Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gonna throw out another concept/idea I've been thinking about: does anyone remember the early concept for IOA being "Cartoon World," which would have just focused on DC Comics, Looney Tunes, and Seuss? While obviously I think doing a park based on that narrow of a range of IP would be a bad idea, it does make me think. What if for Gate 3, instead of having 6-7 smaller lands, there's only 4 or so? And they could each be larger, feature more subsections and such, and be WWoHP-level immersive. Basically IoA on steroids.

I think Nintendo and DreamWorks can already do that; Both have a huge amount of IPs that could mix together fairly well in huge, family friendly lands. Other IPs that could work for this treatment are Jurassic World (imagine a true recreation of the park, featuring a huge scale and a large amount of attractions rather than the simple one we have now), and Middle-Earth (if they can get the rights somehow, this IP would truly deserve a huge land).

What does everyone else think of this idea? I think WWoHP being split across parks is a very special and interesting thing, but I personally would love to see what UC could do if they essentially built the Diagon and Hogsmeade-esque lands together in one huge, immersive environment.
I'd love to see a park with Nintendo, Dreamworks, Looney Tunes, and DC Comics. Of course that'll never happen though.

Six Flags will never give up Loony Toons and DC Comics. It's all they have.

I could see Six Flags allow Universal to borrow the DC franchise but it would probably be some ridiculous deal where they work on a ride concept together and Six Flags could port it to any of their parks.

Personally, I don't really care for DC in the parks.

I could see Six Flags allow Universal to borrow the DC franchise but it would probably be some ridiculous deal where they work on a ride concept together and Six Flags could port it to any of their parks.

Personally, I don't really care for DC in the parks.
I think it would be nice to see someone really try (Don't care for Six Flags ) a cool concept ride for Batman , Superman Etc. At least once. But I wouldn't be mad if DC want in any of the parks either.

I believe arrangements could be made to modify the contract with Six Flags (or a clause may already exist) regarding rights to Looney Tunes and DC characters in Florida. It's really the DC stuff that would be valuable, the Looney Tunes are less relevant to most people than the chracters Universal already has rights to through Dreamworks.

The relationship between Warner and Universal now is really good, and if they could get a deal ironed out for the DC stuff in Universal's new Orlando park it would benefit all involved (including Six Flags) so I see it could be a win-win-win.

Warner had been heavily pushing Six Flags to do more licensing recently and they really want to promote the DC properties (like Disney is doing with Marvel) because it is big money for them.

I believe arrangements could be made to modify the contract with Six Flags (or a clause may already exist) regarding rights to Looney Tunes and DC characters in Florida. It's really the DC stuff that would be valuable, the Looney Tunes are less relevant to most people than the chracters Universal already has rights to through Dreamworks.

The relationship between Warner and Universal now is really good, and if they could get a deal ironed out for the DC stuff in Universal's new Orlando park it would benefit all involved (including Six Flags) so I see it could be a win-win-win.

Warner had been heavily pushing Six Flags to do more licensing recently and they really want to promote the DC properties (like Disney is doing with Marvel) because it is big money for them.

I believe it depends on the goal for the next park. Who is the target audience? What is trying to be conveyed? Is WB's new leadership going to want to work with Universal after the AT&T merger goes through or will WB buy back up Six Flags? WB's most valuable asset right now outside of DC licensing is their Cartoon Network characters. Its also one of the few properties Six Flag can't touch

Literally Cartoon Networks show are worldwide. Part of the reason why they were included in Dubai, in Korea there are so many Cartoon Network stores and they show the shows in Korean. Well Known in China etc. I think if Universal did want DC presence they would ask for the Titans (Teen Titans) and keep it light.

I'd lose my mind over an Adventure Time ride and Steven Universe live show.

*glares at Dudley and empty theater*

DC's not gonna happen IMO. They don't need it when the have Marvel, especially with how huge of a hassle it would be.

I would imagine they can't use Marvel outside of IOA for attractions, and that since the MCU is being used at WDW in a sense of the design; I would sincerely doubt it.

Warner having an expanded presence at the fourth gate would make sense, it just depends on what happens after the ATAT/Warner merger.

