Illumination's Super Mario Bros (2023) | Page 26 | Inside Universal Forums

Illumination's Super Mario Bros (2023)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I can’t believe they didn’t have those movies ready to release to begin with. Look how popular this movie is! Doesn’t Universal like money?!?
Execs at film divisions are generally wrong most of the time...and they survive when a movie or two makes blockbuster profits. These people aren't brain surgeons.

I would’ve preferred Disney. Illumination’s only really good movie was their first with the rest being ok to meh. As long as they don’t do anything outlandish like getting “real actors” to voice the characters it shouldn’t be too bad I guess.
I fully retract this statement after seeing the film. What a great love letter.

Yup. They could also do Metroid and possibly Star Fox.

And if you guys think the Mario movie is doing big numbers, just wait for Super Smash Bros.
I told my dad we may see a Star Fox movie in his life time. It's insane that it could happen

Reactions: Mike S
Movie was so mid but as a Mario fan I don’t care. Only thing is I’ve never had a movie made me feel like I had to breathe lol.

Reactions: Imperius
It's a beautiful movie and I quite enjoyed it. The voices took me a moment to get past only because when they (Mario and Peach primarily) spoke, I couldn't help but see Pratt and Joy. But it wasn't an issue. I thught the movie had some good humor and seeing the Rainbow Road/Mario Kart was a lot of fun. Good, light-hearted, easy-going fun.

Saw with my 6 yo grandson today in an almost full theater at 1015 this morning. There were several showings, almost every 30 minutes or so. A very fun and colorful movie. I'm old so was an Atari 2600 player in HS in college. We do have the switch and plsystation 5 but only one Mrio game so needed some help naming the characters.

that would be a pretty large decline, nearly 50 percent from three-day weekend to three-day weekend. getting into the $80-million range would be relatively good news, but frankly theater revenue is so weird now that I think it's reasonable to take a wait-and-see approach. will it have a big second-weekend drop but a long, relatively profitable tail? will parents take their kids a second time? who knows. word of mouth is also tough to judge because I've heard such disparate things from Big Nintendo Fans while its cinemascore is extremely high.

all to say, tough to say where this goes from here.

The movie is already a huge success at the box office.

When a film opens big (let's say over $100 million for opening weekend), any second weekend drop less than 60% would be considered a great hold.

Reactions: Mike S
I'm really happy this is such a success and I can't wait to experience it in real life in Orlando. Gee, I may have to get out to LA before! Of topic but after getting home from the movie, the grandson was doing Mario jumps ino the pool with fist held up shouting "Look at a Meee"!

Reactions: Lucky Planet
Once again the trackers ridiculously lowball this movie. It already has been reported for a $22.6 million Friday domestically which is a stronger hold than expected so if anything it's gunning for around an $85 million 2nd weekend.

1 billion is a lock for this movie.

Variety on Mario scoring a $22.6m Friday
Not only did the low ball it, it's now about to have the best second weekend for an animated film....

The hate for this movie is ridiculous and incredible. I can't remember hatred this strong for a good movie. Can't remember. It's like the critics were begging for it to flop . Very weird.
A 45% drop is pretty good. I think.
The movie doesn't even have anything controversial. I've seen some article saying that reaching 1 billion will hurt the movie industry. Ridiculous

Not only did the low ball it, it's now about to have the best second weekend for an animated film....

That's pretty impressive to say the least, especially since it hasn't been released in Japan yet. Conversely, the previous record holder (Frozen II), was released in Japan the same day as the major markets so Super Mario Bros is pulling in a better hold with less markets.

Mario has the #2 weekend 2 at the domestic box office since Endgame in summer 2019. It's only below Top Gun Maverick, and this is just based on estimations so it could climb in the actual totals tomorrow.

The theory that the movie was frontloaded due to adult Nintendo fans all rushing to see it is dead now. This movie is a hit with everyone with these legs.