Director James Gunn under fire for offensive tweets [Update: Fired] | Inside Universal Forums

Director James Gunn under fire for offensive tweets [Update: Fired]

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
To say this, what he posted was really..really bad. And that I won't go onto what it meant, as people fan find the images and sources of what he said elsewhere, but that I somewhat expected this to happen.

What this means for the future of the Guardians, varies. In the immediate, I am guessing that Guardians will still continue on; but will not come out on it's target date.

Guardians is still a large franchise for Marvel; and I imagine they'll want to keep it going, regardless if they need to change how some things work.

What I am concerned with, is the galactic portion of the MCU, as he was going to oversee a part of that (was mentioned in interviews); so my curiosity strikes to what they are going to do for that front on the large-scale.

Woah, this escalated really quickly.

I like Gunn, but what in the world was he thinking with those tweets?

It always seemed like Marvel was going to make Gunn the next Russo Brothers and put him at the directoral center of the MCU. I wonder who the next in that line will be.

Marvel's going to have a tough task finding somebody who can slip into GUARDIANS VOL. 3 and still deliver that particular brand of humor... assuming that they're throwing out Gunn's script for 3, which was reportedly basically finished.

Gunn put so much of his own sensibilities into those characters that he was called in to handle the characters' dialogue in INFINITY WAR. I don't know who they could get for 3 that wouldn't result in it feeling like an imitation.

To say this, what he posted was really..really bad. And that I won't go onto what it meant, as people fan find the images and sources of what he said elsewhere, but that I somewhat expected this to happen.

What this means for the future of the Guardians, varies. In the immediate, I am guessing that Guardians will still continue on; but will not come out on it's target date.

Guardians is still a large franchise for Marvel; and I imagine they'll want to keep it going, regardless if they need to change how some things work.

What I am concerned with, is the galactic portion of the MCU, as he was going to oversee a part of that (was mentioned in interviews); so my curiosity strikes to what they are going to do for that front on the large-scale.

Yeah this is troubling on many levels.

There's no defending what he said, and that's why he hasn't attempted to either. But to lump this into the same category as using ethnic slurs in company meetings, or slinging targeted harassment on Twitter.... Doesn't sit right with me.

I think people have a right to make mistakes and grow from them. I whole heartedly believe the James Gunn that just got fired isn't the same one who made those jokes. And that's the issue here for me. They were ill-informed, gross, and not suitable for a company like Disney... But they were intended for entertainment and attention. And also public knowledge when he got hired. It's just mob mentality that pushed Disney now.

I don't know what the right thing to do here is. But I don't think this is it.

Boy-That-Escalated-Quickly-Anchorman.gif

So now one should act the way your company wants you to act when you're out of work? Soon we're all going to be voiceless.

Reactions: SkiBum
Yeah this is troubling on many levels.

There's no defending what he said, and that's why he hasn't attempted to either. But to lump this into the same category as using ethnic slurs in company meetings, or slinging targeted harassment on Twitter.... Doesn't sit right with me.

I think people have a right to make mistakes and grow from them. I whole heartedly believe the James Gunn that just got fired isn't the same one who made those jokes. And that's the issue here for me. They were ill-informed, gross, and not suitable for a company like Disney... But they were intended for entertainment and attention. And also public knowledge when he got hired. It's just mob mentality that pushed Disney now.

I don't know what the right thing to do here is. But I don't think this is it.

This was also part of a coordinated, targeted hit job from convicted rapist and known conspiracy shiller Cernovich, the guy behind "Pizzagate" (which almost got people killed). He and his ilk are scum, and Disney just bowed to their pressure.

Disney knew about these tweets. Gunn has apologized for these tweets, publicly, several times. He came out of Tromeo, a production company known for being over-the-top insane in its provocation. I'm not saying those tweets aren't gross - they are. But this sets a terrible precedent.

Status
Not open for further replies.