Who needs quality shows like those, We Bare Bears, and more when you have shows like Teen Titans Go and Powerpuff Girls!
(I love Teen Titans Go! It reminds me of Animaniacs where the zany absurdity hides some hilarious, adult humor.)

(I love Teen Titans Go! It reminds me of Animaniacs where the zany absurdity hides some hilarious, adult humor.)

I am an OG Titans fan, and that TTG actually turned me off on an absurd level.

I think, Warner has a chance of having DC and Looney Tunes pop up at Universal Orlando Resort. It would be a chance for them to compete against Mickey Mouse and his pals with the LT, and that they would have more to use if DC was with them. But that's just the way I see it.

I am an OG Titans fan, and that TTG actually turned me off on an absurd level.

I think, Warner has a chance of having DC and Looney Tunes pop up at Universal Orlando Resort. It would be a chance for them to compete against Mickey Mouse and his pals with the LT, and that they would have more to use if DC was with them. But that's just the way I see it.
(I loved the OG Titans too. I expected Go! to be wildly different, and wanted it to be. It's my humor. And Control Freak apologizes for "rebooting" the Titans into TTG, which is so perfectly self-referential.)

I think DC comics have a shot at the next park. There's precedent for differentiating comic versions and movie versions now, and I don't think WB would "trust" Six Flags to do the movies justice (heh) the way they NEED to be. Looney Toons feels less likely. Universal has Dreamworks and Illumination. They fill that hole.

Yeah are looney toons even relevant anymore?

Looney Tunes, while not as popular; still is iconic for different reasons.

I think DC comics have a shot at the next park. There's precedent for differentiating comic versions and movie versions now, and I don't think WB would "trust" Six Flags to do the movies justice (heh) the way they NEED to be. Looney Toons feels less likely. Universal has Dreamworks and Illumination. They fill that hole.

I could see that hole filled, but personally; I think that it would still be something that would be noticed by quite a bit. I do agree that DC is far more likely, but it is a hope of mine if they get Warner to agree for an Orlando-Only contract.

Looney Tunes, while not as popular; still is iconic for different reasons.
I could see that hole filled, but personally; I think that it would still be something that would be noticed by quite a bit. I do agree that DC is far more likely, but it is a hope of mine if they get Warner to agree for an Orlando-Only contract.

DCs biggest issue is all the characters are face characters. Most don't cover their face. Add in the number of revamps/restarts/ etc of DC universse I'm sure Universal is like thank god because the moment they build something, there will be new aesthetic, actors, set design, etc. Its kinda the issue Six Flags is facing which is why they just stick to the animated versions rather than the film.

DCs biggest issue is all the characters are face characters. Most don't cover their face. Add in the number of revamps/restarts/ etc of DC universse I'm sure Universal is like thank god because the moment they build something, there will be new aesthetic, actors, set design, etc. Its kinda the issue Six Flags is facing which is why they just stick to the animated versions rather than the film.

How is that even a issue. Hell, look at what Six Flags did at Magic Mountain, hiring a professional company to apply makeup and prosthetics to their actors, with it looking albeit rather close to the film of Suicide Squad. There are ways you can make it work, even with most of the characters being face actors.

How is that even a issue. Hell, look at what Six Flags did at Magic Mountain, hiring a professional company to apply makeup and prosthetics to their actors, with it looking albeit rather close to the film of Suicide Squad. There are ways you can make it work, even with most of the characters being face actors.

ROI....first you have to spend money to license that IP. Then you are spending money to support an IP of a company you don't own. Updating your lands constantly to fit the film universe for an IP you don't own. While then giving them a share of profits for use of an IP. Add in consistently having to hire makeup etc to update for the films. I can see Universal saying its not worth the money.

Six Flags has to spend a certain amount of money every year on WB properties which is part of the reason they hired those makeup artists.

The only IPs I can see Universal going after at this point would be Bond, Star Trek, and Tolkien. Other than those, they already have a big batch of under utilized IPs of their own. Shrek, Panda, HTTYD, SLoP, SING, Madagascar, Pitch Perfect, Ghostbusters, Jurassic World, The Monsters, The Munsters, Beetlejuice, and Wicked to name a few. Throw in the usable Nintendo IPs and I think they have plenty to work with.

Status
Not open for further replies.