Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure Construction Discussion | Page 107 | Inside Universal Forums

Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure Construction Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think one thing we need to keep in mind is that this new attraction will not get a free pass from theming like Dragon Challenge did. Rowling and Warner are tough taskmasters, as they should be. They keep UC on the straight and narrow, and protect the integrity of the IP. :)

That steel retaining wall box next to the train station is so curious. Are they trying to keep earth from falling in or trying to keep earth from falling out?

The rest of it just appears like gibberish to me.

Curious indeed. It really appears to be sheet piling when you just look at the material. But to have it setup like that? And it's hard to tell from the aerials, but they are buried at staggered depths.

Interested to see if the queue/station building will get any exterior work. A random castle doesn't make much sense for entering the Forbidden Forest and the style of the castle is definitely more reminiscent of the original Lost Continent theme rather than Harry Potter. If not, not a huge deal - especially if the interior is completely overhauled and amazing - but would still like to see some sort of new facade work done, personally. As it stands now, it just looks a little out of place.

A Quidditch stadium perhaps?
I think that could have the potential to look really cool next to Hogwarts! But I'd just be happy with anything to bring it up to the level that the rest of the land is at since, we're going to see the outside of the building at some points - walking up to it in the queue and potentially on the ride. I assume they have plans, but I guess we'll see.

I think this attraction needs to have a full sized dead Acromantula.

On another note, does anyone here have the full engineering plans for this project? They would be most helpful. :)
UC has done a pretty good job at keeping this one under wraps.

I'm starting to lean towards no indoor scenes at all after you board the coaster.

Reactions: fryoj
UC has done a pretty good job at keeping this one under wraps.

I'm starting to lean towards no indoor scenes at all after you board the coaster.

“Scenes”.

But yes this one has been tight lipped. I’ve talked to people and the ones who usually know things or have seen things are totally in the dark.

Extent of my info:
  • Coaster that won’t go over paths or require metal detectors
  • Outdoor portions
  • Project changes in the late summer (budget or scope not sure)
  • Highly hinted at that it’ll be the Forbidden Forest
  • Likely Intamin ride system

“Scenes”.

But yes this one has been tight lipped. I’ve talked to people and the ones who usually know things or have seen things are totally in the dark.

Extent of my info:
  • Coaster that won’t go over paths or require metal detectors
  • Outdoor portions
  • Project changes in the late summer (budget or scope not sure)
  • Highly hinted at that it’ll be the Forbidden Forest
  • Likely Intamin ride system
Thanks for the updated info. :thumbsup:

A bit of quick analysis/speculation based off these aerials:
I think it's fairly safe to say, assuming these are indeed coaster footers, that this won't be an inverted coaster. Traditional sit downs have supports directly underneath the track, as seen here, as opposed to inverts having offset supports compared to the ride path and alternating between left/right side of the track.
Second, I don't think much can be said about having square versus circles or any other shape footers, as most companies have utilized more than one shape. But, I found the seeming "random" alignment of the squares compared to the ride path to be interesting and I did a bit of looking through rcdb images to see if there were any trends in companies doing this. I couldn't find any examples of Intamin coasters with this arrangement. Their square footers seem to almost always be parallel to the ride path. Mack and Zierer seem to use these styles much more often.
In fact, this shares a remarkable similarity to Verbolten's opening slow section, which also features footers positioned in seemingly "random" ways.

Of coarse this is all speculation based off concrete

Aren't larger indoor coasters sometimes built first and then the building shell built around them? At least footers and coaster foundations? Could a building, either over a small section, or the entire thing, still be coming, even after the supports are installed? Or is that just wishful thinking?

Aren't larger indoor coasters sometimes built first and then the building shell built around them? At least footers and coaster foundations? Could a building, either over a small section, or the entire thing, still be coming, even after the supports are installed? Or is that just wishful thinking?
Yes, usually the building could be built after.

Building is usually built after.

I would not be expecting a large scale building though. If one is constructed it'll be on the smaller side and only cover a portion of track

Reactions: jtsalien
Definitely happens (and is easier than installing track after building is up), but the last indoor "coaster" Universal built was Gringotts, and they put up the building first for that and track afterwards.

This is curious.

IMG_20180214_184530.jpg

It's this from the water plans.

FSKQf_Ts.jpg

Too small for black lake, unfortunately :(

Interested to see if the queue/station building will get any exterior work.

I thought this exact thing. Especially with all of the work happening right behind it; and what appears to be access from other aspects of the train station.

DWB9qRHXcAQvdNi.jpg

That left opening on the train station would allow you to funnel straight into this area; if it were to be more than "just" a coaster.

I also thought they were going to save some room for future expansion, thinking there was no way they would be able to use all this room for just a singular ride- but I'll be damned- it looks like they are going to use it all.

This is either going to be:
A) A very long ride for a coaster
B) Be more than just a ride and have more expansion than we thought.

I'm hopeful for B. That much room would be a shame to use for a single ride. The caveat being, if they do, at least it will be a monster of a ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.