Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Illumination's Super Mario Bros (2023)

Or it means Illuminations isn't the one doing it.

Illumination would likely be involved though since its plot and storylines are cheap and are designed to cater to the kids while minimizing the amount of cost. I would think Nintendo loves that. Plus, they got involved heavily because they don't want to be a debacle like the 1993 Mario Bros movie. I really hope it would be just as good as the BatMan Lego movie.

Illumination reshuffles their schedules all the time. I wouldn't be surprised if they just shift stuff around.

Or they just expand the studio a bit, because Mario is gonna make all kinds of money
They're already expanding though and I don't think they want to rush it at the detriment of earnings. They're going from 2 films every 2 years up to 3 films every 2 years soon, and by 2022, they'll probably be up to a permanent 4 films every 2 years just like DreamWorks.

Food for thought, what if the Mario film is being tackled the same way SNW was before it was announced, with scripts, mockup art, and some test footage to convince Nintendo to give Illumination a chance? I would think if a 2020 release is possible, they would've been in talks even before the original leak surfaced.

I hope. Have the Lego Movie guys do it.

Phil Lord and Chris Miller are currently attached to a lot of other films right now, including the likes of Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, The Lego Movie 2, and The Billion Brick Race. And while they are not directing those, Spider-Man and Lego Movie 2 are being primarily written by them.

I would imagine the film would most likely be written and directed by Pierre Coffin, as he's currently not apart of any project for right now, and has been a large influence for Illumination.

Phil Lord and Chris Miller are currently attached to a lot of other films right now, including the likes of Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, The Lego Movie 2, and The Billion Brick Race. And while they are not directing those, Spider-Man and Lego Movie 2 are being primarily written by them.

I would imagine the film would most likely be written and directed by Pierre Coffin, as he's currently not apart of any project for right now, and has been a large influence for Illumination.
Damn.

What about whoever did Lego Batman?

Damn.

What about whoever did Lego Batman?

That'd be Chris Mckay, who is currently working on a Nightwing movie at WB for DC.

He, however, was on Lego Movie; as an animation supervisor and co-animator, along with being a editor for the film itself.

Pierre, makes sense, as he was the director that, along with Chris Renaud (who is working on Pets 2 as Director), created the Despicable Me Franchise from the beginning, and that it could be a sign of good will and faith to bring him in.

That'd be Chris Mckay, who is currently working on a Nightwing movie at WB for DC.

He, however, was on Lego Movie; as an animation supervisor and co-animator, along with being a editor for the film itself.

Pierre, makes sense, as he was the director that, along with Chris Renaud (who is working on Pets 2 as Director), created the Despicable Me Franchise from the beginning, and that it could be a sign of good will and faith to bring him in.
If he’s the one that directs hopefully he pulls from the first Despicable Me for how he makes Mario.

Well yeah, Nintendo must be really excited to get the movie to be made.

Which I would say in that, may actually be a good sign for people to lower guard in regards to Illumination working with Nintendo on a Mario movie.

If he’s the one that directs hopefully he pulls from the first Despicable Me for how he makes Mario.

I would assume that he'd have people like Chris Meledandri from Illumination and Shigeru Miyamoto from Nintendo helping to keep quality as high as they can possibly make it, in order to not have it become a 90's Mario Movie situation. If done right, it could be the first real video game movie to really do well, regardless of the debate of live-action or animation.

I would assume that he'd have people like Chris Meledandri from Illumination and Shigeru Miyamoto from Nintendo helping to keep quality as high as they can possibly make it, in order to not have it become a 90's Mario Movie situation. If done right, it could be the first real video game movie to really do well, regardless of the debate of live-action or animation.
i would say that’s Wreck-It Ralph.

Kimishima: No decision on Super Mario Bros film made -

" He told Kyoto Shimbun that Nintendo wants to settle an agreement soon and make it public because they are aiming for a release around the 2020 Tokyo Olympics. "

Okay that makes more sense as to why they want it in mid-2020: The Tokyo Olympics run around July 24, 2020 - August 9, 2020.

Illumination could do that by slotting it in Minions 2's slot of July 3, 2020.

Probably just move Minions 2 to 2021. Still, they need to move quickly to announce this in the next 2-3 months if they're planning on a mid-2020 release.

Kimishima: No decision on Super Mario Bros film made -

" He told Kyoto Shimbun that Nintendo wants to settle an agreement soon and make it public because they are aiming for a release around the 2020 Tokyo Olympics. "

Okay that makes more sense as to why they want it in mid-2020: The Tokyo Olympics run around July 24, 2020 - August 9, 2020.

Illumination could do that by slotting it in Minions 2's slot of July 3, 2020.

Probably just move Minions 2 to 2021. Still, they need to move quickly to announce this in the next 2-3 months if they're planning on a mid-2020 release.

It makes sense considering that Super Nintendo World in Japan is scheduled to open that same year as well. If the movie hits well at the same time it opens, it would bring a lot of attention to SNW at Universal Studios Japan and possibly a boost for potential SNW in Orlando and Los Angeles.

ニュースリリース : 2018年2月1日

No idea what it says as I don’t know Japanese, but yea confirms the deal. I assume English translation/release to follow shortly

Nintendo of America also announced it as-well, as the film will be co-produced by Miyamoto and Meledandri.

At this point, I guess @Joe or @Brian G. should change the name to now match the announcement?

As for press release:

logo_illumination.jpg
logo_nintendo.jpg

Illuminations and Nintendo
"super mario" start planning and development of animated movies

Notice that Illuminations (Head office: Santa Monica, California, USA) and Nintendo Co., Ltd. (Headquarters: Minami-ku, Kyoto City, President: Tatsumi Kimishima) jointly started planning and development of movies dealing with the character "Mario" I will do.

Producer of this project is co-ordinated by Chris Meledandri, representative of Illuminations founder, and Shigeru Miyamoto, Nintendo's representative director fellow.

Universal Pictures and Nintendo will contribute to the movie, and Universal Pictures will distribute the film worldwide.

photo1.jpg
Chris Meledandri

photo2.jpg

Shigeru Miyamoto

Through this project, Nintendo will continue to make efforts to smile as much as possible to everyone in the world by positively using Nintendo IP (Intellectual Property) even in the form other than games.

Through this project, Illumination is a company proposition that all customers around the world will be pleased and discovered by injecting pleasure and discoveries into all the properties, connected with the world's most famous franchise loved characters and stories I will continue to work on achievement.

Last edited: