Fast & Furious: Supercharged - General Discussion | Page 358 | Inside Universal Forums

Fast & Furious: Supercharged - General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I agree that the Rat is kicking Universal's butt in the 2018-2021 time period, but that's part & parcel of a cornered Rat fighting back after a long snooze. And I'm pleased that Disney is putting some nice new product out there. I'm even considering an all WDW vacation within the next two years. And, I'm sure UC's eyes have been opened on what they need to do....That said, I don't really give much credence to these attendance "guesses" TEA posts. USF/IOA is a unique creature. Two parks within walking distance that are now connected by the best money generator in themeparkdome, namely the Hogwart's Express. Universal has stated that 80% of all tickets sold are park hoppers since HE opened. I'd venture that most guests, especially tourists, are park hopping nearly every day. TEA only counts (guesses) one click per day, so Universal is really getting shortchanged on the true attendance number. There's a lot of park hopping going on at WDW, but I doubt it reaches the percentages that you have at Universal. There is no way that DHS has more attendance then either of the Universal parks. You'd have to stack people on top of one another to fit that many in that small space that has "4" rides, even considering they filter in and out over a normal day. And all of these parks throughout the world that are stand alones aren't subject to the one click stigma. So these attendance comparisons aren't really all that telling. Revenue is what is most important, and that's what counts most.

I agree that the Rat is kicking Universal's butt in the 2018-2021 time period, but that's part & parcel of a cornered Rat fighting back after a long snooze. And I'm pleased that Disney is putting some nice new product out there. I'm even considering an all WDW vacation within the next two years. And, I'm sure UC's eyes have been opened on what they need to do....That said, I don't really give much credence to these attendance "guesses" TEA posts. USF/IOA is a unique creature. Two parks within walking distance that are now connected by the best money generator in themeparkdome, namely the Hogwart's Express. Universal has stated that 80% of all tickets sold are park hoppers since HE opened. I'd venture that most guests, especially tourists, are park hopping nearly every day. TEA only counts one click per day, so Universal is really getting shortchanged on the true attendance number. There's a lot of park hopping going on at WDW, but I doubt it reaches the percentages that you have at Universal. There is no way that DHS has more attendance then either of the Universal parks. You'd have to stack people on top of one another to fit that many in that small space that has "4" rides, even considering they filter in and out over a normal day. And all of these parks throughout the world that are stand alones aren't subject to the one click stigma. So these attendance comparisons aren't really all that telling. Revenue is what is most important, and that's what counts most.
Yeah, park hopping at Disney takes ages compared to at Uni. Getting a bus to DHS can take hours. :ack:

Reactions: Mad Dog
I agree that the Rat is kicking Universal's butt in the 2018-2021 time period, but that's part & parcel of a cornered Rat fighting back after a long snooze. And I'm pleased that Disney is putting some nice new product out there. I'm even considering an all WDW vacation within the next two years. And, I'm sure UC's eyes have been opened on what they need to do....That said, I don't really give much credence to these attendance "guesses" TEA posts. USF/IOA is a unique creature. Two parks within walking distance that are now connected by the best money generator in themeparkdome, namely the Hogwart's Express. Universal has stated that 80% of all tickets sold are park hoppers since HE opened. I'd venture that most guests, especially tourists, are park hopping nearly every day. TEA only counts (guesses) one click per day, so Universal is really getting shortchanged on the true attendance number. There's a lot of park hopping going on at WDW, but I doubt it reaches the percentages that you have at Universal. There is no way that DHS has more attendance then either of the Universal parks. You'd have to stack people on top of one another to fit that many in that small space that has "4" rides, even considering they filter in and out over a normal day. And all of these parks throughout the world that are stand alones aren't subject to the one click stigma. So these attendance comparisons aren't really all that telling. Revenue is what is most important, and that's what counts most.
TEA doesn't use "First Click". That is an internal metric Disney uses to figure out how many physical bodies are at the whole resort. Disney and Universal also know by the hour how many people are in each park. TEA numbers counts parkhopping.

Interesting that you're planning a return trip to WDW. Do you think the gondola system will have an impact on where you plan on staying?

Reactions: happy bunny rabbit
Interesting that you're planning a return trip to WDW. Do you think the gondola system will have an impact on where you plan on staying?
I've generally stayed at Caribbean when we've visited in the past. I always liked the theme & resort, though the original food court selections and food quality sucked..... It kind of depends on the price. It's presently more expensive than CBBR , but not quite as good. If they hike the price too high due to the gondolas, I'll look for an alternative. But I do like the gondola concept....No way I'd stay at the Value resorts They're way too tacky and Motel 6 ish.

