Fright Feast will be offered this year.

Fiends will be moved to the Stanleyville Theatre this year. That makes me question whether or not the Fright Feast will be offered this year.
There is a rumored 2nd show that will show in Dragon Fire. Fright Feast was their best selling upgrade so I don’t see them canceling it

So full line up is

Undead Arena Live
Demented Dimensions
The Black Spot
Motel Hell
Unearthed
ZCU 15
Death Water Bayou

Thoughts? Im thinking Demented Dimensions might just be a 3d reskin of the clown house from the last few years.

Last edited:
So full line up is

Undead Arena Live
Demented Dimensions
The Black Spot
Motel Hell
Unearthed
ZCU 15
Death Water Bayou

Thoughts? Im thinking Demented Dimensions might just be a 3d reskin of the clown house from the last few years.
Looks different from the video they posted.

Enough with the Zombies....

Now that HoS is up and running, and that media was allowed to film in the houses, time for some general thoughts. This is actually rather nice for me since in the past there really wasn't too much house footage allowed, so I'll happily take what I can get!

Demented Dimensions - Since Attractions Magazine got a lights on behind the scenes tour (so I saw the house in full detail), I can say this is a pretty cool house. It's certainly a "Hodgepodge" type of house, but it fits considering you're going through different dimensions. There's some creative rooms, scares, a nice variety all the way through. My only nitpick is from the beginning (and the desc) it sounded like you're going through a doorway to each dimension. Heck, it's prominantly displayed in the logo. However there's no doorways seperating the rooms, so the transitions are seamless and it feels like one weird dimension instead of multiple ones. I never thought that would end up as a nitpick, but there it is. But other then that, it looks like a fun house.

Undead Arena: Live - Alrighty, so what is this new house about? Post-apocalyptic world, divided between the Worthy and Unworthy. We're the Unworthy, so for sport we're taking part in a event at the Undead Arena: Live where there's zombies. "Step into the arena & fight to stay alive" as it advertises on the website. Now what is the event we're playing? "You Bet Your Life" (and Lost). It looks more like a cheesy old game show...at times. Other times I'm not quite sure what the heck it was trying to portray. There's some good ideas in this house (Various ways of splitting up the line/groups, netting for a particular scare to grab onto), but it doesn't come together, in fact it looks -thrown- together. Hopefully if it returns next year, they touch up and refine it since there's a fun house in concept here.

The Black Spot - Ah, the Black Spot. A classic mark of death or a curse. You know what else is a curse? Pirate themed houses in general since most I've seen throughout the years don't work. (With the lone exception being the Pirates of Emerson haunt in California.) There's a few unique scares in here, plus some good set design. This is one of the few houses where the walk to the facade is nicely themed. But unfortunately as a whole it doesn't really work, and knowing what house this replaced (Deadfall), it's not a worthy replacement.

Unearthed - A rather nice concept with some great set design, plenty of scares and a killer sound design to boot. Overall it looks like a really nice house, though it's a tad odd not seeing the witch this house belongs to. This is Scarlett's house after all, but I think the blunder here is Busch Gardens getting the guys who did the Blair Witch Project to create Scarlett, and in turn -they- have the rights to her and not the park. (That is the only reason I can imagine we never saw Scarlett after her icon year.)

Death Water Bayou - With Zombie Morturary gone, this is the oldest house at HoS...and it still looks pretty dang good! It's good good detail, scares abound and quite possibly the most killer bungee scares I've ever seen! I can see why it's been a longtime favorite to many.

Motel Hell - Wow, wow, wowzers. A old motel where nightmares come to life, and the motel mysteriously cannot be torn down. All thanks to the Sandman, to which "Mr. Sandman" is playing at various speeds throughout the whole thing. This is a -killer- house, one that HoS can be very proud of! The only downside to a otherwise great looking house is a mask room which looks very out of place. I'd let it slide if the masks looked like the Sandman mask they use, but these look more like Jabbawockez masks.

Overall, the event looks really fun. Especially when you look at the various scare zones and all the monsters elsewhere throughout the park. Though there's two other observations I have.

One is while HoS does have a nice variety of scares, it was hard to ignore they're using a lot of bungee scares. Now I know they can be amazing, especially in DWB. But not every house needs them.

The second one is, when it comes to the houses people are really loving this year, I'm noticing on a lot of lists that Death Water Bayou is in most people's top two (Along with Motel Hell), for some it's people's straight-up favorite, and this is the -oldest- house at the event!

Last edited:
How busy is HOS these days? Pretty much all of my friends that used to go skip it for HHN now so I just assume it's not doing as well. Hopefully i'm wrong as the scareactors here are generally really, really great.

So TheTimTracker was at HOS opening night and yours truly made a cameo (employee in neon green shirt from 1:03 to 1:28 hawking Express passes).

How busy is HOS these days? Pretty much all of my friends that used to go skip it for HHN now so I just assume it's not doing as well. Hopefully i'm wrong as the scareactors here are generally really, really great.

Friday wasn't terribly busy, but Saturday certainly saw bigger crowds (ironically immediately after a storm had passed around 6:00). Houses looked to be around 45 min to an hour most of the night.

Depends on the day for the most part. They’ve had very little advertisement for the event so the opening night crowds were low. As we get later into October it does start to get more crowded where you see houses reach 45-70 minute waits though.

Went yesterday and did all 7 houses

1. Death Water Bayou (Good scares the whole way, some fun effects, just really fun. Better than Dead Waters IMO)

2. Motel Hell (Also some great scares here, like the chainsaw from the ceiling. Fun motif with Mr. Sandman and it just kept going.)

3. Demented Dimensions (Really fun wacky surreal house. This is exactly what I wanted and expected from the idea. Just insanity from beginning to end.)

4. Undead Arena (Fun gimmicks with some decent scares. Odd mashup of RUN, The Purge, and Walking Dead with a dash of Hunger Games)

5. ZCU15 (Not the scariest, but the gun gimmick was fun enough. Lots of strobes as well.)

6. Unearthed (A really good queue for an ok house. Nothing stood out too much except the room ripping in half at the end.)

7. Black Spot (Awful queue for just a very unnotable house. Nothing really jazzed or stood out to me. I know it wasn’t with HOS’s house adding pace but it truly felt like an afterthought. No big standout effects here.)