Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Mission:Space

They've could have added that in a weekend though. :lol:

Why go through the trouble of making new graphics, and having a new CAPCOM - just to have it be identical?

My only thought is that they have more planned once the restaurant happens and they'll switch it over to a new "mission" then.
Agreed a missed opportunity for a new Orange Mission... however the Green update is a huge win for the ride as it's not only more fitting for the "Less Intense" nature of the green side, but it also is a 40" height requirement on that side compared to 44" on Orange.

According to multiple insiders, this refurb wasn't supposed to happen until next year. I think they realize that they needed to get this done before Universe of Energy closed as M:S will be seeing longer lines now with nothing else open on that side of the park except for Test Track.

Any word on any changes in the post show?
No change that I saw. Except my name no longer randomly shows up on screens when I walk by. The screens near exit path are showing random space B-Roll, but otherwise exactly the same.

Everything looks cleaner. They definitely cleaned and repainted a bit around the queue, ride vehicles and exit during the refresh. But not much visible changes besides screens and pre shows.

Oh and the rotating space station simulator still not spinning and very dark now. Like purposely dim blue lighting on it like they're hiding it.

No change that I saw. Except my name no longer randomly shows up on screens when I walk by. The screens near exit path are showing random space B-Roll, but otherwise exactly the same.

Everything looks cleaner. They definitely cleaned and repainted a bit around the queue, ride vehicles and exit during the refresh. But not much visible changes besides screens and pre shows.

Oh and the rotating space station simulator still not spinning and very dark now. Like purposely dim blue lighting on it like they're hiding it.
I noticed in videos that the Gravity Wheel was very dark too. Hopefully that's not going to be permanent. I've accepted it will never spin again, but to shut off the lighting is unacceptable.

I took some photos, although my phone makes it look brighter than it actually is. Looks like the intent is to illuminate the wheel but not the individual rooms/compartments.

IMG_0598.JPG

IMG_0600.JPG

IMG_0599.JPG

Looking at both the Earth and Mars missions; and I have to say, ILM killed it with the visual's.

Similar to the update of Spider-Man back in 2012, Mission Space's new visuals give it a lot more detail and in this case, realism; to an element that has only been seen in my eyes to Transformers and Race Through New York (which, both are from ILM actually).

It makes me excited to see what they could be doing for Galaxy's Edge, as if this is an indicator for potential space sequences on the Falcon; this is going to be amazing for SWL.

And that I am happy to see ILM get two projects this year when you think about it; as they did a great job with the revamped graphical fidelity.

Looking at both the Earth and Mars missions; and I have to say, ILM killed it with the visual's.

Similar to the update of Spider-Man back in 2012, Mission Space's new visuals give it a lot more detail and in this case, realism; to an element that has only been seen in my eyes to Transformers and Race Through New York (which, both are from ILM actually).

It makes me excited to see what they could be doing for Galaxy's Edge, as if this is an indicator for potential space sequences on the Falcon; this is going to be amazing for SWL.

And that I am happy to see ILM get two projects this year when you think about it; as they did a great job with the revamped graphical fidelity.

Visuals and updates of the pre shows are amazing. Only issue is the new music is nowhere as good as the original score, excluding removing "Destiny" because that's trash.

It's a decent little update. My problem is that this kind of update should be done like every five years instead of like every fifteen years. I'm generally a fan of Mission: SPACE, it's no Horizons but I feel like they at least made a worthy attempt to create a new pavilion true to the EPCOT Center spirit but for modern audiences.

I was excited to hear that they were updating the pre-show, especially that it will ever so slightly more promote diversity. And I was certainly happy that it was finally going to be in HD. It drove me nuts from day one that they had these (at the time) fancy new HD monitors but a clearly standard def image.

I do think Gina Torres somehow falls even more flat than Gary Sinise. He never seemed like he was putting huge effort into it, but actually showed some halfway decent enthusiasm every once in a while, and certainly made the "don't move a muscle" line amusing. Gina Torres just totally lost me once I heard her take on that line, there was not even a hint of humor or any kind of emotion at all in her reading.

I'm glad they've made it more accessible to little ones, even if it's not really that huge a height difference. You never know what kid will have their imagination triggered in a big way by this, have their mind blown open by the experience and become inspired to work for NASA or SpaceX or even become an astronaut when they grow up... and that's really what the park should be all about. The new Earth/Green Mission is certainly well tailored towards kids so that it's not too overwhelming but there's still an element of thrill to it.

Mars/Orange looks great, of course. I appreciate all the new little details like the futuristic new satellite and space station in Earth orbit. It occurred to me this time that it's kind of goofy that NASA wouldn't turn your butts around back to Earth as soon as they saw that meteor shower approaching Mars. You certainly wouldn't want to even be on that planet with all those big rocks probably about to rain down on the surface.

All of the various new music around the pavilion is nice, although not as strong thematically as the original score. I appreciate they kept the exterior BGM and the score for the Mars mission, I just wish they had re-orchestrated it so that it doesn't sound so synth-y. Count me among those that are glad that they mercy killed Destiny, although I wouldn't be opposed if there were a little snippet of it of it somewhere, just not blaring on loop in that endless exit hallway. Speaking of which, still super annoyed that that hallway looks like something Kennedy Space Center would do in the 1980s rather than something Disney would do in the 21st Century.

