Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal Studios Beijing (Now Open)

So you’re saying that none of the rides in the concept art will show up?

What I'm saying is that image came out 2015 and we already know some stuff seen in that image aren't being seen in the plans for USB. Also the image says conceptual...also based on the track...and the location of the track...its the ice track of the dragon challenge

F5G2GGFM2ZFGPNFGEE3EMIAUBQ.jpg

What I'm saying is that image came out 2015 and we already know some stuff seen in that image aren't being seen in the plans for USB. Also the image says conceptual...also based on the track...and the location of the track...its the ice track of the dragon challenge

F5G2GGFM2ZFGPNFGEE3EMIAUBQ.jpg

Important to note that DreamWorks wasn't in the fold when this was put together either. Let alone the crazy success of JW.

Dream Works will be a big part of this since Kung Fu Panda is apparently a bigger IP in China than anything Disney owns. I think that will be important to success in China, actually playing to what the Chinese public knows and loves.

I found it shocking that the biggest IP gets for the Chinese market are Garfield (which Six Flags secured) and Kung Fu Panda since they would be considered nothing draws for a park here.

In many ways it won't matter what the IPs they use over there are for us here in the US. Universal will be using other people's money to develop new stuff which can be adapted for use here (in Park 4 and the existing properties) in other ways, just like Disney is doing with their Asian investors.

What do you think are the chances we will get the Lights Camera Action attraction that they built at Universal Studios Singapore? Great filler attraction.

What do you think are the chances we will get the Lights Camera Action attraction that they built at Universal Studios Singapore? Great filler attraction.

I do agree that it's an outstanding attraction that feels like a modern Backdraft, and I hope it comes to Beijing.

Will it? I think the chances aren't as large, but I would be happy to see that come in for the Hollywood area.

Lights Camera Action was probably my favorite attraction in Singapore. It's so classic Universal. I hope something similar is created for Beijing.

From the other site...

Beijing is further behind at this stage than Shanghai was. Woodbury and Company have axed plussed attractions and unique ones for copies and let's not even discuss the utter stupidity of not weatherizing this park correctly. But this is the same guy who was recently given added funds by his Comcast overlords for Orlando and told his team that they were going to sit back a bit and wait to see how all of the Disney development affected the overall tourism sector. Really.

From the other site...
Not sure how accurate any of that can possibly be. Truly those speculations sound nonsensical. Comcast increases budget from 3.3 billion to 6.5 billion just to axe plussed(bigger) attractions and unique(requires R&D) rides for carbon copies. What they are claiming is being done typically is used as cost saving measures yet just over a month ago the budget was nearly doubled. Hate to say this but sounds like more a negative opinion piece than truth. I may be off base but hey I’m new hear so I’ll ask you all to forgive me.

Not sure how accurate any of that can possibly be. Truly those speculations sound nonsensical. Comcast increases budget from 3.3 billion to 6.5 billion just to axe plussed(bigger) attractions and unique(requires R&D) rides for carbon copies. What they are claiming is being done typically is used as cost saving measures yet just over a month ago the budget was nearly doubled. Hate to say this but sounds like more a negative opinion piece than truth. I may be off base but hey I’m new hear so I’ll ask you all to forgive me.

You could also point out, for those who did see the leaked concept art, certain things are very much apparent that are unique and very differing from previous versions of those IP's represented.

As MD said though, Spirit is not a good person to look at for Universal, and I would be shocked if he's right.

If I'm not mistaken, Spirit's main Uni source is a former Universal Creative member who now works for a sub-contractor. That person has a fairly negative opinion of Mark Woodbury and his management style. I have heard he is hard to work for, and "artists" are a sensitive lot, so I can see where animosity could come from. That said, Spirit always gets a rather dire story about what goes on over on Turkey Lake. Woodbury did get growing internal resistance against his "Universal Studios is the Film Technology park" idea. But the discord inside UC is greatly overstated. The few I know love working there and are proud of what they have created.

I believe Spirit's source is seeing what we are seeing, which appears to be Uni slowing down after D23, when the opposite is what is happening. Changing and augmenting plans can look like sitting back from certain perspectives. Particularly to a sub contractor who was supposed to have been providing elements to a project that has been moved.

Last edited:
If I'm not mistaken, Spirit's main Uni source is a former Universal Creative member who now works for a sub-contractor. That person has a fairly negative opinion of Mark Woodbury and his management style. I have heard he is hard to work for, and "artists" are a sensitive lot, so I can see where animosity could come from. That said, Spirit always gets a rather dire story about what goes on over on Turkey Lake. Woodbury did get growing internal resistance against his "Universal Studios is the Film Technology park" idea. But the discord inside UC is greatly overstated. The few I know love working there and are proud of what they have created.

I believe what Spirit's source is seeing what we are seeing, which appears to be Uni slowing down after D23, when the opposite is what is happening. Changing and augmenting plans can look like sitting back from certain perspectives. Particularly to a sub contractor who was supposed to have been providing elements to a project that has been moved.
Sounds like Whylightbulb is creeping around again. :lol: