Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Lionsgate World Resort

Thoughts on SkyPlex?

• I want it!

• I have concerns, but still want to see it built.

• I hate it!

• I don't care.

Results are only viewable after voting.
While they didn't formally say it, one of his prerequisite projects, which was the Hollywood Plaza parking garage suffered a setback with the loss of its 2nd and best tenant, the rooftop Le Cirque Circo. He's previously indicated he wanted to get that project built and fully occupied before he began Skyplex to fund the financing payments for it. He previously said that should be done early next year but with this loss, it remains to be seen how long it takes to do that.
He claims he already has another tenant in line, but paperwork needs to be finished.

Orlando Business Journal posted a subscriber only article yesterday with the following headline:
"Skyplex developer: Ride parts being built, themes being considered"

I have access to the entire article and while it is interesting, it doesn't say much more than that. But it is good news.

While the ride parts may be manufactured, the building has not yet broken ground. Until that happens it's a metal sculpture under construction.
Yeah I mean, the ride is actually the cheap and easy part of all this. Building the 500 ft tall building is what's going to be the hard part.

While checking for endless summer FAA height approval permits, I noticed that this project has also filed and application for new permits with a construction start date next spring. Probably not worth getting excited over though given that the reason they are applying for new permits is that the old ones are expiring without them doing anything.

I think i'm one of the few that believes that this is actually going to happen. I don't know why I think so, I just feel like it will.

The Perkins has to close before they can start construction, correct? So that's pretty much the sign on if there's any movement on this or not.
I also think it will happen.

What will open first, this or Nintendo? :grin:
Thats the question, this will happen, its not a question of if, but when, the guy has too much invested in it and is dreaming about it too much for it not to happen. Before he starts, he needs Hollywood Plaza completed and fully rented out to afford the financing payments, him losing his tenants there was a huge setback.

Out of curiosity, what's wrong with Skyplex?
The problem is that this is a $500+ million development being built by a company that owns a couple of restaurants. Much like the coasters and attractions of Vegas, if (and it's still a big if) this gets built, the business model is not good and the charge to do any of these attractions will be ridiculous. I personally don't think this will ever be built.