Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Illumination's Super Mario Bros (2023)

Shigeru Miyamoto's Mario character previously had only 1 movie to it's name and it was terrible. It took Nintendo decades to make a brave step to hand their ip over to Universal for theme park and movie use. They want this brand to live longer than 10 years. Milking the cow dry, what Disney does all the time, is just short term gain and killing their franchises. Star Wars did great without movies for decades and sold more merch than than after Mickey got it's greasy fingers at the brand. This Japanese company is all about moderation and that is amazing and very smart.
So when do we get Super Smash Bros. then? Lol

Once June hits it’ll be interesting to see it’s legs into summer. June has so many big hitters.

I don't think they're worried about its legs in Summer, since it's clearly doing just fine with the release period it's had.

It's all the other films that have to worry about each other, since this Summer is crowded to say the least. Some films are gonna' have to hit it big opening weekend, as their competition comes out the following week or two.

Just taking a look at other animated films, this is what we got.

Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse - Bit of a crowded time as Fast X and Little Mermaid are still fresh in theaters, and you have the new Transformers movie coming the week after.

...and just two weeks after Spider-Man, Pixar's Elemental releases along with the Flash.

...and two weeks after that, Ruby Gillman, Teenage Kraken...which might have the worst release date of them all as it's the same as Indiana Jones.

As I said, it's crowded. I honestly feel the next animated film that'll have some breathing room is TMNT: Mutant Mayhem at the start of August.

I don't think they're worried about its legs in Summer, since it's clearly doing just fine with the release period it's had.

It's all the other films that have to worry about each other, since this Summer is crowded to say the least. Some films are gonna' have to hit it big opening weekend, as their competition comes out the following week or two.

Just taking a look at other animated films, this is what we got.

Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse - Bit of a crowded time as Fast X and Little Mermaid are still fresh in theaters, and you have the new Transformers movie coming the week after.

...and just two weeks after Spider-Man, Pixar's Elemental releases along with the Flash.

...and two weeks after that, Ruby Gillman, Teenage Kraken...which might have the worst release date of them all as it's the same as Indiana Jones.

As I said, it's crowded. I honestly feel the next animated film that'll have some breathing room is TMNT: Mutant Mayhem at the start of August.
Dreamworks Teenage Kraken is coming out late June

I have a bad feeling it wont do well with all the other films out. I mean Spiderman and pixar new film will still be in theaters. But we will see

So maybe they will just do a film a year and not need one but dies anyone think Universal might open another animation studio or add to the dream works/illumination team

So universal can make sure they do original films plus more Nintendo films?

My guess is a Nintendo movie will only be once every couple years as an event for the studio. Even though the money is there, Nintendo wants to be in control and involved in the process so I don't think the production timelines can be sped up *too* fast. Also in-house IP are still valuable cause Universal gets a greater share of the profits vs. stuff like Mario where Nintendo will take a big share.

Not saying it has to but opening a new studio or adding more teams to Dream work/illumination would make sense unless Nintendo films really are just every few years

Minions will have a movie in a few years, shrek, plus dreamworks seems to love making new IPS which is great

So mainly thinking of a way to keep it where there staff get to still make passion projects along with Nintendo/Minion films/Shrek films
K
My guess is 2025/2026 we get the anticipated DK film that was announced before this film came out.

Maybe another year or two after for either Luigi Mansion or sequel, but after that I expect 1 or 2 a year. Studios like to see things work more than once before overloading on the idea

It's kinda tricky. On one hand. Making a movie per year is smart. It worked for marvel. For 10 years it worked for marvel. Strike while it's hot. It was an event that people expected. Not only that people wanted but it became expected to get that yearly marvel movie. Keep the Momentum.

But one bad movie could scare Nintendo away. Could ruin the whole thing.
And not all Nintendo properties are beloved equally. Not all Nintendo movies will make a billion. Not all games are equally popular.

So taking their time is smart too. It's so tricky. I don't know what I would do as the head of the studio.
Take too long and that had hurt franchises too. People move on. Kids grow up.

Last edited:
K

It's kinda tricky. On one hand. Making a movie per year is smart. It worked for marvel. For 10 years it worked for marvel. Strike while it's hot. It was an event that people expected. Not only that people wanted but it became expected to get that yearly marvel movie. Keep the Momentum.