Overall, big net gain here, just wish this was something Disney was more regularly doing with all of the Future World pavilions, it's very much in the spirit of how the pavilions were originally meant to be updated over the years.

It's a decent little update. My problem is that this kind of update should be done like every five years instead of like every fifteen years. I'm generally a fan of Mission: SPACE, it's no Horizons but I feel like they at least made a worthy attempt to create a new pavilion true to the EPCOT Center spirit but for modern audiences.

I was excited to hear that they were updating the pre-show, especially that it will ever so slightly more promote diversity. And I was certainly happy that it was finally going to be in HD. It drove me nuts from day one that they had these (at the time) fancy new HD monitors but a clearly standard def image.

I do think Gina Torres somehow falls even more flat than Gary Sinise. He never seemed like he was putting huge effort into it, but actually showed some halfway decent enthusiasm every once in a while, and certainly made the "don't move a muscle" line amusing. Gina Torres just totally lost me once I heard her take on that line, there was not even a hint of humor or any kind of emotion at all in her reading.

I'm glad they've made it more accessible to little ones, even if it's not really that huge a height difference. You never know what kid will have their imagination triggered in a big way by this, have their mind blown open by the experience and become inspired to work for NASA or SpaceX or even become an astronaut when they grow up... and that's really what the park should be all about. The new Earth/Green Mission is certainly well tailored towards kids so that it's not too overwhelming but there's still an element of thrill to it.

Mars/Orange looks great, of course. I appreciate all the new little details like the futuristic new satellite and space station in Earth orbit. It occurred to me this time that it's kind of goofy that NASA wouldn't turn your butts around back to Earth as soon as they saw that meteor shower approaching Mars. You certainly wouldn't want to even be on that planet with all those big rocks probably about to rain down on the surface.

All of the various new music around the pavilion is nice, although not as strong thematically as the original score. I appreciate they kept the exterior BGM and the score for the Mars mission, I just wish they had re-orchestrated it so that it doesn't sound so synth-y. Count me among those that are glad that they mercy killed Destiny, although I wouldn't be opposed if there were a little snippet of it of it somewhere, just not blaring on loop in that endless exit hallway. Speaking of which, still super annoyed that that hallway looks like something Kennedy Space Center would do in the 1980s rather than something Disney would do in the 21st Century.

Overall, big net gain here, just wish this was something Disney was more regularly doing with all of the Future World pavilions, it's very much in the spirit of how the pavilions were originally meant to be updated over the years.

Completely agree. Wish they would do refurbs/updates on these attractions more often, but this was something that was a nice surprise and the Space Restaurant will be the cherry on top.

This was the first significant refurb of the attraction in 14 years of existence, which is pretty unacceptable, but hopefully now that the park is pretty much out of the sponsorship phase, they'll start taking more ownership over these attractions in Epcot.

Completely agree. Wish they would do refurbs/updates on these attractions more often, but this was something that was a nice surprise and the Space Restaurant will be the cherry on top.
I am psyched for that restaurant. The Patina Group restaurants are always top notch, and there's so much you can do with the idea. Rumor is it will have a hydrolator-type experience, so that would be awesome. Bonus points if they have a freeze-dried dessert on the menu!

I am psyched for that restaurant. The Patina Group restaurants are always top notch, and there's so much you can do with the idea. Rumor is it will have a hydrolator-type experience, so that would be awesome. Bonus points if they have a freeze-dried dessert on the menu!
I can't wait for it either... on top of being a great concept, it's another step towards making it a more complete pavilion.

What size are they?

Like a 23" computer monitor turned sideways...?

But then viewed from a few feet away. It's hard to explain, but you're looking out through the instrument panel and such so there's some distance, and layers of glass that are there for effect, I think.

Like looking through a plane window.

I think the small screen is the weakness of the ride, especially the Green side. So many expectations, but bottom line, it's a "Tiny Skreenze" attraction. It just doesn't do anything for me, and I won't ride the Orange, even though that side has some substance, since I know that centrifuge type motion will make me sick for the whole day. Love the building and the queue, but the Green ride is so nothing.

Last edited:
Before the updates......The first time I rode it, I was too afraid to go to the orange side. So I rode the green side and I was like...is that it???? So then the next time I told myself to ride the orange side, thinking it would hopefully somehow be better. But the orange side made me deathly sick. NEVER AGAIN, lol. So now I'm looking forward to going to back to give the new green side a go again. Honestly more excited about the restaurant though.

Before the updates......The first time I rode it, I was too afraid to go to the orange side. So I rode the green side and I was like...is that it???? So then the next time I told myself to ride the orange side, thinking it would hopefully somehow be better. But the orange side made me deathly sick. NEVER AGAIN, lol. So now I'm looking forward to going to back to give the new green side a go again. Honestly more excited about the restaurant though.
Yes, the restaurant sounds like it could be cool if they do it right. :)

I did the orange side a week after someone died on the ride many years ago (short wait time) and was very disappointed. The cgi on the tiny screen was laughably bad and the ride never delivered on it's promises. It's the worst sceenz ride ever in the most stunning exterior building.