I've generally stayed at Caribbean when we've visited in the past. I always liked the theme & resort, though the original food court selections and food quality sucked..... It kind of depends on the price. It's presently more expensive than CBBR , but not quite as good. If they hike the price too high due to the gondolas, I'll look for an alternative. But I do like the gondola concept....No way I'd stay at the Value resorts They're way too tacky and Motel 6 ish.

I’m thinking about staying at Pop Century because of the recent renovation and it’s still in a relatively good location. Caribbean was my first choice but the place is a construction zone and the saved money will be better spent upgrading at Universal when I switch there.

By the time you go, I think CBR, will be one of the busiest resorts and the renovations should make a huge difference plus a direct link to the gondola at the right placement. I’d like to say that Disney won’t increase their prices but it’s Disney and the hotel will have a huge benefit over the other moderate resorts.

I’m thinking about staying at Pop Century because of the recent renovation and it’s still in a relatively good location. Caribbean was my first choice but the place is a construction zone and the saved money will be better spent upgrading at Universal when I switch there.

By the time you go, I think CBR, will be one of the busiest resorts and the renovations should make a huge difference plus a direct link to the gondola at the right placement. I’d like to say that Disney won’t increase their prices but it’s Disney and the hotel will have a huge benefit over the other moderate resorts.
Yeah, it's certainly not cheap right now even. I can stay at Portofino, with it's Stay More Save More discounts during non peak seasons, for about the same price as Caribbean now. That's absolutely ridiculous. So if they hike it to their WDW deluxe level prices I will not go there for sure.

I would also mention for that Disney is spending BILLIONS to counter Universal now, where Universal is spending millions to maintain and grow the business. Universal's business strategy may be better overall, getting a lot more ROI.

Yeah, it's certainly not cheap right now even. I can stay at Portofino, with it's Stay More Save More discounts during non peak seasons, for about the same price as Caribbean now. That's absolutely ridiculous. So if they hike it to their WDW deluxe level prices I will not go there for sure.

The prices I'm getting just now, Disney's value resorts are slightly cheaper than Universal's but they're not even remotely comparable but Caribbean is similar pricing to Portofino and again, they're not even remotely comparable. I'm currently stuck between Hard Rock and Royal Pacific and for Disney, I'll almost never be in the room, so it doesn't matter so much.

Reactions: Yung1522
Pretty sure Universal is spending a couple billion relatively soon...
And that is when the balance will change again (or Disney will really have to spend more billions to counter).

Compare the money spent on Pandora with the money spent on Volcano Bay. I'd bet VB cost less and has done more to increase spending overall for Universal.

Back to the topic at hand, F&F may be a terrible attraction to many people, but it's something new and something to plus Universal and keep people coming through the gates. Will it cause the 15% bump that DAK got, no, but it will keep attendance growing year over year for a fraction of the cost of a Disney addition.

I forgot I was in the F&F thread for a minute there, reading through the Disney vs Universal stuff. I just got back from my Universal trip and I don’t see this ride being a good addition imo. Sure it probably helps with the crowds but this ride is just not good, Kong does a much better job of using the ride system.

I’ll throw my two cents in too, I did an all WDW vacation recently and stayed on site at their deluxe resort. I did park hopper and all. I also did the same trip for Universal, stayed at Portofino and I thought the WDW trip was much better and more fun. My family thought the same. I did love Volcano Bay though. Alright sorry, just had to add that in there.

I forgot I was in the F&F thread for a minute there, reading through the Disney vs Universal stuff. I just got back from my Universal trip and I don’t see this ride being a good addition imo. Sure it probably helps with the crowds but this ride is just not good, Kong does a much better job of using the ride system.

I’ll throw my two cents in too, I did an all WDW vacation recently and stayed on site at their deluxe resort. I did park hopper and all. I also did the same trip for Universal, stayed at Portofino and I thought the WDW trip was much better and more fun. My family thought the same. I did love Volcano Bay though. Alright sorry, just had to add that in there.

I’m doing a week at Disney and every day is crammed with things to do, particularly with restaurants to try. I’ll be doing 8 days at Universal but that’s more of a base for other things to do in the Orlando area.

That’s why Universal needs a new park to compete at a higher level.

To get this back on topic, I wonder if this is the end for F&F at the parks or whether Universal go all in a new ride at the new park, whether it’s a coaster or the Test Track type ride that everybody was expecting.

Not to get too far off track, but Universal is working on 30+ attractions for Orlando. They are letting Disney have their day.

Do you think Universal would ever do something like this?

tM1gHyi.jpg