Illumination's Super Mario Bros (2023) | Page 27 | Inside Universal Forums

Illumination's Super Mario Bros (2023)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
No....its almost impossible to hit frozen 2 international numbers but it can get highest grossing animated film in the states which is I2 but not guaranteed yet. It needs to do better on weekdays or over perform for the next 4 weekends.

Yeah, with these weekday #s it's not going to match I2.

Reactions: Cup_Of_Coffee
The hate for this movie is ridiculous and incredible. I can't remember hatred this strong for a good movie. Can't remember. It's like the critics were begging for it to flop . Very weird.
A 45% drop is pretty good. I think.
The movie doesn't even have anything controversial. I've seen some article saying that reaching 1 billion will hurt the movie industry. Ridiculous
It reminds me of Joker and how they were screaming from the rooftops that bad things would happen at theaters and then… nothing happened.

Except of course with this they’re just saying it’s bad while the people that actually pay to see movies all seem to like it. Go figure lol.

• Sad
Reactions: Lucky Planet
It reminds me of Joker and how they were screaming from the rooftops that bad things would happen at theaters and then… nothing happened.

Except of course with this they’re just saying it’s bad while the people that actually pay to see movies all seem to like it. Go figure lol.
isn't it possible that there are people who just think both these movies are bad? that's how art works. some people like it, some people don't. there's no conspiracy here.

Reactions: Nick and salismetho
I suppose I don't agree with that reading of things, either. some critics, barely a plurality, dislike a movie you like. unless you're a shareholder, I don't see why that matters to any of you at all.
Because not just here but also in video games the opinions of critics or journalists in general have had sway in the direction some franchises go against what the actual fan base wants. Thankfully Nintendo is one of those companies that seems to mostly ignore them, which is why the Mario movie is successful. They didn’t “subvert expectations” and gave the fans of all ages what they want.

Because not just here but also in video games the opinions of critics or journalists in general have had sway in the direction some franchises go against what the actual fan base wants. Thankfully Nintendo is one of those companies that seems to mostly ignore them, which is why the Mario movie is successful. They didn’t “subvert expectations” and gave the fans of all ages what they want.
holy generalizations batman.

Reactions: Nick and Clive
isn't it possible that there are people who just think both these movies are bad? that's how art works. some people like it, some people don't. there's no conspiracy here.

I suppose I don't agree with that reading of things, either. some critics, barely a plurality, dislike a movie you like. unless you're a shareholder, I don't see why that matters to any of you at all.

One thing is to dislike a movie, say that it was dumb or something.
And another very different thing is to tell people to skip it, tell people that there's nothing to enjoy, to avoid it, and even say that if it reaches 1 billion it could affect industry, lol very very very different.
Saying a movie is bad or silly is one thing. Saying it's crappy is even part of a regular review, look at Renfield, it got bad reviews.

But to Literally tell your readers to stay away from it, that you shouldn't watch it, that it's gonna hurt Hollywood if it succeeded, that it is not for You, the public, to watch,
That's different

I thought this movie was fun. Definitely sits among the best Illumination movies, though behind Lorax, Minions 2, and of course Despicable Me in my personal opinion. It was held back by all the things I expected due to them being present in a majority of other Illumination films. I really hope, if a Zelda movie happens, it gets handed to Dreamworks
Would I recommend watching it though? Absolutely. It was very fun and would love to see some of these worlds used in a new 2d Mario platformer. Voice acting being good was the biggest surprise for me

I thought this movie was fun. Definitely sits among the best Illumination movies, though behind Lorax, Minions 2, and of course Despicable Me in my personal opinion. It was held back by all the things I expected due to them being present in a majority of other Illumination films. I really hope, if a Zelda movie happens, it gets handed to Dreamworks
Would I recommend watching it though? Absolutely. It was very fun and would love to see some of these worlds used in a new 2d Mario platformer. Voice acting being good was the biggest surprise for me
The only actual letdown for me voice acting wise was Fred Armisen as Cranky Kong. He didn’t fit at all and he sounded exactly like someone young trying to sound old. They should’ve actually gotten an old actor, lord knows there’s plenty of them lol

Reactions: GA-MBIT
The only actual letdown for me voice acting wise was Fred Armisen as Cranky Kong. He didn’t fit at all and he sounded exactly like someone young trying to sound old. They should’ve actually gotten an old actor, lord knows there’s plenty of them lol
guy keeps getting work huh?

Big numbers! And it hasn't even opened in Japan.

Interested to see what happens there.

I read that when this movie opens in Japan, that those two weeks have some holidays for Japan so it really will be very very interesting. Specially if kids are not in school. Not sure, but I heard it might be big.

Everyone is now hoping for all these Nintendo movies to come next, I see it as a good thing. I don't see it as bad. I would love more Nintendo movies.
Yeah. Seth Rogen was actually pretty good, fit pretty well. But cranky Kong was the worst part of the movie. I really don't get why they did that. I almost wish Seth Rogen had done both characters lol

Felt like a poor Larry David attempt - which I would've preferred the real thing at that point. :lol:

It definitely needed an older comedian. They could have chosen much better. It's really weird. Fred Armisen could have played a different character if he needed to be in the movie.

Reactions: Jerroddragon