Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks | Page 468 | Inside Universal Forums

Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
It’s fun and all. But I know a few of us have been posting some real tidbits now and again.

Now whether or not our tidbits are currently outdated or not remains to be seen. So, let the speculation continue! :clap:
Yeah, the inside info has been the most helpful as always.

Overall it sounds like Universal was designing this from 2013-ish to 2017 and had filed for permits on KZ replacement by mid-2017.

The question is "why change plans?" if they do end up changing it.

D23 may have had some impact with how broad/expansive Disney's plans are across its resorts. That might have pushed Universal to want to go bigger.

But the more important reason is probably that the 3rd dry park is now much closer to being on the horizon than it was when the original plans were created.

I'd imagine Universal was all-in on replacing KZ back before the 475 acre land purchase.

Then you get to late 2017 and the shovels are supposed to go in the ground, but the bosses want the 3rd dry park built by 2022-2023 and they want the Mushroom Kingdom et al as a showcase there...

At this point, it sounds like if KZ ends up being the spot, we'll know over the next 12-18 months.

If nothing happens (or Hello Kitty does), then it's going to the 3rd dry park.

At least that's a narrative for if they do end up shifting it away to the south park...

Super Mario and Donkey Kong NOT Headed to Universal Studios Florida - Supposedly - Theme Park University

...so bad sources I'm guessing? Or is Josh actually picking up on some out-of-left field surprise info?

(...it's bad sources)

I don't believe what he's saying.

Great. I hate when people believe this kind of stuff...Only a matter of time before the AP page blows up with this

Ahhhh... the good old days. Before everything got confusing as hell :curse:

IMO, Pokemon and Hello Kitty sharing a land is kind of brilliant in a way.
- They're both cutesy Japanese series full of wacky creatures. They wouldn't clash too much in a land together.
- The Japanese theme could tie into a larger Japanese area to improve the theme of USF.
- Together, those two IPs basically appeals to kids of any gender.
- Both IPs lend themselves really well to family friendly flat rides. Hello Kitty could basically be anything, a Mater's-type whip ride based off Pokemon such as Tauros and Gogoat would be incredible, a carousel where you can actually ride on a Pokemon's back would be adorable, etc.
- Both are IPs that don't exactly have distinctive locations. HK obviously doesn't really have locations to pull from, but Pokemon also doesn't have a Peach's Castle or Mushroom Kingdom equivalent that's distinctly recognizable by all ages. The closest they have is the imagery of Pokemon Centers which would just be one building, out of many. Not much to pull from when trying to build a huge land. So honestly, it doesn't really need a HUGE land. Something small could work just as well.

I just meant the rockwork. Repaint it darker brown, and carve new faces with viking hats and blammo... Berk!

Hyrule on the other hand, more medieval village, less rock.

I mean, it depends on what you're going for with a Zelda land. Personally I think Castle Town is the worst possible choice for Zelda, as it's the least visually interesting locale. But I think they'd have to do a knock down/rebuild no matter what goes into LC

Reactions: happy bunny rabbit
So, I have no insider information of any sort, but if I were designing theme parks for Universal, and we're planning to build a whole new park, there's really only one choice: put Super Nintendo World (or Mario Land, or Mushroom Kingdom, or whatever it'll be called) into that new park.

We already know that millions of people will go to a park (or two) solely because of Harry Potter (heck, I am one of those people). Nintendo/Mario is the only other (non-Star Wars) property that will cause millions of people to go a park just because it is there*. The only other possibility is Pokemon, which maybe would have enough of a draw, but Mario appeals to more generations than Pokemon simply because it's older, and I don't think it's a question of which property will draw more people. It's Mario.

So, if there's gonna be a new park, Mario goes into it.

*unless Middle Earth is a thing...

Reactions: Iwalkpluto
I mean, it depends on what you're going for with a Zelda land. Personally I think Castle Town is the worst possible choice for Zelda, as it's the least visually interesting locale. But I think they'd have to do a knock down/rebuild no matter what goes into LC
We’d likely see a mix that has Castle Town and the Lost Woods/Korok Forest. Makes the most sense imo. Have the E Ticket in the Castle, some shops and a restaurant, then Korok forest with some small things and a Lost Woods maze leading to the Master Sword.

IMO, Pokemon and Hello Kitty sharing a land is kind of brilliant in a way.
- They're both cutesy Japanese series full of wacky creatures. They wouldn't clash too much in a land together.
- The Japanese theme could tie into a larger Japanese area to improve the theme of USF.
- Together, those two IPs basically appeals to kids of any gender.
- Both IPs lend themselves really well to family friendly flat rides. Hello Kitty could basically be anything, a Mater's-type whip ride based off Pokemon such as Tauros and Gogoat would be incredible, a carousel where you can actually ride on a Pokemon's back would be adorable, etc.
- Both are IPs that don't exactly have distinctive locations. HK obviously doesn't really have locations to pull from, but Pokemon also doesn't have a Peach's Castle or Mushroom Kingdom equivalent that's distinctly recognizable by all ages. The closest they have is the imagery of Pokemon Centers which would just be one building, out of many. Not much to pull from when trying to build a huge land. So honestly, it doesn't really need a HUGE land. Something small could work just as well.
Where does the Safari Zone E Ticket go?