Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Disney/FOX Acquisition Thread

I wouldn't mind Comcast dropping Sky and just go after the Fox entertainment assets. FX Networks, 20th Century Fox, and Hulu are far worth to American consumers than a foreign asset that barely anyone cares or knows about. At this point, Comcast isn't gonna have enough money to acquire all of the assets Murdoch is selling to Disney, which seems to be at a complete advantage. It's already July 11th, and we're 16 days away from Fox shareholders voting on whether to accept a bid from Disney or not. Comcast CEO Brian Roberts already made himself clear he wants all of the Fox key assets, not just Sky.
From sources it seems the opposite is happening. Comcast is dropping Fox and going all-in on SKY.

Same article sites that Comcast did its job and made Disney overpay. And for all we know that was their intent from the get go. They showed there hand and stated their price they were willing to go to as a way to get Disney to keep bidding. It’s like a poker game sometimes it’s not about winning the hand but to just up the hand with intent of making those around you lose there betting cash and Comcast just wanted to up the pot not win it. This “win” for Disney also ties their hands with debt allowing Comcast to invest like crazy while Disney will have to slow its roll. This is all speculation on my part but I’m optimistic Comcast has something big in store for us.

Also I do hope that Comcast instead goes for Viacom it’s such a steal 15 billion tops would be more than enough to get it and the ips like Mission Impossible, Star Trek(movies), hasbro(TMNT, Transformers, GI Joe), the Nick brand, countless channels(plus international) etc. For that price and some new management with these brands would flourish(Mission Impossible is doing fine though) just my 2 cents

This “win” for Disney also ties their hands with debt allowing Comcast to invest like crazy while Disney will have to slow its roll.
Not quite. Since Disney's bid is 50/50 cash/stock the debt burden will be far less significant than you would think after the sale of the RSNs, and nearly wiped out completely if they decide to sell the 39% stake in Sky to Comcast. Disney is actually in a really good position here. They could easily return to attractive leverage in less than a year.

Not quite. Since Disney's bid is 50/50 cash/stock the debt burden will be far less significant than you would think after the sale of the RSNs, and nearly wiped out completely if they decide to sell the 39% stake in Sky to Comcast. Disney is actually in a really good position here. They could easily return to attractive leverage in less than a year.
Well Disney would also acquire fox’s debt as well let us say investments made prior to sale(Sky”cough””cough”) Hate to say it but Disney values Sky as much as anyone and to loose out on sky would be a huge hit to them. And this sure does seem like quite a lot for Disney to have to do to just come away with nothing but star and a majority of Hulu. Comcast would just volley back and say well we want sky and have the majority and you want Hulu so “let’s play make a deal” sky is the big gain here it is crown jewel comcast would be the victor here. Everyone keeps forgetting that streaming and a large catalog of entertainment are great but you still have to have internet to reach people and who would control that Comcast. And I feel the regional sports channels are valuable but when your pressed to to sell the buyer will know this and get to underprice it as your the one needing to sell not them having to buy. And the point for Comcast was making them come with cash don’t forget Disney was trying to get away with no debt just stock. All this is speculation of course but I feel there is a plan here.

Also I could have swore that one of Disney’s actual stipulations was that Sky in its entirety had to be part of the deal. Sky was what they were truly after. Am I wrong here?
But if correct and Fox looses out on Sky couldn’t Disney pull out of their bid to acquire Fox. Then the real looser will be fox shareholders as the stock would fall as Comcast would have the leverage to make a new price. Just because an off exists nothing is finalized so if the offerer pulls new bids may be filed and without sky no way is fox worth the 71+billion it’s going for.

DOJ just announced they're going to appeal the AT&T/Time Warner merger decision.....So I would think that really complicates Comcast going after Fox with a new bid. It makes it more questionable on whether Fox board/stockholders want to risk a Comcast possible problematic situation. Perhaps Comcast will direct their efforts to the Sky buy now.

This is definitely getting more and more interesting.

Justice Department will appeal Time Warner-AT&T merger approval

Seeing how this IS the Trump administration appealing this after all and the fact they behave unethically is the reason why they're rejected in the first place, I don't see how this is gonna go anywhere nor any more interesting whatsoever. They're just putting it for the show to show at least they want to prevent AT&T-TW from merging.

Seeing how this IS the Trump administration appealing this after all and the fact they behave unethically is the reason why they're rejected in the first place, I don't see how this is gonna go anywhere nor any more interesting whatsoever. They're just putting it for the show to show at least they want to prevent AT&T-TW from merging.
Your points have merit....but it does serve to slow the purchase processes down. Time is often a factor that plays out to the detriment of a deal in the making...

Your points have merit....but it does serve to slow the purchase processes down. Time is often a factor that plays out to the detriment of a deal in the making...

The DOJ just want to delay the inevitable to show how "tough" and "good" they are, even though they have no credibility whatsoever in court that AT&T-Time Warner merger would actively harm consumers, plus Trump's personal bias against CNN played the role as well. Seeing how this is coming off as highly idiotic and desperate (the DOJ say they won't appeal, yet did it anyways the next month), this should have no bearing on Comcast's decision to acquire Fox, since we all know the DOJ is going to lose the appeal anyways.

I'm pretty lost at this point, but Comcast's stock is finally making (and keeping) its gains again so I'm happy with whatever is happening :lol:

Not...really? Sky is the most important part of the package for Comcast

The reality is that most people don't care about a foreign pay TV over 20th Century Fox, Hulu, and FX Networks, except the top executives and shareholders of Comcast and Sky. Regardless, whether Comcast gets Sky or not, losing out Fox to Disney would be the biggest embarrassing legacy on the part of Comcast and in American entertainment and media history.

The reality is that most people don't care about a foreign pay TV over 20th Century Fox, Hulu, and FX Networks, except the top executives and shareholders of Comcast and Sky. Regardless, whether Comcast gets Sky or not, losing out Fox to Disney would be the biggest embarrassing legacy on the part of Comcast and in American entertainment and media history.

It would get Comcast's foot much more into the European market, which could actually impact Foreign Satellite markets for the long-term (but who do I know). Hell, I think a potentially great outcome could be if they could try to get some of the assets of Fox Sports, as Disney I thought is being forced to Divest.

DOJ Antitrust Head: Fox-Disney Deal “A Victory For American Consumers” | Deadline

Not everything is about the US....and effectively so in the upcoming months. We are a global marketplace which means if you lack a foreign presence you have little to no power in terms of making your brand successful as your competitors. Ask CBS how well its working out for them.

That is why Sky matters. Fox was extra...besides if you took the time to see NBCUniversal job openings you will see they are working on getting content and acquiring content within 18 different countries which makes Fox really unnecessary just to get properties which most Fox don't even own.

Either way, If Disney gets FOX, they are gaining 39% of SKY... which means they have a bargaining chip with Comcast for any number of things - their 30% of Hulu for example.

Since Hulu isn't valued as high as Sky is, Disney could probably ask for cash considerations to equal the valuation of Sky's 39%.