Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Artegon Site for New Theme Park?

So for now Artegon is basically an empty mall? Is the indoor mini golf gone as well?

Essentially yes. A few of the anchors remain, but the majority of the mall is walled off. Fairly certain the indoor golf was inside the wall last time I was at the theater, so done.

Ac
Essentially yes. A few of the anchors remain, but the majority of the mall is walled off. Fairly certain the indoor golf was inside the wall last time I was at the theater, so done.
At least as of last week when I saw Blade Runner there, Putting Edge is about the only thing that is still open. The discount bookstore next to it is long gone though.

It's also more for the locals than the others. It's easier to park there than at Disney Springs or Universal.
You make it sound like it's hard to park at DS. It's absolutely not. I used to work there at a 3rd party vendor and parked in the garage every day. It was always easy.

So for now Artegon is basically an empty mall? Is the indoor mini golf gone as well?

Off topic, but what happened with the land that once was rumored to get the Orlando Thrill Park, then later one was rumored to get a ski kind of attraction?
The rumor was that the buyer of Artegon was also buying that site...

You make it sound like it's hard to park at DS. It's absolutely not. I used to work there at a 3rd party vendor and parked in the garage every day. It was always easy.

It has gotten worse recently though - they now wont allow CMs to park in the garages after like 1pm on any day and not at all on the weekends.

I like that it seems to be focused more on movie cars, I might be interested in checking it out. Hopefully it's just enough of a tourist draw to kickstart more shops and restaurants. I could definitely see it being a good fit for God's and Monsters to return. Throw in an arcade, some other attractions and I could maybe see this mall finally working.

I wonder what the "and more” entails.

Forgive me for not being able to give all the details (the people who write my checks would get angry), but I will say the "and more" sounds like a Ninja Warrior-esque training course/attraction that includes trampolines, obstacles, rockwalls, VR attractions, paintball etc.

EDIT: I heard more may be in works, but for now its still a "lets get in here and see what we got" type of scenario first.

Forgive me for not being able to give all the details (the people who write my checks would get angry), but I will say the "and more" sounds like a Ninja Warrior-esque training course/attraction that includes trampolines, obstacles, rockwalls, VR attractions, paintball etc.

EDIT: I heard more may be in works, but for now its still a "lets get in here and see what we got" type of scenario first.

Ninja Warrior training course you say?

486A8B6E-E5C0-467F-8969-3B9BD87060DA.gif

The days of couple-hour attractions like Mystery Fun House and Xanadu are long gone. Look at CSI, which closed, and Titanic, which is on its way out if it's still open. Given that this plot is off the beaten path--by just a mile or so but that's far enough--it needs to be something largely self-contained. Great Wolf Lodge or something similar might work. Maybe a paradigm shift like the original Church St Station. (Not sure what that might be.) But trying to compete with everything further south on I-Drive just isn't going to work.

At the same time, I can't imagine any shopping surviving there with the Outlet Mall virtually surrounding it. Would always be the back-up choice, as was the case with Festival Bay.

And the final option--housing--doesn't seem particularly viable either, unless they can create a new access road further away. But as is, not convenient for traffic, and in a sketchy area.

Best of luck to the new buyers, but this just seems like a white elephant property.

I can't find the article, but there was another article talking about the Artegon purchase. It had a quote from the founder that made it sound like Artegon was basically going to be used as a warehouse/office with a fun center and retail on the side.

The new owner basically said that the real estate was too good of a deal to pass up.

I can't find the article, but there was another article talking about the Artegon purchase. It had a quote from the founder that made it sound like Artegon was basically going to be used as a warehouse/office with a fun center and retail on the side.

The new owner basically said that the real estate was too good of a deal to pass up.
Many old malls are being used as offices, call centers, etc these days. They cost too much to demo and unless you have a solid business plan to replace it, might as well keep the infrastructure in place.