Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disney's Hollywood Studios)

I guess my remaining question is whether or not they will plant on top of the tunnel itself. It will be interesting to see.
Interesting question since the tunnel is concrete. I can't imagine they would plant on both sides and leave a giant hole in the middle though.

If I had to guess there will be something there.

Overview

Battle Escape:

Falcon:

@Teebin, here's a good aerial showing the difference how they will be able to hide SW:GE well enough. The ground level is drastically different where the tunnel entrance is and above the tunnel. Since it has been filled in with nothing but dirt, the top of the tunnel will technically be ground level for that area.

It seems like they've taken a massive leap forward over the last month.

I guess my remaining question is whether or not they will plant on top of the tunnel itself. It will be interesting to see.

Interesting question since the tunnel is concrete. I can't imagine they would plant on both sides and leave a giant hole in the middle though.

If I had to guess there will be something there.

Based on the design they chose for the Grand Avenue side facade, there will be no planting on the tunnel. It drops off immediately on both sides of the tunnel, making it next to impossible to put dirt on top without it falling off and into Grand Avenue.

It will be planted up there. It's how they intend to hide the rock work from being seen from Grand Avenue. There's enough of a lip especially toward the exit of the tunnel into the land to fill it in with dirt and plants.

Last edited:
Yeah, there is a 4’-5’ lip on the top of both ends of the tunnel. So, they will fill that area over and it becomes a question of depth and whether there is enough to accommodate large trees etc. Either side of the tunnel will be fine for the big deciduous creatures.

It will be planted up there. It's how they intend to hide the rock work from being seen from Grand Avenue. There's enough of a lip especially toward the exit of the tunnel into the land to fill it in with dirt and plants.

Yeah, there is a 4’-5’ lip on the top of both ends of the tunnel. So, they will fill that area over and it becomes a question of depth and whether there is enough to accommodate large trees etc. Either side of the tunnel will be fine for the big deciduous creatures.
The top of the tunnel is the same height as the top of the walls that lead away from the tunnel.

5A8Gm9i.png

It's important to note that they still aren't finished filling in the dirt on the sides of the tunnel.

The basic description of the turntable patent allows for it to go 4 times slower at load/unload too. Perhaps they could literally move the boarding tunnel to sync with the (very) slow-moving RV pod to simulate NOT moving while you load. Most of the long tunnel stays still, but the final little room where only your party enters could (theoretically) move in sync with your vehicle. In any case, the load area is much slower than the regular ride path using this system.

From the patent:

More particularly, a ride system is provided that may be operated to achieve an omnimover ride with a generally circular path. Significantly, passenger vehicles are “chained” together as with prior omnimovers, but the vehicles may have varying velocities by changing their radial positions along differing portions of the ride path (e.g., a smaller radius in a station to facilitate loading and unloading and a greater radius in a show space or portion of the ride path to increase vehicle velocity such as by 50 to 100 percent or more).

The ride system includes a stationary and centrally-located platform for loading and unloading passengers and a turntable assembly.​

I think part of the reason the load station is in the center of the circle is that the RV travels slower when moved towards the middle, than when moved outwards to edge of the circle. See the illustration below:
View attachment 5885
By moving inwards the vehicle is traveling less distance, like a runner on the inside track. When the ride really begins after load, it moves outward, so travels a farther distance, not only giving more time for the ride, but also traveling 4 times as fast. Moving in the middle makes it twice as fast as the load platform, and so on.
View attachment 5886
And don't even get me started on what it'll feel like when the ride moves up and down while moving in and out along the path! Wow, this ride may feel crazy.
View attachment 5887
Note: It probably goes without saying, but for patent purposes regular omnimover ride vehicles are shown, but for this attraction imagine small simulator pods instead.

EDIT: I think my point is this giant turntable is already going really really slow, but they've figured out a way to move the RV to the inner part of the circle to make it even slower at load. With the ground moving at the same speed as the RV, you may not even realize it's moving.

DOUBLE EDIT: If you look closely at Figure 11B above, you may notice half of the ride vehicles are on the outside of the circle at Load/Unload area... That's because the system can actually go around twice for one show. That makes the ride twice as long, giving two full revolutions. Only every other car is in the load position at the load area, the others are still only half-way through their ride. So, yea. Something to think about.
Sorry I’m late to the party, but this isn’t the Falcon ride.

Assuming you're the real "Marni", you are most definitely not a rookie or late to any party.
Marni has been posting here for quite a bit. His posts have lined up with the info he places on Magic. No doubt in my mind it's legitimate Marni (Martin). And he's a close social associate with some of our most prominent members on IU, one of who "liked" his above post.

Marni has been posting here for quite a bit. His posts have lined up with the info he places on Magic. No doubt in my mind it's legitimate Marni (Martin). And he's a close social associate with some of our most prominent members on IU, one of who "liked" his above post.

That was what I thought. However, I wondered if some schmuck had usurped his name to plant false rumors.

Galaxy's Edge merch that was debuted at the Star Wars event a few weeks ago is now being sold in Tatooine Traders. There's also AP specific merch.

Galaxy's Edge merch that was debuted at the Star Wars event a few weeks ago is now being sold in Tatooine Traders. There's also AP specific merch.
I also believe I noticed this the other day, but some of the GE Merch is also now at Disneyland at their Launch Bay location, with a portion of the model there too.

I'm probably gonna break and get the GE tumbler. I'm not keen on most of the merch but I love the look of the tumbler and it would go with my Mission: Breakout one well.

I'm probably gonna break and get the GE tumbler. I'm not keen on most of the merch but I love the look of the tumbler and it would go with my Mission: Breakout one well.

This is a weird question but are the tumblers the same style across the board but with a different print for each ride?