Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks | Page 416 | Inside Universal Forums

Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I don't really like how Universal is doing things lately with the parks...why do we have to have the same property represented in each of the parks? It's just like how Disney is getting with things: blurring the lines between the theme parks...We already have Magic Kingdom. We don't need DHS or Epcot to become MK 2.0 and MK 3.0...same with Universal. We don't need Universal Studios/IOA/new park to all have the same content.

I don’t know, I mean there’s only a handful of plots in literature spun 80 gazillioon ways.

Disney tried with EPCOT, but John Q Public went to Disney to see Mickey. Personally, I like the UNI approach as opposed to Mickey in 20 different outfits.

These parks are really just trying to get a week out of visitors and I find all the gates in Orlando to be different enough to where I could see wanting to visit the different gates for differences.

I don't really like how Universal is doing things lately with the parks...why do we have to have the same property represented in each of the parks? It's just like how Disney is getting with things: blurring the lines between the theme parks...We already have Magic Kingdom. We don't need DHS or Epcot to become MK 2.0 and MK 3.0...same with Universal. We don't need Universal Studios/IOA/new park to all have the same content.
Adapting to what sellls. If you don't adapt to the technology and advantages available to you as a business you will get left behind. Having multiple representations of the same thing doesn't hurt the park. Sure visually and thematically it may not be ideal, but more of what people want gets their butts coming through the turnstiles again and again .

I kind of see what @Cheezbat was getting at, but potter 2.0 was perfectly executed because of hogwarts express. Right now to me it seems like this is how it will look if they expand Nintendo to Ioa;

SNW!!! > Pokemon
or
SNW!!! > zelda
If they can figure out a way to sell each other like potter then I atleast would be able to grasp the spreading out, otherwise i think it should be all together and its a missed opprotunity to me that there is not going to be an entire nintendo park. idk that's how I feel:shrug:

Edit: and I just realized that this all comes down to phase 1 being called super Nintendo world lol. It definitely should be unique names for each different series, like super Mario world, dk land, or Zelda island or something.

Last edited:
Reactions: Frank Drackman
To me, what matters more about the 3rd park is how they handle the overall theme/immersive aspects of the park. Even if there are IPs related to IPs in the other 2 parks (i.e. Jurassic World or Zelda or Fantastic Beasts), it could be a completely unique park if it manages to meld them into an overall experience which neither of the other parks can achieve.

USF is always going to be a haphazard "movie studio" kind of experience, IoA has the islands of IPs; those aren't really unique. If they can make the next park more immersive overall, I think it can stand apart in Orlando even with IPs that are related to those in the other parks.

And the reality is attendance is the most important factor, by putting parts of each IP in each park, you make it more necessary for guests to visit them all and design "weeklong vacations to Universal Orlando"... (the same will happen with LOTR which I think most of us expect to be the centerpiece of the next park as well as feature in IoA).

To me, what matters more about the 3rd park is how they handle the overall theme/immersive aspects of the park. Even if there are IPs related to IPs in the other 2 parks (i.e. Jurassic World or Zelda or Fantastic Beasts), it could be a completely unique park if it manages to meld them into an overall experience which neither of the other parks can achieve.

USF is always going to be a haphazard "movie studio" kind of experience, IoA has the islands of IPs; those aren't really unique. If they can make the next park more immersive overall, I think it can stand apart in Orlando even with IPs that are related to those in the other parks.

And the reality is attendance is the most important factor, by putting parts of each IP in each park, you make it more necessary for guests to visit them all and design "weeklong vacations to Universal Orlando"... (the same will happen with LOTR which I think most of us expect to be the centerpiece of the next park as well as feature in IoA).
I think Universal is smart to continue their Studios = Urban (realistic buildings, grounded in reality; minus Nintendo of course) and IOA = Fantastical approach (Crazy architecture; lands of the past, etc)..

I think Universal is smart to continue their Studios = Urban (realistic buildings, grounded in reality; minus Nintendo of course) and IOA = Fantastical approach (Crazy architecture; lands of the past, etc)..
I agree. While in general park-specific themes are becoming blurrier, they aren't completely disappearing. Studios went from a studio to a very urban themed environment. Fallon, F&F, Transformers, and all of Diagon very obviously follow this pattern. Springfield makes the idea little looser but still manages to hold true. Nintendo's dense and multilevel layout will bring it closer to this theme as well. IOA was and always will be a park of islands dedicated to completely different and unrelated themes, which is kinda its theme.

Hollywood Studios is the only major park that completely lacks a coherent theme that brings all of its lands together anymore. Epcot and DCA still work for now, but I believe DCA will go the way of DHS in the near future.

Reactions: shiekra38

I imagine if I were a huge Potter fan, having four parks with a portion of the world...well, that might make me think a week’s vactation makes sense.

Say I am a Nintendo fan, the same applies...and so on and so on.

No one park is isolated to one IP and folks have a reason to visit four parks.

That is sort of how I see it.

Anyway, I like what they did with Volcano Bay and look forward to seeing what they can do with room and a clean canvas.