But one bad movie could scare Nintendo away. Could ruin the whole thing.
And not all Nintendo properties are beloved equally. Not all Nintendo movies will make a billion. Not all games are equally popular.

So taking their time is smart too. It's so tricky. I don't know what I would do as the head of the studio.
Take too long and that had hurt franchises too. People move on. Kids grow up.
Or you could be Avatar and still pull 2 Billion 13 years after the first one :dizzy:

Or you could be Avatar and still pull 2 Billion 13 years after the first one :dizzy:
Which is really interesting because I've never met anyone that talks about avatar or never see anyone that wears an avatar shirt lol.
I know the park area is doing well. But, in general, the movie came and went and I even forgot about it till you mention it.

I'm sure a Mario bros 2 will do another billion years later, but I'm not sure if the other Nintendo properties would do as well.

Which is really interesting because I've never met anyone that talks about avatar or never see anyone that wears an avatar shirt lol.
I know the park area is doing well. But, in general, the movie came and went and I even forgot about it till you mention it.

I'm sure a Mario bros 2 will do another billion years later, but I'm not sure if the other Nintendo properties would do as well.
Avatar doesn’t rely on a fan base. It relies on the spectacle and wow factor, which is why it doesn’t need to sell merch or have a rabid fan base to be successful.

Apparently, Nintendo is so satisfied with the performance of the film that it wants to continue producing more adaptations of its most mythical sagas under the Nintendo Pictures label . Shuntaro Furukawa, current president of the Japanese company, has assured Nintendo shareholders during a question and answer session during the last presentation of financial results that they will use the Nintendo Pictures seal to produce more films based on their franchises. Furukawa has added that Super Mario Bros. The Movie is being “an absolute success”.

Incorrect translation...Here was the actual quote translated by nintendo. Nothing suggesting Nintendo Pictures will develop the films...just they plan to continue to find ways to expand the nintendo IP visually through various means.

There has been a positive reception worldwide to The Super Mario Bros. Movie, and Mr. Miyamoto (Nintendo Representative Director and Fellow), who served as co-producer of the movie also appreciates the response. I have heard that many are going as families, and that some people have already watched the movie multiple times. The movie is an opportunity for people of all ages, from small children to seniors, to come in contact with our IP, and not just those already familiar with Nintendo and Mario. As an example of our strategy of expanding the number of people who have access to Nintendo IP, this has yielded a great result. In terms of the impact on our business, in the short term, the revenues from the box office and secondary uses of the movie will be reported as sales in the current fiscal year (ending March 2024). But what is more important is that the movie inspires interest in Mario games and has a positive effect on sales of Nintendo Switch hardware and software over the medium to long term. In fact, we are already seeing a variety of positive effects. For example, sales are growing for Mario related merchandise, and there is a slight rise in activity for classic Mario titles that can be played through Nintendo Switch Online. In the long term, we think this will become a powerful touch point, turning people who have never really played games before into fans of Mario and Nintendo, and renewing the interest of people who used to play (on a Nintendo game platform) but are taking a break.

As for the future, we plan to pour our efforts into a variety of visual content, as we did last year with the consolidation of Nintendo Pictures Co., Ltd. as a subsidiary. We are very happy that this movie is a hit, but will remain focused on carefully developing and further expanding each IP while respecting its unique characteristics, just as we have done in the past. Through our strategy of expanding the number of people who have access to Nintendo IP, we want to bring people in contact with our characters and the worlds depicted in our games, with the goal of continually invigorating our core dedicated video game platform business.

Last edited:
This movie was atrocious. I left to use the restroom and then aimlessly wandered around the theatre before returning. I should have stepped into a different theatre or left. I didn’t laugh once from this memberberry frappe. Didn’t care about the characters, didn’t care for the voice acting, didn’t think the animation was impressive (princess peach had crazy eyes).

Soul, shrek, WALL·E, inside out, how to train your dragon … those are great. I don’t understand how this mess is making so much money (I used a free pass). It’s like the fast and furious ride but popular.

The Movie is now on Peacock

I'm excited to see the numbers it gets

Also I only saw it once (seen some scenes again online but not the full film)

So wanting to go back and see if its still see if the film is the 7/10 that it has become in my head or better then I'm giving it credit for