Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

What's next for Busch Gardens Tampa??

The per cap guest spending at BG/SW offsets the price they are charging for admission. They still run about twice the per cap of a Six Flags or Cedar Fair park.

New Maintenance schedule is out. Kumba will be down for 7 weeks. I hope it's not VR coming.

Ride & Attraction Openings & Closures | Busch Gardens Tampa Bay
Kumba: January 8 - February 26
The Count's Rally: January 22 - 26
Elmo's Safari-Go-Round: January 29 - February 2
Flume: February 5 - March 9
Big Bird's Whirly Birdie: March 5 - 9
Snuffy's Elephant Romp: April 2 - 6
Bush Flyers: April 9 - 13
SheiKra: April 30 - May 19
Jungle Flyers 1 & 2: April 30 - May 4
Jungle Flyers 3 & 4: May 7 - 11
Jungle Flyers 5 & 6: May 21 - 25
Phoenix: May 29 - June 14
Gwazi Gliders: June 4 - 8
Hippos of the Nile: June 11 - 15
Rosita's Fly Away: August 6 - 10
Desert Runners: August 13 - 17
Carousel: September 4 - September 14
SkyRide: October 1 - October 26
Congo River Rapids: October 29 - November 21
Wild Surge: December 3 - 14

Schedule subject to change.

Can anyone confirm if Tanganyika Tidal Wave is still fully standing or not? I had a friend ask me about it. I'll be at the park Tuesday so I'll see for myself then, but if I could get them an answer sooner that'd be great.

The main reason they are asking is they think it may be getting sent down the street to Tampa's Lowry Park Zoo for their 2018 attraction. I told them I didn't think it was it due to the difference in height. (Their new attraction is supposed to have a 30 ft drop and TTW is 55ft).

I'm not a structural engineer, so I have no idea if Gwazi is still suitable for an RMC conversion (they have converted other rides that have been SBNO for a number of years). It does seem to me though that an RMC conversion would be perfect as it would be far more cost efficient than tearing the whole thing down (even if they do have to replace large portions of wood), clearing the site and placing new foundations etc. Time will tell I guess.

Can anyone confirm if Tanganyika Tidal Wave is still fully standing or not? I had a friend ask me about it. I'll be at the park Tuesday so I'll see for myself then, but if I could get them an answer sooner that'd be great.

The main reason they are asking is they think it may be getting sent down the street to Tampa's Lowry Park Zoo for their 2018 attraction. I told them I didn't think it was it due to the difference in height. (Their new attraction is supposed to have a 30 ft drop and TTW is 55ft).
yes it is.

So BGT isn't going to have a 2018 attraction?

And Gwazi needs a RMC redo asap.
Looks like the new attraction will be going to Adventure Island, if BG is getting anything it’ll be Kumba VR

I thought people mentioned of the 2018 addition enclosing the wild mouse. I could be wrong about that though..
By the looks of it, it’s not happening anymore but that’s not 100%

Regarding the Gwazi RMC conversion rumors, I have been informed that the ride looks more complete than it actually is at the point. A lot of the more intact lumber was shipped to VA for use in Invadr. While the conversion option still isn't off the table completely, I personally doubt it will happen. Just my 2 cents.

Why did Tidal Wave close? It was the best water ride in the park!!!
The splash bridge was far more popular than the ride itself...I would venture to say the same for Rhino Rally...It got to the point where maintenance costs outweighed ridership

Regarding the Gwazi RMC conversion rumors, I have been informed that the ride looks more complete than it actually is at the point. A lot of the more intact lumber was shipped to VA for use in Invadr. While the conversion option still isn't off the table completely, I personally doubt it will happen. Just my 2 cents.
I hope they knock it down and build a hyper or giga in the plot...Save an RMC for somewhere else in the park..

I wish they would tear down Gwazi, and Walkabout Way... and put in a water park in this spot. You could still keep the kiddie rides, and the concert venue.

Yeah, I know that Adventure Island exists, but that water park is almost the same size on the map (minus the parking areas) as Gwazi/Bird Gardens. No other park in Florida offers one-price admission to theme and water park, and that might attract some more budget-minded tourists from the Orlando market. Not to mention, they could use the land Adventure Island is on for a hotel, or sell it outright.

The days of Busch Gardens and the company as a whole, doing a massive project in that space are long-gone. They could spend $30 million on a new B&M but I’m not sure that would help attendance at this point. A new water park could be built for a similar budget (recycling some of the newer slides from AI), and would actually streamline a lot of back of house and service-related aspects between running two parks next to each other. Just food for thought.

I wish they would tear down Gwazi, and Walkabout Way... and put in a water park in this spot. You could still keep the kiddie rides, and the concert venue.

Yeah, I know that Adventure Island exists, but that water park is almost the same size on the map (minus the parking areas) as Gwazi/Bird Gardens. No other park in Florida offers one-price admission to theme and water park, and that might attract some more budget-minded tourists from the Orlando market. Not to mention, they could use the land Adventure Island is on for a hotel, or sell it outright.

The days of Busch Gardens and the company as a whole, doing a massive project in that space are long-gone. They could spend $30 million on a new B&M but I’m not sure that would help attendance at this point. A new water park could be built for a similar budget (recycling some of the newer slides from AI), and would actually streamline a lot of back of house and service-related aspects between running two parks next to each other. Just food for thought.
I would honestly like to see them re-work that area so that you couldn't hear the road right next to it anymore...Plus a hyper and maybe a smaller RMC or Gravity Group woody would be welcomed

I also heard talks of a resort somewhere down the road