I agree. While in general park-specific themes are becoming blurrier, they aren't completely disappearing. Studios went from a studio to a very urban themed environment. Fallon, F&F, Transformers, and all of Diagon very obviously follow this pattern. Springfield makes the idea little looser but still manages to hold true. Nintendo's dense and multilevel layout will bring it closer to this theme as well. IOA was and always will be a park of islands dedicated to completely different and unrelated themes, which is kinda its theme.

Hollywood Studios is the only major park that completely lacks a coherent theme that brings all of its lands together anymore. Epcot and DCA still work for now, but I believe DCA will go the way of DHS in the near future.
I've said before that Nintendo in Studios doesn't bother me as much as it probably should as a fan of original studios haha...As long as the properties are somewhat different between the parks, I could really care less....Diagon and Hogsmede feel different enough to me to not feel like a repeat...Nintendo would be best to follow suite....Mario and DK in USF and Poke or Zelda in IOA...

I'm amazed by how accurate the promo images and video for the new land is. Now, I know these are for Japan, but I believe everything in these two images will also be in our version. I'm guessing Japan will not be getting Donkey Kong since they purposely cropped it out or put the Mario Bros in front of it (if you look behind their butts in the first pic you can actually see palm trees and sand texture for where it goes in the art.)

I labeled real items for the land as best I could from researching the past year. I still get a kick out of seeing Yoshis walking across that bridge on the right, since that's where the Yoshi ride path will be above the land. So accurate. (As far as I've heard.) You may need to click and zoom in on the second one to see everything.

View attachment 5855

View attachment 5857

Unless I'm just looking at this completely backwards, the concept art and the leaked plans from Chip do not match up at all. In the art, Yoshi is between MK and DK. With the blueprints, it doesn't appear thats possible, Unless the MK building also houses Yoshi, but, even then, it doesn't seem to fit. The original leaked pitch concept art seemed to match the artwork above better. The changes that occurred between then and the submission of plans to the City don't seem to be reflected on the art for Japan.

Unless I'm just looking at this completely backwards, the concept art and the leaked plans from Chip do not match up at all. In the art, Yoshi is between MK and DK. With the blueprints, it doesn't appear thats possible, Unless the MK building also houses Yoshi, but, even then, it doesn't seem to fit. The original leaked pitch concept art seemed to match the artwork above better. The changes that occurred between then and the submission of plans to the City don't seem to be reflected on the art for Japan.
It lines up. Yoshi’s entrance is between MK and the tunnel to DK... But is more accurate to say Yoshi itself is located in front of DK.

Layout of each attraction/miniland:
Nintendo_USF_AreaMap3.jpg

Permits filed:
area-permit-map01.jpg

The bottom section is Mushroom Kingdom with Yoshi on right side of that area, below DK area, which is on top right.

It lines up. Yoshi’s entrance is between MK and the tunnel to DK... But is more accurate to say Yoshi itself is located in front of DK.

Layout of each attraction/miniland:
Nintendo_USF_AreaMap3.jpg

Permits filed:
area-permit-map01.jpg

The bottom section is Mushroom Kingdom with Yoshi on right side of that area, below DK area, which is on top right.

If Yoshi is on the right side of that area(the squarish part on the right side of the SW area), do the DK archways in the art sit right against ET? Also, that would mean that you'd have to walk down the tunnel the whole length of the Yoshi ride building. Looking at the plans, it looks like the tunnel would go between Yoshi and MK if the Yoshi building is on the right side of the area. aWhich would be a change from Japan's art.

If Yoshi is on the right side of that area(the squarish part on the right side of the SW area), do the DK archways in the art sit right against ET? Also, that would mean that you'd have to walk down the tunnel the whole length of the Yoshi ride building. Looking at the plans, it looks like the tunnel would go between Yoshi and MK if the Yoshi building is on the right side of the area. aWhich would be a change from Japan's art.
Yoshi ride path is on second story (even though its entrance is on first level.) Yoshi ride goes over the bridge. Walk under the bridge to enter DK.

Once you go under the bridge there’s a slight left turn to go to DK. Also under bridge on right is a land exit that leads straight to where ETs entrance area is.

Reactions: Magic-Man
Yoshi ride path is on second story (even though its entrance is on first level.) Yoshi ride goes over the bridge. Walk under the bridge to enter DK.

Once you go under the bridge there’s a slight left turn to go to DK. Also under bridge on right is a land exit that leads straight to where ETs entrance area is.

So there isn't really a Yoshi ride building?

So there isn't really a Yoshi ride building?
There is. But half the ride takes place outside. The queue and first/last part is in a tall skinny building in front of the middle of MK/DK.

Check out my new video for a better visual explanation. Been working on this all week. Let me know what you think y'all. (And sorry I'm fighting off a cold in the video.) It's the culmination of all my research thus far.

There is. But half the ride takes place outside. The queue and first/last part is in a tall skinny building in front of the middle of MK/DK.

Check out my new video for a better visual explanation. Been working on this all week. Let me know what you think y'all. (And sorry I'm fighting off a cold in the video.) It's the culmination of all my research thus far.

Great job as always! :thumbsup:

As far as Mario Kart has augmented reality been ruled out or is it still the rumor? I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around what this ride will be...which is kind of exciting

Personally I'm still not buying there is enough space for the ambitiousness of their plans. You can build up but I don't have faith in creative to do so, although last 4 attractions certainly prove I should have faith. I think they need ET but could and probably will be wrong.