Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

SeaWorld Orlando's Future Plans

"Coaster investments in Florida for the 2016 also produced negative attendance growth at both SeaWorld and Busch Gardens Tampa, suggesting a conflict between offerings and public demand."

"You don't need more coasters. You need attractions with lower height limits to encourage families to come back. Building more coasters instead is putting you in the opposite direction of Cedar Fair, Disney, and Universal in terms of their trends."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In the wake of Dragons closing, reading this really hurts. I have to wonder if big roller coasters are just not a lucrative market in Florida? Thankfully such a trend is certainly not nationwide as evidenced by Cedar Fair's record 2016 attendance as they continue adding big coasters (Valravyn, Fury 325, Banshee, Mystic Timbers).

"Coaster investments in Florida for the 2016 also produced negative attendance growth at both SeaWorld and Busch Gardens Tampa, suggesting a conflict between offerings and public demand."

"You don't need more coasters. You need attractions with lower height limits to encourage families to come back. Building more coasters instead is putting you in the opposite direction of Cedar Fair, Disney, and Universal in terms of their trends."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In the wake of Dragons closing, reading this really hurts. I have to wonder if big roller coasters are just not a lucrative market in Florida? Thankfully such a trend is certainly not nationwide as evidenced by Cedar Fair's record 2016 attendance as they continue adding big coasters (Valravyn, Fury 325, Banshee, Mystic Timbers).

I'm going to work on doing a podcast soon with Alan on this, but I think it's a few factors, not just "coasters don't deliver". I think Mako is a foundation but not a building block, if that makes sense.

Anyway, Alan has part 2 up now.

Parkscope: What's happening with SeaWorld? Part 2: The Plan?

Yes, investment companies, by nature, are kind of evil. They strip assets & retirement funds and close down operations that were successful for the most part. They've ruined many a community with plant closings, corporate office shutdowns, etc. They suck out profit, consolidate operations and put very little back in... But that said, Blackstone is the Dark Side of the investment companies, rotten to the core, the worst of the worst.

Certain investment companies...mind you Universal bought USJ from Goldman Sachs.

That does seem to be the way Universal is moving, which explains the Fast & the Furious that we're getting. Wish it would have been built 10 years ago by the "Old Universal" when the franchise already had 3-4 films under its belt.

Certain investment companies...mind you Universal bought USJ from Goldman Sachs.
Them too. Even the ones that are considered on the 'slightly' less evil ethical side have brought devastation to communities through closings to accommodate short profit gains. And Goldman Sachs was one of the major causes of the worldwide recession and near collapse of the financial sector due to their very questionable investment strategies, derivatives, and may I say, snake oil salesman tactics. Unfortunately, it's the nature of the beast. There's no "good guys" in the bunch.

^^At very, very least, F&F is supposedly the last screenz ride we're getting for the time being. :fingers crossed:

As I said earlier in this thread, Universal might still be able to re-claim to being the best place in Orlando for roller coasters in a few years, given SWO's outlook--though not in all of Central Florida, assuming BGT isn't in danger of closing. It would really suck to go from CF having nine B&Ms in 2016 (yes I'm counting Dragons as two) to four.

I hope Mine Blower puts Fun Spot on the map.

Last edited:
^^At very, very least, F&F is supposedly the last screenz ride we're getting for the time being. :fingers crossed:

As I said earlier in this thread, Universal might still be able to re-claim to being the best place in Orlando for roller coasters in a few years, given SWO's outlook--though not in all of Central Florida, assuming BGT isn't in danger of closing. It would really suck to go from CF having nine B&Ms in 2016 (yes I'm counting Dragons as two) to four.

I hope Mine Blower puts Fun Spot on the map.
The Busch parks can still be the coaster capital while attracting families..

I don't understand this article or the notion that coasters no longer work, Mako & Cobra's Curse did fantastic things for domestic attendance, up double figures at SWO in 2016, it's just that Brazil bombed out completely.

There are also many factual errors littered throughout the article that makes the core message less believable. (Antarctica is not on weekend only operation for example and hasn't been for the best part of a year.)

Last edited:
I don't understand this article or the notion that coasters no longer work, Mako & Cobra's Curse did fantastic things for domestic attendance, up double figures at SWO in 2016, it's just that Brazil bombed out completely.

There are also many factual errors littered throughout the article that makes the core message less believable. (Antarctica is not on weekend only operation for example and hasn't been for the best part of a year.)
I don't think anyone said coasters don't work...It's just the type and the marketing...For the record, I think Mako and Cobra both serve a very important purpose

Heard today that the numbers for both SeaWorld and Aquatica have been really good. Aquatica actually set attendance records in February with the hot weather. The feeling is that the park (and the company as a whole) have started to turn a corner and recover. Of course this comes just a little too late for Manby...

Heard today that the numbers for both SeaWorld and Aquatica have been really good. Aquatica actually set attendance records in February with the hot weather. The feeling is that the park (and the company as a whole) have started to turn a corner and recover. Of course this comes just a little too late for Manby...
Good on them. Clearly the Seven Seas Food Fest has been successful, since it was extended a couple weeks. And I'm actually looking forward to Electric Ocean again. Now if we can just improve ride upkeep and daily operations, the parks could move up a few pegs in my book.

Both the water park and SeaWorld are getting (good) new rides this year, so that should help too.