Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway (DHS) | Page 14 | Inside Universal Forums

Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway (DHS)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Martin is now estimating the length of the ride will not be the rumored 7-8 minutes, but something in the neighborhood of 5 minutes. I’m shocked (shocked!) that the budgetary hatchet men have apparently already gone to work on this…

Needless to say, I don’t think that’s a terribly efficient usage of the space, but it is what it is.

When I was riding GMR on last day, I was thinking the 8 minute rumor must have been BS. It's a big space, yes, but you're stopped for some of it and crawling through the rest of it. If this ride is going to have any real movement, 5 minutes seems more realistic.

Reactions: jtsalien
Food for thought...

Energy already has hammers and such going at it. The next day Epcot had a new park map with Energy removed.

No sign of work at Great Movie Ride. The park still hasn't updated the map.

I get the impression they had planned the GMR -> Mickey thing, but not to announce it at D23 and close a month later.
Disney Archives is still inside salvaging what they want right now... no demo for a week or two.

wow...I haven't looked at the toy story land thread in a while..the coaster looks almost finished!

Also, sad to see them gut a classic attraction, although I bet being part of the demo crew would be really fun!!

Last edited by a moderator:
More and more I'm thinking that the closure of GMR and UoE was as much about taking the animatronics out for re-use in Star Wars as anything.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Maybe for GMR to some small extent, but the Dinos in Energy were all pretty basic animated figures. There would be very little to harvest and reuse there for most other projects.

Maybe for GMR to some small extent, but the Dinos in Energy were all pretty basic animated figures. There would be very little to harvest and reuse there for most other projects.
Yeah, they were essentially clones of the animatronics from the 64/65 World's Fair

But I also think the question has to be asked, is it worth it to reuse 28 year old AAs, which would mean significantly slowing down demolition on GMR. Those old AAs are a nightmare maintenance wise and the stormtroopers won't need a ton of movement. I'd think they would just build new. SW:GE was funded long before they knew GMR would close, meaning they had already budgeted in the cost of those stormtrooper AA's.

If I was a betting man, i'd say many of those AA's have already been trashed.

Reactions: tielo
But I also think the question has to be asked, is it worth it to reuse 28 year old AAs, which would mean significantly slowing down demolition on GMR. Those old AAs are a nightmare maintenance wise and the stormtroopers won't need a ton of movement. I'd think they would just build new. SW:GE was funded long before they knew GMR would close, meaning they had already budgeted in the cost of those stormtrooper AA's.

If I was a betting man, i'd say many of those AA's have already been trashed.
Might do like the stork in Star Tours queue: rip the skins off and use them as droids sprinkled throughout shops and cafes in the land.